Post-Game Talk: A successful season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'd keep Yamamoto but not PJ. He has really regressed and I'm not sure why. Agree with moving on from Kass . Barrie only if we can get a shut-down type of D.
STrange post. Yama GA has been horrible all season and playoffs. Somehow we have him on pk. At least with pulju there is the thought of an upside. I think something is wrong with his body still, could be impacting mechanics still. eVerything from skating to shot. He's not comfortable. but the same player had 10G and 23pts in first 29GP this season. You DON'T give up on a player like that. That the Oilres do is the reason we have limited useful depth.

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
I'd keep Yamamoto but not PJ. He has really regressed and I'm not sure why. Agree with moving on from Kass . Barrie only if we can get a shut-down type of D.
To me, Jesse seemed kinda loss out there, especially against the Avs. Honestly don't think he realized how intense and physical the playoffs is, especially after the last 2 playoffs before this run.

More I think about it, more I kinda hope Jesse goes back to Europe.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Maybe Broberg is our Norris D
He looked like a poor man's Nurse this season, so it seems somewhat unlikely he'll reach that level.

Who knows though, maybe he gets back to that level we saw in the bubble where he skating through teams like a young Coffey and had the entire Oiler media base pretty much ready to jettison Bouchard in favor of Broberg.

TypeSly

Jan 29, 2010
Wayne Gretzky Drive
Honestly, I don't even care about the OT winner, high-stick or not. We were outclassed and had no chance without Draisaitl and Nurse at close to their peaks.

Agreed. But for a different reason. For me it was over with Smith sh*tting on his team in the third period over and over. The guy could barely stop a wrist shot from the point after the second period. I just knew that the Oilers had to score in OT before the Avs get a scoring chance, because it was gonna go in if they did. And sure enough, the Avs scored on their first scoring chance in OT 🙄.

Reactions: McOilers97

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's the scary part, your probably not far off. But of the don't do anything about goaltending things will ne no different
I think they want Skinner to be the backup but Smith is under contract and I think he is liked on the room, so I don’t see him going.
Although I could see the team trading Skinner away for a pick just to keep Smoth

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Mike Smith's temper tantrums after letting in goals just really adds to my level of frustration and negative feelings towards him. It's the worst. If he is the starter again next year... I'm giving up right now.
He was incensed that the official stopped the puck from going out of zone and then doesn't get the freeze call on the goal against. I mean the officials CAUSED the puck turnover on the Smith clear. Least they could have done is blow the play down, or at least blow a whistle when the puck was tied up. Its enough to drive anybody. Smith knows how the officiating BS went down in this series and remember Smith has been run the last two series as well and seen a lot of hacks and hits on him that weren't called.

Billy Smith would have carved one of the officials after the game. Really wouldn't blame him either.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Would be nice, but a d man drafted this year may be a stud in 5 years, if you are lucky. By then if this teams isnt winning it’s not this team, it won’t have 97 or 29
This team is already winning. No they won’t win the cup this year, but the same can be said about 31 teams every year.

Reactions: oilers'72

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He looked like a poor man's Nurse this season, so it seems somewhat unlikely he'll reach that level.

Who knows though, maybe he gets back to that level we saw in the bubble where he skating through teams like a young Coffey and had the entire Oiler media base pretty much ready to jettison Bouchard in favor of Broberg.
Ahh yes. The bubble where it was scrims and most of the guys were just easing their self into it. Broberg is a lot like Nurse without the physicality.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Conspiracy theory about Jesse: he’s purposefully throwing the last half of his season to get the trade he’s always wanted.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
STrange post. Yama GA has been horrible all season and playoffs. Somehow we have him on pk. At least with pulju there is the thought of an upside. I think something is wrong with his body still, could be impacting mechanics still. eVerything from skating to shot. He's not comfortable. but the same player had 10G and 23pts in first 29GP this season. You DON'T give up on a player like that. That the Oilres do is the reason we have limited useful depth.
Puljujarvi's problem isnt his body, its his brain

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Obviously I disagree with your opinion on Yamamoto, but we really have to look at finding a way to keep Puljujarvi.

His defensive stats are amazing, he does so many little things that go undervalues. I still think that scoring touch can come back, and I have a bad feeling that if we give up on him he'll explode elsewhere.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
He was incensed that the official stopped the puck from going out of zone and then doesn't get the freeze call on the goal against. I mean the officials CAUSED the puck turnover on the Smith clear. Least they could have done is blow the play down, or at least blow a whistle when the puck was tied up. Its enough to drive anybody. Smith knows how the officiating BS went down in this series and remember Smith has been run the last two series as well and seen a lot of hacks and hits on him that weren't called.

Billy Smith would have carved one of the officials after the game. Really wouldn't blame him either.
Or maybe instead of chasing the puck way in the corner late in a game with a 2 goal lead....

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Just like he was forced to address goaltending for his entire tenure?
I agree. I think it's at a boiling point now. This team with a badly injured nurse and drai were a goaltender away from finals.

Imo not fixing goaltending is a fireable offense.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Or maybe instead of chasing the puck way in the corner late in a game with a 2 goal lead....
Sure. But Smith had the clear. The idiot official kept it in. When the puck touches official, and prevents exit play should be blown dead. The NHL needs to look at this. It caused another very important goal tonight. Also if you noticed the Oilers D are HORRIBLE at gettign the puck out. That Smith is better at outs than his D is saying something.

Reactions: Anemia

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Mike Smith's temper tantrums after letting in goals just really adds to my level of frustration and negative feelings towards him. It's the worst. If he is the starter again next year... I'm giving up right now. Can't believe Woodcroft was so stubborn sticking with Smith all series long with how awful he was

Just adds to the narrative he's probably a jerk behind closed door and why the Flames were happy to see him go. If that's how he behaves publically what's he like in private?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad