PGT: 9/19 - Russia vs North America - Russia 4 North America 3 F

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
48 games is enough for me to judge a player, 2nd in the league in PPG is the reason, right now other than Kane,Crosby, Benn and maybe Ovechkin i don't see a player better.

By player do you mean forward? Because i'd have a hard time saying a guy who finished 15th in NHL scoring as a offense first guy is better then the best D or the best Goalie.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
you do know that Daigle was also amazing his first year?

Give it a bit of time, guys.

You mean the guy who finished 154th in points per game (min 45 games played) in his rookie season vs. the guy who finished 3rd in points per game (min 45 games played) in his rookie season? Not seeing the resemblance at all.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
All this criticism of these young players but not a peep about the relatively quiet nights that some huge NHL stars had (Malkin, OV). This is a best on best, these kids are playing some damn stiff competition and for some of them it is hard to adjust to a lesser role than they are used to, or to play with players even more skilled than themselves. It throws off their game. This goes for Larkin, Eichel, and Drouin tonight, it might be a couple of other guys next game. Stop over analyzing everything without looking at context

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They lost the game because they allowed 4 goals in 6 minutes guys. Even Gretzky and co. in the 80s would lose a few if/when they did that.

It's no single player's fault, just a sloppy stretch of play that the Russians pounced on mixed in with some unfortunate bounces.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I'm not sure why people get pissed that people critize the ice time allotment that is being based on pedigree rather than who is actually hot right now. Can anyone deny that Johnny Hockey has been team NA's best player? Hasn't McD and Matthews been good too? For sure, but so has MacKinnon and a couple of others. It's not like everyone's two snowflake prodigies have been carrying the load alone either.

The only thing that has been so-so is the defense but that's no surprise either. They need more time.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Parayko, and especially Rielly are far more reliable and depended upon than those two.

Uh, no. "Depended upon" - Murray-Jones are getting the highest proportion of d-zone starts, both games. And as for reliability, Rielly is not nearly as reliable without the puck as Murray and Jones.

Rielly's added value is skating the puck and threatening offensively - which is something that Jones has all the tools for but I don't think he has enough of a killer mindset for offense, which is no small shortcoming. I've never seen Rielly do something that Jones can't do, he's a better puckhandler and probably even faster (if you believe his teammates). But you won't see him threatening shift after shift like Rielly.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not sure why people get pissed that people critize the ice time allotment that is being based on pedigree rather than who is actually hot right now. Can anyone deny that Johnny Hockey has been team NA's best player? Hasn't McD and Matthews been good too? For sure, but so has MacKinnon and a couple of others. It's not like everyone's two snowföake prodigies have been carrying the load alone either.

The only thing that has been so-so is the defense but that's no surprise either. They need more time.

Gaudreau was not TNA's best player tonight, not by a long shot. He's been very good this tournament, but that was probably 5-on-5 his worst game of the tournament. That said, I will agree he should be promoted to the 1st unit PP and Eichel moved to the 2nd unit.

Not a slight to Eich either, I just think he is thinking too much when he's playing with McDavid or Gaudreau or Matthews, it would be better for him to be on a less talented unit where it runs more through him.

There's no reason not to play McDavid a lot. NAT is all about speed, and he is the most explosive player on the team, the puck can be in NAT's own zone and 10 seconds later it's in the other team's net thanks to McDavid. 63% on the face off dot and drawing a penalty late too, he's played well overall.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
I'm not sure why people get pissed that people critize the ice time allotment that is being based on pedigree rather than who is actually hot right now. Can anyone deny that Johnny Hockey has been team NA's best player? Hasn't McD and Matthews been good too? For sure, but so has MacKinnon and a couple of others. It's not like everyone's two snowflake prodigies have been carrying the load alone either.

Gaudreau was junk today, he floated, hogged the puck and turned it over and is always hanging out in the neutral zone when the team is trying to defend. Theres a reason he sat.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
LOL at the people putting down McDavid.

How little you know about WORLD CLASS HOCKEY.

You sure that is what is happening here? Think you need to read some posts again.

People just don't like the icetime distribution and that some players get more icetime based on the name on their jerseys.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

In the earlier games maybe, but he certainly wasn't tonight, wasn't even top 5. No one's getting pissed, I just don't understand the criticism of riding the Matthews-McDavid-Scheif line when they were far and away the best line all game and were the only line doing anything for almost 2/3 of the game. Sure, I would have probably just rode the McDavid and Nuge line (once Gaudreau joined it) exclusively for the last 10 minutes, and maybe given the 2nd line a couple extra shifts than they got, but if anything the complaint should have been that the bottom 2 lines weren't shut down all together in the 3rd at even strength and on the PP because they were creating absolutely nothing offensively.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You sure that is what is happening here? Think you need to read some posts again.

People just don't like the icetime distribution and that some players get more icetime based on the name on their jerseys.

You keep saying this, but the Matthews McDavid Scheif line were the best line in this game, so I think they more than earned their ice-time.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Gaudreau was junk today, he floated, hogged the puck and turned it over and is always hanging out in the neutral zone when the team is trying to defend. Theres a reason he sat.

Why do you think there are "pre-season" world cup of hockey games?

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016

johnny hockey has not been their best player when the games are counting. Who cares who was the best in pre tournament play. mcdavid has easily been the teams most dangerous player creating the most chances.
But yes the complaining and whining about these young players is laughable or the bashing of players. This is a young exciting team and all players are contributing at some point or another.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
You keep saying this, but the Matthews McDavid Scheif line were the best line in this game, so I think they more than earned their ice-time.

I don't so don't put me in the same group, please. THANK YOU.

I just point out what people are saying in this thread.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Eich and Drouin were just out of sorts today and that kinda threw off the entire 2nd and 3rd lines. McDavid-Matthews were flying from puck drop.

They got more minutes in the end. The only decision I didn't like was no Gaudreau on the 5-on-3. I think one of Schiefle/Matthews/Eichel can move to the 2nd unit, Gaudreau is too good at running a PP to be on the 2nd unit.

That said Canada had like 5 chances to score on that 5-on-3 if they bothered to hit the damn net. Shooting low might not be as pretty as getting it bar down, but your chances of a rebound goal are like 50x higher.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
But yes the complaining and whining about these young players is laughable or the bashing of players. This is a young exciting team and all players are contributing at some point or another.

I agree.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't so don't put me in the same group, please. THANK YOU.

I just point out what people are saying in this thread.

Maybe I misread the intention of your post, but it sounded like you were saying that the players received ice-time because of their name rather than their play, but perhaps you were describing what other posters are saying.

Either way, they got the ice-time tonight because they were the best line on the team, they earned it.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

Because the name (player) warrants more ice time because of the player they are.

Not everyone is going to like that, but that's hockey.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Eich and Drouin were just out of sorts today and that kinda threw off the entire 2nd and 3rd lines. McDavid-Matthews were flying from puck drop.

They got more minutes in the end. The only decision I didn't like was no Gaudreau on the 5-on-3. I think one of Schiefle/Matthews/Eichel can move to the 2nd unit, Gaudreau is too good at running a PP to be on the 2nd unit.

That said Canada had like 5 chances to score on that 5-on-3 if they bothered to hit the damn net. Shooting low might not be as pretty as getting it bar down, but your chances of a rebound goal are like 50x higher.

I'd agree, Gaudreau should have taken Eichel's spot on the first PP. For the people that keep talking about players getting ice-time because of their name though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Nuge added to the 2nd PP unit in the 3rd which he wasn't originally even a part of because he was having an excellent game? If I'm mistaken then disregard, but if I'm not then doesn't that prove that McLellan was using the players based on their performance in that game?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
MacKinnon, McDavid, Nugent Hopkins, and Matthews I thought were creating something basically all night long aside from that lull in the 2nd period where all of Team North America looked like crap.

Gaudreau kinda woke up out of his funk after getting off Eichel's line but by then 2/3 of the game was over.

I'd run

Gaudreau-McDavid-Matthews-Reilly-Ghost on PP unit 1

Eichel-RNH-MacKinnon-Drouin-Parayko on PP unit 2

Though I think Saad maybe should be on one of the two units.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Dont really know what Larkin did to get benched. That being said, North America definitely played better in the third with the shorter bench.

On defence, Seth Jones has looked really mediocre to me. He has really good defensive cover in Ryan Murray, but hasnt been jumping up the play, nor has he been great in his own end. Hate it when guys swing their sticks wildly at bouncing pucks and that cost him.

Ghost impressed me today. I still think he has some defensive limitations, but unlike Jones, he really played to his strengths. I do think he should not be playing the type of tough minutes he played today.

Parayko had a decent game again.... but damn the guys got to learn how to hit the net. Had so many shots miss the net

Ryan Murray just needs to play more. Plays a solid game.

Up front, need more from Eichel. He is doing a good job of getting the puck, but has done little with it.

Mackinnon again with a bit of a mindless game, but his energy has been an asset.

Really love what I am seeing from Ryan Nugent Hopkins. Makes it look silly at how many guys didnt have him on the team.

Couturier and Trochek have earned every minute of ice they have gotten. Great on the PK, and rarely a shift where they get pinned down low.

Overall not a bad game but the D will have to tighten up. The centers need to be a bit more defensively cautious.
By my count, he missed the net twice..... put at 2 or 3 on net in a short period of time and one ended up in the back of the net.

Maybe his misses are more magnified because he shoots hard enough to make the puck do a complete lap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad