Value of: A Hypothetical Erik Karlsson Trade Request

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Without being too harsh, the Ottawa Senators haven't been trending in a very exciting direction for a few years now since the acquisition of Bobby Ryan. Since that time there's been some high profile departures by Alfredsson and Spezza and generally the team doesn't appear to be headed in any discernible direction.

I'm aware of the importance of playoff revenues for a team like the Sens, but if their lone superstar Erik Karlsson decides he's had enough of being on a middle of the road team for his prime, does a forced hard reset to the program ultimately result in good things for Ottawa?

Would a scorched earth rebuild hastened by a Karlsson trade request be the necessary catalyst in forcing the Sens to get back to their cheap, uber skilled, upwardly mobile ways of the early and mid 2000s?

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
He's happy in Ottawa, for now at least. However, if we continue to be mediocre by 2018-2019, which is highly likely, I can see us trading him if its clear he intends to walk via UFA.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would it ultimately be a good thing for Ottawa to be forced into a real rebuild? Get back to being the draft and development beasts that they used to be?

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Without being too harsh, the Ottawa Senators haven't been trending in a very exciting direction for a few years now since the acquisition of Bobby Ryan. Since that time there's been some high profile departures by Alfredsson and Spezza and generally the team doesn't appear to be headed in any discernible direction.

I'm aware of the importance of playoff revenues for a team like the Sens, but if their lone superstar Erik Karlsson decides he's had enough of being on a middle of the road team for his prime, does a forced hard reset to the program ultimately result in good things for Ottawa?

Would a scorched earth rebuild hastened by a Karlsson trade request be the necessary catalyst in forcing the Sens to get back to their cheap, uber skilled, upwardly mobile ways of the early and mid 2000s?

Same offer for Subban. Ristolaonen, Reinhardt and 1st

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Not too sure why you're so convinced Karlsson is going to want out. I mean he's on pace to play in more playoff games in his career than the guy in your avatar and look how long it took him to clue in?

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Maybe we could get that 2018 2nd round pick back from the Rangers? It's been quite the source of contention.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
It would be very tough to see them getting back a will-the-team-to-good-things level player like Karlsson and being more successful without what they have right now.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'd be very curious what a return would bring the Sens if they did shop him in a year or 2. I know it's next to impossible for a EK thread to stay civilized, but I'd love to see what fans of teams would be prepared to give up for him

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Would it ultimately be a good thing for Ottawa to be forced into a real rebuild? Get back to being the draft and development beasts that they used to be?

Because if there's one area where the Ottawa Senators have been weak at the past few years it's been drafting and developing...

Mad Brills*

Why would they be in a rebuild?

Melnyk wants his 2 games of home playoff revenue

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
The catch 22 is..

If Karlsson is traded anywhere, that team has to give up so much to get him, that the remaining team will probably not be any better than Ottawa anyway.

How many teams have the needed assets anyway?

Not sure which team would be the most likely to trade for him, but let's assume it's Dallas. Then Benn has to go the other way.

LA? Doughty.
Islanders? Tavares.

The only team that might have the assets to give up, without being destroyed on the position in question, is Pittsburgh. And they already have a top-5 offensive defenceman in Letang.

Perhaps Karlsson for Letang, 1st 2017 & 1st 2018 might do it. But I doubt it.

Last edited:

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
Scorched Earth???? This team's short-coming was having too many young players with potential and not enough veterans:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000542016.html

The acquisition of Phaneuf solidified their 2nd-pairing and the acquisition of Brassard provides a proven playoff performer.

Brassard

(Zibanejad gone)

Colin White - 1st-round pick 2015

Logan Brown - 1st-round pick 2016.

Well played by the Sens IMO. Brassard is an upgrade on Zibanejad today and for the future they could possibly have even more upside than Zibs in the persons of White and Brown.

At some point the focus has to turn from accumulating prospects to winning games on the ice. Karlsson should be thrilled with the direction the Sens have taken in the past six months.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Honestly though, a scorched rebuild won't work being that the Sens will just run into the same problem as they have now. Melnyk will still be the owner.

Get a better owner and things may be different.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not too sure why you're so convinced Karlsson is going to want out. I mean he's on pace to play in more playoff games in his career than the guy in your avatar and look how long it took him to clue in?

I'm not convinced he wants out...

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
The catch 22 is..

If Karlsson is traded anywhere, that team has to give up so much to get him, that the remaining team will probably not be any better than Ottawa anyway.

How many teams have the needed assets anyway?

Not sure which team would be the most likely to trade for him, but let's assume it's Dallas. Then Benn has to go the other way.

LA? Doughty.
Islanders? Tavares.

The only team that might have the assets to give up, without being destroyed on the position in question, is Pittsburgh. And they already have a top-5 offensive defenceman in Letang.

Perhaps Karlsson for Letang, 1st 2017 & 1st 2018 might do it. But I doubt it.

I disagree.

Very very seldom do you see a team win or even get close to equal value when a player requests a trade. The player usually has the team over a gun and the GM is left trying to salvage as much value as possible when all the other GMs are throwing Grandma candy at you.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
I'd be very curious what a return would bring the Sens if they did shop him in a year or 2. I know it's next to impossible for a EK thread to stay civilized, but I'd love to see what fans of teams would be prepared to give up for him

You could always refer to any of the number of other Karlsson threads that have been started on here that never go well...

I'm not convinced he wants out...

More like, I'm convinced he doesn't want out. This is Karlsson's team.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Without knowing team needs 100% for Ottawa would offer:

Hamilton + Tkachuk + 1st 2017

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I have a strong feeling he'll walk in a few years. Guy has made comments about not liking that he plays for a budget team. Could see him going to Detroit or something.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Those are 3 good assets, but this is the best Dman in the world, you gotta do better than that.

What do you think REALISTICALLY the Sens would get if, HYPOTHETICALLY, Karlsson requested a trade?

I don't see much better. Look at Pronger and Edmonton for a solid example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad