Post-Game Talk: A successful season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Oh well. Beat Calgary in the playoffs which is nice, likely won’t see them again in the playoffs for another 20 years.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
This team is already winning. No they won’t win the cup this year, but the same can be said about 31 teams every year.
Well the post was about the other teams threatening to win the cup have a Norris d, so I thought we were talking about wanting to win the cup and how a d man drafted today won’t contribute to that goal.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Sure. But Smith had the clear. The idiot official kept it in. When the puck touches official, and prevents exit play should be blown dead. The NHL needs to look at this. It caused another very important goal tonight. Also if you noticed the Oilers D are HORRIBLE at gettign the puck out. That Smith is better at outs than his D is saying something.

It's a risk it can happen. Smith can't control his ego. For some reason he wants to make that high risk play. I don't see other goalies do it like him because there is the risk it can hit a ref, you can fan on it, it can hit your player etc. It's a bad risk to take.

He just doesn't learn.

I've said it before I'll say it again. Smith ends the playoffs the way he started it. Costs the team the game trying to be too clever with the puck.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
He can't. Skinner is waiver exempt and Smith untradeable. That's your tandem next year
A veteran goalie at $2M is not untradeable, he just wouldn't be a starter for anyone unless they had injuries. Teams like Pittsburgh/Nashville (this year) would trade for someone like Smith as insurance for the playoffs since they had goalie injury issues leading into the post season. They literally started AHL goalies during the post-season.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Really? I said it before and during the playoffs too lol. When is it going to be time lol.
I don't know that we need to be carving Pulju today, on elimination night when theres going to be some feels and frayed nerves. Maybe save it for any other time. The reason this org got bad in a hurry was deciding all its players weren't good enough to keep. We been doing that for decades. One of those players, Cogs, even bit us in the ass this series.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well the post was about the other teams threatening to win the cup have a Norris d, so I thought we were talking about wanting to win the cup and how a d man drafted today won’t contribute to that goal.

I was replying to the Toronto pushed narrative part of your post.

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
Avalanche were better this year and derserved the series win.

Sucks for 97 and 29. They are dynamite players and I feel for them.

Koskinen has already signed in Europe. Smith has 1 year 2 M left and honestly needs to retire. The thing I dislike about him is he blames everyone else for his mistakes. 3 ridiculous plays this postseason all resulted in goals. Game 1 vs LA, game 4 vs Calgary and tonight.

He had some good games in the playoffs but when he is bad he is bad.

We need a legit number 1 goaltender. That needs to be the priority.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It's a risk it can happen. Smith can't control his ego. For some reason he wants to make that high risk play. I don't see other goalies do it like him because there is the risk it can hit a ref, you can fan on it, it can hit your player etc. It's a bad risk to take.

He just doesn't learn.

I've said it before I'll say it again. Smith ends the playoffs the way he started it. Costs the team the game trying to be too clever with the puck.
We can agree that we need a starting goalie. But I was saying that a year ago.

• Haha
Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Pulju + Barrie for Skjei
Keith retires

Keith retiring is not as much of a stretch as some might think. His actual salary next year is low.
I hope you are right because we do have some great young D-men in the system and at age 40 you don't get much better. It's ok if you are named Keith and playing for the Stones but not for the Oilers.

Reactions: Cloned

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't know that we need to be carving Pulju today, on elimination night when theres going to be some feels and frayed nerves. Maybe save it for any other time. The reason this org got bad in a hurry was deciding all its players weren't good enough to keep. We been doing that for decades. One of those players, Cogs, even bit us in the ass this series.
I’m not carving him. Just trying to figure out how he went so 180 from the 1st half to the 2nd. Makes me a bit paranoid about him.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Ahh yes. The bubble where it was scrims and most of the guys were just easing their self into it. Broberg is a lot like Nurse without the physicality.
Whoa, the players came out and said he looked amazing in interviews after scrimmages and everything, surely we can put some stock into that kind of hype :sarcasm: :laugh:

Conspiracy theory about Jesse: he’s purposefully throwing the last half of his season to get the trade he’s always wanted.
More likely he's just the dumb player he always was. Once a new coach and new system came into play, he was moved out of that narrow little role of playing sidekick to the best player in the NHL and his overall game tanked hard because he doesn't really know how to make an impact in this league.

Reactions: TypeSly

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
STrange post. Yama GA has been horrible all season and playoffs. Somehow we have him on pk. At least with pulju there is the thought of an upside. I think something is wrong with his body still, could be impacting mechanics still. eVerything from skating to shot. He's not comfortable. but the same player had 10G and 23pts in first 29GP this season. You DON'T give up on a player like that. That the Oilres do is the reason we have limited useful depth.

I can't agree with this take. We've seen Yamo have good runs in his tenure here as well, with far less turbulence. The difference is he gives you far more consistency when not scoring compared with Jesse. Jesse literally breaks up offensive plays because he doesn't know where to be. Million dollar package with a ten cent head.

Also I believe Drai was asked earlier on in this run about Yamo being a popular linemate and players wanting to play with him. I think it's the complete opposite when it comes to Jesse. You can see the body language in the players on the ice with him. Constantly looking off passes to him because they're afraid it's going back the other way on an odd man. And like even today, what in the f*** was that turnover that should have been a goal when it was 1-0. He shot it right at the guys chest? Not exactly confidence inspiring. I've never really been against the player as I've seen what he can do when he has confidence. But when confidence is lacking, the guy's a complete liability. Yamo, even when not contributing on the scoresheet hounds the puck and forces turnovers, while Jesse does this as well, he's not nearly as consistent as Kailer. If you can get anything for him I'd say move him, unless you have a bead on his training this summer and are confident he's coming back ready to play.

Reactions: TypeSly

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think his contract negotiation is going to be hard. With how much the Finnish media and the analytic people hype him up contrary to reality, he is going to want big money.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I was replying to the Toronto pushed narrative part of your post.
I get it, I’m not pushing that narrative, I don’t think these guys want out, but 5 years is past both of their contracts, and so one has to consider the potential that one or either of them are fine. But I wasn’t really trying to get into that, just that we cant be looking to the draft to solve what ails this current team in defence. It’s either in the system today, or will need to be acquired is how I see it. Doesn’t mean drafting isn’t important, they still need to focus on that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Whoa, the players came out and said he looked amazing in interviews after scrimmages and everything, surely we can put some stock into that kind of hype :sarcasm: :laugh:

More likely he's just the dumb player he always was. Once a new coach and new system came into play, he was moved out of that narrow little role of playing sidekick to the best player in the NHL and his overall game tanked hard because he doesn't really know how to make an impact in this league.
Hmm can’t see it like that. McDavid or no McDavid line there was nights he was flying and in perfect positioning all game long.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad