WJC: 9 years without a loss in the group stage

Jyrgen

Oct 10, 2005
Well, we dont have many gold medals to show for it but at least it might show that we have had really good team players for a lot of years. Maybe not enough high end talents though.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Something to be proud of.

Meanwhile in Czech Republic... 10 years without reaching the semifinals :yo:, and this year it won't be any different most likely :yo:

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Pretty impressive.Lucky vs USA .Still heck of a run though.Props to them.Fun team to watch too.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
When I saw this on TSN I had to do a double take. That is just unreal. Goes to show how consistently great they are as a hockey nation.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Good for Sweden, I didn't realize how dominant they'd been this past decade until I saw this stat. That's pretty astounding. It must be somewhat disappointing for them that it's only translated into one gold medal in that timespan.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Wow.. Sweden haven't lost one single groupstage game since 2006. 36 straight wins... talk about a sure bet for some easy money.

Is it the longest streak?

Think Canada won something like 30 or 31 round robin games in a row, at one point. Pretty sure 36 in a row is the longest...

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I was aware of the streak, and yet somehow I still managed to bet on Sweden to lose in the Game Prediction thread. :shakehead

Congrats, Sweden. This is an amazing accomplishment!

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Wow.. Sweden haven't lost one single groupstage game since 2006. 36 straight wins... talk about a sure bet for some easy money.

Is it the longest streak?

Fact I found much more satisfying, Sweden has won only 2 times while being 12 times in finals. :sarcasm:

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Sweden is always my next favourite country to cheer on/watch when Canada is out.

Going to be a breeding ground for some of the top hockey players in the world for a long time, especially between the pipes.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Wow, that's crazy. Even Slovakia has managed a bronze.

2007-2010 our teams were laughable and relegation worthy, 2011-2013 our point was quaterfinal with the slight possibilty of semifinal, 2014-???? our point is to break this damn slump.

The closest we ever were was in 2012 with Mrazek (OT loss 2:1 to Russia) and 2014 (We were leading 3:1 against the Finns in the second period and lost 3:5 anyway)

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
But the typical swedish fan would still say we suck and is falling behind, always focusing on the negative.

But yeah disappointed to have just one gold medal to show for it, especially to have lost 4 finals, in which many we have dominated in like last against finland. But overall you have to be happy with it since it is like day and night compare to how it looked before this stretch, and it is not always you are making history.

What have come out of this when it come to players? A far better depth among both d-men and forwards that is for sure and easily by far the best d-men generation ever from sweden, both depthwise and elite wise. Maybe would have wish for one or two more elite forwards, but I think Nylander is that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad