Value of: A Hypothetical Erik Karlsson Trade Request

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Without being too harsh, the Ottawa Senators haven't been trending in a very exciting direction for a few years now since the acquisition of Bobby Ryan. Since that time there's been some high profile departures by Alfredsson and Spezza and generally the team doesn't appear to be headed in any discernible direction.

I'm aware of the importance of playoff revenues for a team like the Sens, but if their lone superstar Erik Karlsson decides he's had enough of being on a middle of the road team for his prime, does a forced hard reset to the program ultimately result in good things for Ottawa?

Would a scorched earth rebuild hastened by a Karlsson trade request be the necessary catalyst in forcing the Sens to get back to their cheap, uber skilled, upwardly mobile ways of the early and mid 2000s?

He has moved to Ottawa full time him and his girl friend really seem to love the city so with that said I don't think you will see him ask for a trade.

Nuke

Mar 2, 2007
Doubt Karlsson gets traded but if he did Ottawa would ask for a 1st round pick, a top 4 defenseman, top 6 forward and a top prospect.

Sabres offer...

Girgensons
Bogo
Nylander
2017 1st

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
If we're in the same position in 3-4 years time where we're still a bubble team doing nothing spectacular then I'd be open to just trading him.

It gives him an opportunity to go to a better positioned franchise, it gives the Sens a direction to hope and pray that the return somehow turns into something that will take us out of mediocrity and into a clear direction of rebuilding and perhaps even improves the legacy of Erik all at the same time.

Don't want it to happen but if things remain the same for much longer then I'd be open too it.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Trading Karlsson doesn't make for a positive reset, it simply causes a reset, however that goes. If Karlsson is traded, I doubt we'll get real good assets because of his no trade clause.

Group Chat Legend*

:biglaugh:

Just because your GM doesn't know how to trade top 5 dmen in their primes doesn't mean that others don't.

It wont matter if they keep him... They will lose him because they can't and won't shell out what he wants

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Maybe we could get that 2018 2nd round pick back from the Rangers? It's been quite the source of contention.

I am sure you could get that and more:laugh::laugh:

NY cannot afford to blow up the young core.
But if you take the right currency, we can do
Karlsson + acceptable cap dump(s)
for
McDonagh, Zuc, return of Ott 2nd as a base plus couple of prospects if we can agree on who

for the record, he may eventually want out, but I don't get that feeling as to right now.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
A public trade request returns less than a sudden trade.

Look at Pronger, Kovalchuk, Hossa trades

None of those teams got anything that great in the long run

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I think it would be a 1 for 1 and a draft pick. I don't see Ottawa going for quantity in a trade involving Erik Karlsson lol

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Don't understand the fascination opposing fans have with Karlsson "wanting out". There's really nothing to support it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Don't understand the fascination opposing fans have with Karlsson "wanting out". There's really nothing to support it.

Every star the Senators have ever had has wanted out.

Yashin, Spezza, Heatley, heck even Alfie, the worshiped face of the franchise, left for another team.

Wouldn't surprise me if Karlsson decided follow their footsteps and leave.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
RNH, Draisaitl, 1st 2017, 1st 2018 and Nurse.

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle/Yakupov
Maroon-_____-Puljujarvi
Pouliot-Letestu-Kassian
Hendricks-Lander-Pakarinen

Sekera-Karlsson
Klefbom-Larsson
Davidson-Fayne

Talbot
Gustavsson

Move Yakupov/Eberle for a centre (Filpulia/Bozak/Garbovski/E.Staal), and call it a day.

There are few things I wouldn't give up to watch a powerplay QB'ed by McDavid and Karlsson :popcorn:

beaniewong

Oct 6, 2013
I'd want 2 top 4 D plus maybe a 1st? in exchange for karlsson

I'm thinking like a pairing too:

Scandella+Spurgeon

Hamonic+De Haan

Ekholm+Ellis type thing

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'd want 2 top 4 D plus maybe a 1st? in exchange for karlsson

I'm thinking like a pairing too:

Scandella+Spurgeon

Hamonic+De Haan

Ekholm+Ellis type thing

I get that Karlsson has perhaps the highest value of any defenseman in the league, but do you realistically think a team would be willing to give up their entire second pairing for him? Nashville certainly wouldn't give up Ellis and Ekholm, let alone add to it. Any team deep enough to be able to give up what you're are asking for has no need for Karlsson to begin with, wouldn't you think?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I get that Karlsson has perhaps the highest value of any defenseman in the league, but do you realistically think a team would be willing to give up their entire second pairing for him? Nashville certainly wouldn't give up Ellis and Ekholm, let alone add to it. Any team deep enough to be able to give up what you're are asking for has no need for Karlsson to begin with, wouldn't you think?

Depends on the ages of the defencemen and who the team has in the prospect pipeline.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not asking about the trade return at all, so I don't know why there are all these proposals. My question is without prime Karlsson, does it allow Ottawa to actually rebuild and do the things they used to do that made them a legit contender, which is to build through the draft?

I'm not sure how Karlsson is preventing this from happening.

EK himself was drafted 15th. Hossa was drafted 12th. Havlat 26th. Alfredsson 133rd. Fisher 44th. Vermette 55th.

There's this bizarre belief around here that the Leafs are some kind of gold standard for organizational development and that everyone has to follow that pattern.

A lot of Ottawa's core pieces are young so let's see what the next couple of years demonstrate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad