A "look back" at a trade "Brendan Dillon" for 2 x 2nd rounders

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Could have worked by just letting Stan walk and trading Iafallo with maybe 1-2m retained if necessary...

Next year would have been okay with Wheeler coming off the books but again there are a lot of guys ready for raises - like I hope we don't bridge Samberg.
Sammy was bridged already.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Do you really want to move Heinola to the right? Because that would have had to happen if we re-signed Dillon. Couldn’t let Stanley walk as he is under contract this year. We are conservative enough as an organization as it is but if we don’t even give opportunities to first round picks coming off their ELCs it will be near impossible for any prospects to break into the lineup.
Im just talking about what I would have done... I know TNSE is super conservative.

Stanley was not under contract while signing Dillon was still an option.

That being said, we seem fine playing Salomondsson on his off-side now so what's the big deal.

Im on Heinola's side but Dillon is still the better option if we are keeping the window open. Moot point now anyway.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Great value for what we paid - we got a lot of service out of him and he filled a gap that we had with our up and coming D.

In a perfect world we'd have had him for one more year, but I don't know that paying him 16MM and keeping him for 3 years beyond last season is better than losing him.

Overally I'd tell Chevy to pull the trigger if I could go back in time. Now, Nate Schmidt on the other hand.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Great value for what we paid - we got a lot of service out of him and he filled a gap that we had with our up and coming D.

In a perfect world we'd have had him for one more year, but I don't know that paying him 16MM and keeping him for 3 years beyond last season is better than losing him.

Overally I'd tell Chevy to pull the trigger if I could go back in time. Now, Nate Schmidt on the other hand.
You dont think hes worth the same as iafallo?

ghyrti

Oct 21, 2014
I just found it interesting that both draft picks Washington got were then used in Vitek Vanacek trades, who was drafted with a Winnipeg Jets draft pick and also was traded for Kaapo Kahkonen.

July 2013 Jets trade a 2nd round pick in the 2014 draft (which ends up being pick #39) to Minnesota for Devin Setoguchi.
Minnesota then trades that pick at the 2014 trade deadline to Buffalo in the Matt Moulson deal.
Washington trades up sending Buffalo the 44th and 74th at the draft to select Vitek Vanacek at number 39.
Vanacek plays 37 regular season and 1 playoff game in Washington before being selected in the Seattle expansion draft.
Washington trades a 2023 2nd round pick to Seattle to get Vanacek back. This is two days after getting this 2nd round pick from Winnipeg for Brendan Dillon.
Vanacek plays 44 more games for Washington but the next offseason is traded to New Jersey, along with the other draft pick acquired from Winnipeg in the Brendan Dillon trade for two more draft picks (one used to select Ryan Chesley)
New Jersey trades Vanacek to San Jose for Kaapo Kahkonen and a future 7th round pick. At the end of the season Kahkonen signs with Winnipeg.

I almost want to keep going backwards as Setoguchi was selected by the Sharks after trading up with Atlanta.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Chevy tends to do a very job getting the best years out of a player.

Reactions: Jet
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Typically in the 2rd round, yes.

I can’t believe we let Dilly walk to UFA without even talking contract, he’s the guy you want in the playoffs.
Dillon wanted to stay. He was vocal that he was not even approached by Chevy for an extension, but no one should be surprised by this. I wasn't when I heard the news.

Everyone knows Heinola made the team out of camp last season & that Samberg spent the season as a bonafide top 4 defender. Add in Morrissey & it was abundantly clear who the three starting left side defenders would be.

There's all this noise about not promoting prospects to the show, but when the space is cleared for this to happen there's uproar we let a veteran walk.

Dillon signed for $4 million with Jersey for the next 3 years & is turning 34 next month. Not only is he due to regress this season, I wouldn't want to allotting $4 milllon in cap space to him when he's 36.

Further it's been made abundantly clear that the Jets most recent post season loss was on the Jets defense inability to move the puck out fast & efficiently. Size wasn't what cost us in the playoffs. Colorado was the smallest team by both height and weight for defenders relative to their ice time. That series made it quite clear how slow the Jets’ backend is.

Samuel Girard (13), Cale Makar (45), Sean Walker (78), Josh Manson (81), and Devon Toews (87) all placed in the NHL’s top 90 defenders for average even-strength speed.

The Jets only had two: Josh Morrissey (19) and Dylan Samberg (54).

So not only did Chevy clear space for our prospects, he identified the teams biggest defensive issue & made a change to our defence. Sadly we won't notice this upgrade until Heinola returns from surgery...sigh

As long as we're on this, the Dillon/Pionk pairing spent the season among the worst puck movers for getting the puck out of the defensive zone, this despite most often on the ice with the Lowry line who excelled at this task.

Screen Shot 2024-10-11 at 10.08.23 AM.png

I've got a lot of respect for Brendon Dillon & wish him nothing but the best, but it was time for him to move on.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Dillon wanted to stay. He was vocal that he was not even approached by Chevy for an extension, but no one should be surprised by this. I wasn't when I heard the news.

Everyone knows Heinola made the team out of camp last season & that Samberg spent the season as a bonafide top 4 defender. Add in Morrissey & it was abundantly clear who the three starting left side defenders would be.

There's all this noise about not promoting prospects to the show, but when the space is cleared for this to happen there's uproar we let a veteran walk.

Dillon signed for $4 million with Jersey for the next 3 years & is turning 34 next month. Not only is he due to regress this season, I wouldn't want to allotting $4 milllon in cap space to him when he's 36.

Further it's been made abundantly clear that the Jets most recent post season loss was on the Jets defense inability to move the puck out fast & efficiently. Size wasn't what cost us in the playoffs. Colorado was the smallest team by both height and weight for defenders relative to their ice time. That series made it quite clear how slow the Jets’ backend is.

Samuel Girard (13), Cale Makar (45), Sean Walker (78), Josh Manson (81), and Devon Toews (87) all placed in the NHL’s top 90 defenders for average even-strength speed.

So not only did Chevy clear space for our prospects, he identified the teams biggest defensive issue & made a change to our defence. Sadly we won't notice this upgrade until Heinola returns from surgery...sigh

As long as we're on this, the Dillon/Pionk pairing spent the season among the worst puck movers for getting the puck out of the defensive zone, this despite most often on the ice with the Lowry line who excelled at this task.

View attachment 915211

I've got a lot of respect for Brendon Dillon & wish him nothing but the best, but it was time for him to move on.
well said!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Liked the player. Do not like the contract he signed with NJ. Like Monahan, happy the Jets didn't win that sweepstakes. Term is too long for an aging player that seems to slot in at a bottom pairing. Jets may miss his physicality, but could pick up that type of player at the trade deadline if they feel his physical play is missing and really want to have that element.

I think the Jets were wanting to move on with a younger, cheaper player with team control. I agree with that approach. Move on with either Stanley or Heinola. They likely felt Big Stan can offer that physical presence at a quarter of the cost.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

View attachment 915211

I find it interesting how the D TOI was distributed in the first game vs Oilers:

Morrissey - 23:39
Samberg - 23:21
DeMelo - 19:33
Pionk - 19:20
Fleury - 16:15
Miller - 15:17

A little less for Samberg and more for DeMelo, and that's a pretty decent usage. I realize Fleury being out shifted the times a bit until he came back, as Samberg benefited with an added shift or two, but you do want your better dmen out more. Pionk has to be 4th at best in TOI this year for the Jets to turn a corner.

In a year or two, I can see Salomonsson getting that 20 mins in a 2nd pairing with Samberg, or top pairing with Morrissey.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

View attachment 915211

Point made. :thumbu:

I was sorry to see him go because we will miss what he brought. But it was always clear that it was time to thank him for his service and say good-bye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad