A Look At How The Devils Acquired Their Current Roster (and Reserve List)

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This is a complicated look at past and future NHL drafts to show where and how the Devils acquired their current team. It goes back to 1989 and the drafting of Bill Guerin, whose trade tree figures to be around for several more years - a pity, because Guerin was one of my least favorite Devils, but no matter.

I've done this every year for a while now, not quite sure when I started, probably around 2020 because sports weren't happening. I should've been saving these every year, but I was just updating the list as things happened and not saving instances of them. That said, because the things that are removed are things whose remnants are entirely gone, it's almost not useful to look at.

A few notes: A player drafted by the Devils is only listed here outside of any markings if he has played NHL games for the Devils, so someone like Daniil Orlov gets mentioned as the result of a trade but is not listed as a 2022 asset because he hasn't played for New Jersey yet. Once a player's trade tree is finished, he is removed from the list entirely. So for instance, Andy Greene has been removed, as the Devils traded the draft pick they got for him to the Avs for Ryan Graves, and Ryan Graves walked as a UFA.

ASSET TREE FOR DEVILS

1989: |Meier, Hatakka|*, |N. Foote|*, #
1990: <Ch. Stillman>
2003: <Beckman>
2004: (Da. Orlov)
2007: +Hauser+
2008: |Daws|*
2009: |Meier, Hatakka|*, $Meier$*, $Hatakka$*, $Edwards$, /
2010: |Cotter|*
2011: |Mercer, Siegenthaler, Markstrom*|, |Meier, Hatakka|*, [N. Foote]
2012: |Tarff|*
2013: nothing
2014: nothing
2015: [Haula], (Co. Brown)
2016: =Bastian=, |Meier, Hatakka|*, Bratt
2017: Hischier, [Meier, Hatakka]*, [Bowers]!
2018: |Yegorov|*, [Cotter]*, |Tarff|*
2019: J. Hughes, [Meier, Hatakka]*, [Beckman]
2020: [Cotter]*, Mercer, [Meier, Hatakka]*, Daws
2021: L. Hughes, [MacDermid]*
2022: Nemec, Yegorov{3}*
2023: Meier{1}*, Macdermid{7}*
2024: Meier{2}*, Yegorov{5}, Meier{7}*
2025: Markstrom{1}*, WPG 2, EDM 2, VGK 3, Allen{3}^, {5}, SJS 6!, {7}
2026: Kovacevic{4}, DAL 4!, WPG 4

Signed as UFA: Hamilton, Palat, Pesce, Dillon, Noesen, Tatar, Dowling, Willman
Signed as UDFA: Laberge, Halonen
Acquired via waivers: DeSimone

LEGEND

( ) - player selected in this draft was traded for the draft pick used to select this player
[ ] - player selected in this draft was traded for this player
| | - player selected in this draft was traded for other assets which were than traded at least once for the assets that became these players
+ + - player whose draft year this was signed as a UDFA and involved in a trade for this player or the draft pick that became this player
< > - player selected in this draft (not by NJ) signed as a Group III UFA and was traded, either directly or indirectly, for the assets that became this player
= = - player selected in this draft was re-acquired
$ $ - player selected in this draft was acquired by trade for assets acquired through unusual means (i.e. via compensatory pick, or via a trade for a dead contract), and was then traded for assets
* - the player(s) or draft pick(s) listed here were part of a trade for a current asset
{ } - draft pick {round number} from this draft was used to trade for this player
! - draft pick was either acquired as the result of a pick trade, salary cap retention, dead contract acquisition, or compensatory

List of Devils' draft selections, UDFA signings, or UFA signings represented above, in order: Guerin, Jagr, Lovejoy, T. Zajac, Kinkaid, Henrique, E. Gelinas, Ma. Johansson, Wedgewood, A. Larsson, Coleman, Severson, Zacha, Blackwood, Jo. Anderson, Zetterlund, R. Walsh, Ty Smith, Schmid, Sharangovich, Okhotiuk, G. Clarke, Holtz, Mukhamadullin, Bardakov

# - Technically the trade tree of Bill Guerin would include the 5th round pick traded to Utah in the Marino trade, as Guerin was traded for Arnott who was traded for Langenbrunner who was dealt for the pick for Coleman, who was traded for the pick that became Mukhamadullin, who was traded in the Meier deal which included the 5th round pick that was then dealt with John Marino for Yegorov and Edmonton's 2nd. But it's too complicated to include Yegorov in every transaction that also involves the Meier trade; his name already appears 10 times.

/ - I am not including Marc Savard here even though his trade tree is still active (and is represented by Marcus Johansson); he never played games for the Devils.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
i wish i understood most of that, it seems very interesting

Fair enough, it's difficult to decipher, and was made a lot harder by the Meier deal, the Marino trade, and the Holtz+Schmid trade.

The thing that was striking to me is how few drafted players are on the Devils roster these days, it's basically the 1st round guys and Bratt and that's it.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I see I see. Confirming receipt, will look at this and reply by EOW
IMG_4370.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad