Value of: A Hypothetical Erik Karlsson Trade Request

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
i dont see any of these happening. especially letang and two 1sts for karlsson. is the difference between a 1.00ppg offensive dman and a 0.94 offensive dman two 1sts?

Exchange Crosby and Malkin (+ a throng of other great players, which made them win the SC) with average top sixers, and that difference would be far bigger.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
The difference is that he at least knew the team was willing to spend to try and win. Karllson must feel somekind of negative reactions to the team always taking the cheaper options, trading away stars as they are ready to get paid, and overpaying mediocre players to compensate not giving out real paychecks to their stars.

The Brassard trade is more of the same. Looking at actual salary vs cap hit, it is very easy to see it was a financial trade more than anything.

So Sundin knew the Leafs would always try to spend and surround him with a contending cast despite ownership not opening up the wallet a bit to sign the greatest player in the history of the sport (who was more than willing to sign with the Leafs)?

As for the Sens, what stars have we ever traded because we didn't want to pay them? Because I'm not seeing a whole lot of genuine examples to back up the false lazy narrative...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Without being too harsh, the Ottawa Senators haven't been trending in a very exciting direction for a few years now since the acquisition of Bobby Ryan. Since that time there's been some high profile departures by Alfredsson and Spezza and generally the team doesn't appear to be headed in any discernible direction.

I'm aware of the importance of playoff revenues for a team like the Sens, but if their lone superstar Erik Karlsson decides he's had enough of being on a middle of the road team for his prime, does a forced hard reset to the program ultimately result in good things for Ottawa?

Would a scorched earth rebuild hastened by a Karlsson trade request be the necessary catalyst in forcing the Sens to get back to their cheap, uber skilled, upwardly mobile ways of the early and mid 2000s?

After reading your consistent posts criticizing all things senators related I would imagine you might have a better handle on how young the team actually is. But I guess not.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Doubt Karlsson gets traded but if he did Ottawa would ask for a 1st round pick, a top 4 defenseman, top 6 forward and a top prospect.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The difference is that he at least knew the team was willing to spend to try and win. Karllson must feel somekind of negative reactions to the team always taking the cheaper options, trading away stars as they are ready to get paid, and overpaying mediocre players to compensate not giving out real paychecks to their stars.

The Brassard trade is more of the same. Looking at actual salary vs cap hit, it is very easy to see it was a financial trade more than anything.

WRONG it made them.better they needed a left handed center men. I think the biggest reason the Zibanejad trade was made is all his inconsistencies. The team knew the next contract was going to have to be a long one. Or eventually he gets traded for less value than they got for him today, signing a player with commitment issues long term to a big cap hit is a scary proposition for any team.

It's like none of you read the thread.... When Brassards contract is up Brown will be 21 and Colin White will be 22. It lines up naturally and like I mentioned before the team is most certainly better today than yesterday. The sens also have legit pieces that are young hockey players. I know hf loves potential but players that actually realize it doesn't make them any worse.

Karlsson also loves it here, he didn't even go home for the summer just a quick visit. He wants to be in Ottawa and wants to win here right from his mouth I have heard it. He has fallen for an Ottawa girl all his best friends are guys that live here.

Why is it that leaf fans presume to be experts on the Ottawa Senators. I don't get it?...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm scared he won't resign since all his friends got the boot out of town.

Max dollars will he spent to keep him in Ottawa, if he stays. If Melnyk doesn't do so, expect an angry mob with torches and pitchforks waiting on Eugene's front lawn.

Look at his pics on insta of who he brought to Vegas for the awards. Those are his best buddies that's who he rolls with. Maybe because players got traded away who knows but those are his boys.

Alot of wishful thinking and terrible trade proposals in this thread by fans of other teams not named Ottawa.

Mad Brills*

You can be critical of other teams moves while being critical of your own teams moves.

I don't get why fans get so upset over this.

It's just a different perspective over a game.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You can be critical of other teams moves while being critical of your own teams moves.

I don't get why fans get so upset over this.

It's just a different perspective over a game.

No one's upset.... These aren't critical thought out arguments. Ottawa makes a trade to get better and improve the team and the thread we get is 'Karlsson is going to leave because the sens don't spend'. That's just stupid.

Karlsson thread is started by a leaf fan the other is a Habs fan trying to get Hoffman for peanuts.

Meanwhile in every other sens related thread Ottawa gets dumped on by leafs and Habs fans constantly the two biggest fan bases. How would you expect sens fans to react exactly?

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Honestly though, a scorched rebuild won't work being that the Sens will just run into the same problem as they have now. Melnyk will still be the owner.

Get a better owner and things may be different.

True but if they did a good enough job and had some luck there would be a couple years where they would still be affordable and capable of a good run. Who knows, if that happened maybe Eugene would re-invest the extra playoff revenue back into the payroll and keep it rolling.
Then again, maybe not.

The Sabre

Jul 16, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Generally speaking, franchise players don't get traded. And, if they do, it usually isn't for other franchise players. Ottawa fans won't be happy with any offer, and they shouldn't be. Karlsson is special. I wouldn't even want Buffalo to attempt such a trade because I know it would completely decimate our assets.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I have a strong feeling he'll walk in a few years. Guy has made comments about not liking that he plays for a budget team. Could see him going to Detroit or something.

No he didn't. You lack comprehension if you think he did.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
To entertain OP:

Larsson + Draisaitl + 2017 1st for Karlsson

But I don't think trading Karlsson is what Ottawa needs to do to become a better team. They've got some exciting young talent in the system. They just need to add a couple pieces here and there and they'll be a contender.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
To entertain OP:

Larsson + Draisaitl + 2017 1st for Karlsson

But I don't think trading Karlsson is what Ottawa needs to do to become a better team. They've got some exciting young talent in the system. They just need to add a couple pieces here and there and they'll be a contender.

No need to trade for him . If he makes it to UFA Chia will push hard for him . He can be our Paul Coffey for the next 10 years . I just don't see Ottawa signing him if he demands 10 million

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I think it mostly depends on ... well... how Karlsson frames his request, and on term left.

Karlsson doesn't strike me a guy who would vehemently ask out, and he doesn't even strike me as a guy who would actually ask out.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not asking about the trade return at all, so I don't know why there are all these proposals. My question is without prime Karlsson, does it allow Ottawa to actually rebuild and do the things they used to do that made them a legit contender, which is to build through the draft?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I'm not asking about the trade return at all, so I don't know why there are all these proposals. My question is without prime Karlsson, does it allow Ottawa to actually rebuild and do the things they used to do that made them a legit contender, which is to build through the draft?

Well... if they get a Pronger-like return on Karlsson, it doesn't really help them that much other than probably turning them into hot garbage for a season or two (barring any UFA signing and presuming the trade doesn't create much caproom, if any). Which could help them in the longer run.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
[mod]

it would never happen, but maybe in a year or two. Nylander, Gardiner, 2019 1st, B prospect for Karlsson. ? I know now great but if he requests a trade ans he's close to UFA you're not gonna get absolute value.

Absolute value would probably take Rielly, Nylander and something? Which is fair but I certainly wouldn't do it. Sens fans, just wondering is yhe last one close? Idk what is fair value for hom

:laugh::laugh::laugh: at the bolded. A prospect thats not going anywhere, a meh Dman, a B (lol) prospect, and a first which will be mid to low first by the time it happens for the best Dman (arguably best PLAYER) in the world? :laugh:

Buddy Robinson, Methot, B prospect, and a 2019 first for Matthews?

No need to trade for him . If he makes it to UFA Chia will push hard for him . He can be our Paul Coffey for the next 10 years . I just don't see Ottawa signing him if he demands 10 million

Don't worry, he won't make UFA. He loves Ottawa, Ottawa loves him, he is the face of the franchise, and Melnyk, while he may be cheap, is not stupid enough to let EK walk. Everything McDavid is to the Oilers, EK is to the Sens. We will pay him whatever he wants. He has certainly earned it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

They are building through the draft...... Look at the make up of the team.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
If Spezza were a smidge younger, I'd offer Seguin straight up, but we would be toeing the danger zone at center without Segs, so i couldn't.

I wouldn't take Karlsson for Benn straight up, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad