Aaron Judge or Connor McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aaron Judge or Connor McDavid

• Aaron Judge

• Connor McDavid

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It’s completely irrelevant to the question being posed, and the popularity of baseball may even skew this in Judge’s favor… but I will never be as “impressed” with ANY baseball player as I can be with even the all-stars in hockey who aren’t all-time legends. Datsyuk, Fedorov, the Sedins, Forsberg… yes, all “greats” to be sure, but not in the conversation for most dominant or all-time best status. Heck, even guys Panarin or Gaudreau… to me being a 100+ point player in the NHL is far more impressive than anything you can do on a baseball diamond, and it’s just down to the differences in the sports. I played baseball from 7-16 year old (hockey from 4-present, I’m 37).

I’ve played on some men’s softball teams in the interim years and genuinely enjoy it for what it is, so not a hater by any means. Hockey is simply a different beast.

Just handling a pass in stride - on ice skates, with a small stick blade - can be as tricky as Jeter fielding a hard grounder up the middle, and to control that pass, maneuver body position on the defender and thread another pass to an open teammate, while skating, while a defender does everything in their power - including running you over - to make it impossible for you to do so is just a different level of athletic skill, IMO. To be able to do that, have that second pass result in… maybe a shot on goal and puck kicked to the corner, which you then go and battle for and win, using body position, fighting through checks, pivoting on ice skates, to then go make another tape to tape saucer pass, follow the puck to the net, get your hands on a bouncing rebound, control that and then snap it into the net… all in a 45 second shift… it’s just not the same, to me. An amazing shortstop will make an insanely athletic stop on a hit, manage to flip it to the 2B and initiate the double play and the also be a .340 hitter but they’re rarely doing everything all at once and they’re never doing anything for more than like 8 seconds at a time. To do some of the things that Crosby or McDavid do, being an elite hockey player period is simply far more impressive, IMO.

I’ve heard hitting a pro pitcher is the toughest task in sports, but overall I agree with your take. by most measures, hockey should be very high on the skill list, baseball very low. In hockey you simply gotta master and combine more athletic skills imo.

That said, damn, Judge on pace for 62!? I think McD still stands above his peers more because he produces the numbers every year, whereas Judge has been outdone by Ohtani and Trout until this year, no? But it becomes a Crosby/Mac/McD sorta progression at a point, dude is hittin crazy this year.

Reactions: LokiDog

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Someone hasn't heard of Arte Moreno.
And Shohei will cement his legacy by taking control of his career instead of languishing with a franchise that doesn't know it's own ass from a hole in the ground.

Mike Trout staying with the Angels is on Mike Trout, and nobody will ever know if he was even a playoff performer.

One of the biggest what ifs in MLB history.

Reactions: Video Nasty

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They both haven’t won championships. Couple of losers

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Judge in his two best seasons (2022 and 2024) has a 19.7 WAR in 285 games. Ohtani’s two best seasons (2022 and 2023 while pitching as well) has a 19.5 WAR in 292 games. It’s so close but to say greater just wouldn’t be true. Maybe in terms of how cool it is. McDavid is better than both in a relative sense. Ohtani is a unicorn and does stuff we haven’t seen in a very long time but that doesn’t make him clearly better than even Aaron Judge let alone the best of other major sports. For me to agree with your statement I feel like Ohtani would need to be clearing Judge by at least several points in WAR.
Which is why I specifically said greater and not better. Who is better is too close to call right now. But it's clear that what Ohtani did was unprecedented, where as what McDavid and Judge have done, while impressive, is not unprecedented. Ohtani's feats meanwhile have redefined the expectations of an entire sport, elevating his legacy to an even higher level of historical relevance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad