WJC: 9 years without a loss in the group stage

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Yeah that was an annoying game too. But wasn't that high stick on a follow through of a shot? Therefore it doesn't count as a penalty. Or am I wrong? That's what I was told and what the commentators were saying.

It was and I wasn't sure now after your post but I found that this doesn't apply in IIHF rulebook.
Here I even found some blog article which mentions this goal in that match specifically:
http://paczemoj.blogspot.cz/2012/01/2-minutes-for-high-sticking.html

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Haha yeah it was bad. If Czechs went into the 3rd period still up 3-1, then that game would have been a loooot different. Really unfortunate. Sulak will only be remembered for that blunder haha

Just saw the Sulak fail... oh god. :laugh:

Ya Sweden has had a bunch of close calls in recent years and also came close with the "Forseberg generation", but the thing is Sweden hasn't always been great at this level. As was pointed out up thread Sweden flirted with relegation a few times and was pretty terrible for the first half of the aughts. All the stuff that has been said about the decline of Czech hockey in recent years (and they have started to rebound) was being said about Sweden a decade ago.

So you are telling me there's a chance? :naughty:
Rebounding the same way Swedes did, I would take it :naughty:

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Imo Sweden is the greatest hockey nation. So much fewer players than US or Canada and still they are as good or better. Amazing.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Imo Sweden is the greatest hockey nation. So much fewer players than US or Canada and still they are as good or better. Amazing.

Im not here to downplay or mock Sweden anyway, you're doing fantastic job ( Far better, than we have done ;) )

But Canada could put up 2-3 teams, which would be able to complete in U-20 and win. Their depth is just so deep..

Last edited:

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014

Hmmm...results in Best on Best competitions tell a different story...and even in junior...2 gold medals vs what? Something like 16 for Canada?...So-ooo much Gold its EASY to lose count...And thru it all...nobody has been hurt more, historically, by NHL cradle robbing, than Team U20 Maple Leaf...

Just say'in

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Hmmm...results in Best on Best competitions tell a different story...and even in junior...2 gold medals vs what? Something like 16 for Canada?...So-ooo much Gold its EASY to lose count...And thru it all...nobody has been hurt more, historically, by NHL cradle robbing, than Team U20 Maple Leaf...

Just say'in

Okay not better but the fact that Sweden can even compete with Canada and the US and produce so many top-players is amazing considering the population and registered players compared to them.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
win the right games, stats like these are so meaningless

Your opinion. Obviously doesn't mean more than actually winning the tournament, but still impressive and it just shows you how many good teams Sweden have had the last decade. I doubt you would find it completely meaningless if Finland would have stood for the same "achievement" (if you could call it that?) ;)

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Your opinion. Obviously doesn't mean more than actually winning the tournament, but still impressive and it just shows you how many good teams Sweden have had the last decade. I doubt you would find it completely meaningless if Finland would have stood for the same "achievement" (if you could call it that?) ;)

Finland, when wins a game vs Sweden they are more superior than Sweden. And they are best in the world. Lololololol.

Finland best achievement is world sauna championships. Lol

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Fits perfectly with the image that I've had of Swedish hockey for a long time. They don't mess around and screw things up too often. Other countries sometimes half-ass their way through the group stage but Sweden is always ready to play. Also shows that they've had some great age groups in the last 5-10 years.

Kind of disappointing that they have only one gold to show for it, but they have faced some great teams along the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00