Player Discussion Aatu Raty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm sticking with my low end Eriksson Ek comp.

Thats not too optimistic is it?

Just hoping he gets the roller blades and heads up Sedin hill this summer and that they slow cook him and resist the urge to plant him on the NHL team out of the gate next year. Spot him a few call ups and 10-12 4th line minutes for 23/24 and do it right for once.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
He's the 2C in Abbotsford. The #1 C is Justin Dowling.

The lines right now are :

Karlsson-Dowling-Hoglander
Rau-Ratu-Nielsen
Bains-Wouters-Klimovich
Gatcomb-Alfaro-Arsenault

2nd and 3rd lines see basically the same TOI at ES.
It was a reference to this from like 2 weeks ago:

Finally, a natural center prospect to get somewhat excited about. The Abbotsford Canucks are currently using Chase Wouters; Nils Aman, Chad Rau and Justin Dowling down the middle.

Nothing against those players, but Aatu automatically becomes their top-line center. Just for selfish reasons, would like to seem him between Podkolzin and Klimovich in his debut.

Reactions: MS

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I called Raty a B prospect when the trade happened and a lot of people here really, really didn't like that take.
B Prospects are longshot NHLers such as Truscott. Raty isnt a longshot NHLer, I think everyone in the scouting community think he is going to be a middle 6 NHLer but people question where its going to be and what his offensive ceiling is.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
B Prospects are longshot NHLers such as Truscott. Raty isnt a longshot NHLer, I think everyone in the scouting community think he is going to be a middle 6 NHLer but people question where its going to be and what his offensive ceiling is.
Just for some sort of context, this was almost exactly the same thing people were saying about Horvat after the Canucks drafted him.

'Average' skater who projected a 2-3 center who was good on the draw but lacked the playmaking ability to play any higher in the lineup.

It really is about Raty himself and the Canucks player development people to find out what his ceiling is.

SKYOcc

Oct 9, 2021
1 assist in 8 games, not off to a blazing start for Raty, definitely needs another season in the AHL at this rate.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

He’s probably right.

A lot of people can’t just learn to skate better. Everrrryone is always, oh, we’ll just do to them what we did to Horvat.

There’s mechanics that just can’t be changed in some and for every Horvat there’s a dozen guys who’s skating never got better.

Well, first off, there’s absolutely nothing to suggest he could step into the NHL now, nor is he tracking to do so. There’s a chance, but unless that skating drastically improves, he’ll get rolled in the NHL. I highly doubt ‘everyone’ sees Raty as a sure thing for the NHL.

Second, if Raty is an A prospect what would Petterson have been when he was playing in Sweden? You seriously lump these two together? He’s a B prospect.

Reactions: me2 and byrath

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
For people freaking out let’s hold our horses , it’s his first year in North America and it’s obvious he needs one more season so let’s not rush the kid ,

He is also on a new team in a new system so calling this kid a bust is ridiculous he’s 20 years old and not everyone lights the lamp early . I wish he was producing better but he will finish off strong I’m sure .

Colliton has done wonders this season for Bains and Klimovich, So there is no reason why Raty also can’t finish the season strong and develop.

It’s been a frustrating year especially with prospects if we look at how Lekkerimacki produced this year , And Rathbone etc.

But I’m willing to give Raty a year to develop especially considering he won’t be 21 until next November

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to give Raty some chops for admitting in an interview with Canucks Army, that in his mind, his play has 'sucked' so far. But if he's frustrated with the way things are going, then is probably a good sign. It shows he cares, and knows he's got more to give.

But fans expecting him in Vancouver next fall are in for a disappointment. Looks to me like he'll need at least another year in Abbotsford. He needs to dominate at the AHL level first.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
You have to give Raty some chops for admitting in an interview with Canucks Army, that in his mind, his play has 'sucked' so far. But if he's frustrated with the way things are going, then is probably a good sign. It shows he cares, and knows he's got more to give.

But fans expecting him in Vancouver next fall are in for a disappointment. Looks to me like he'll need at least another year in Abbotsford. He needs to dominate at the AHL level first.
Well he's here now so LETS GOOOO

Reactions: mossey3535

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Yah this kid stinks lol. I don’t think we see him in the NHL ever.
Yeah, I would put pretty good money on him getting some actual ice time with the Nucks . No reason to not give him a few games, and it certainly would be appreciated by him seeing that his daily game pay goes from $700 to more like $5000.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the canucks might have the worst center depth in the league. they only have 2 nhl centers and that's if you count miller. that's the only reason raty is up

Feb 19, 2018
Something I noticed and I have no idea if he just likes collecting jerseys with different numbers on the back is he always changes it. If you look back to his days in Finland and WJC etc he always has a different # on the back of his jersey.

He’s going to wear #27 for the Canucks.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Something I noticed and I have no idea if he just likes collecting jerseys with different numbers on the back is he always changes it. If you look back to his days in Finland and WJC etc he always has a different # on the back of his jersey.

He’s going to wear #27 for the Canucks.
He's going to be our next Manny Malhotra, confirmed!

Or Brad Isbister, perhaps...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad