PGT: 9/19 - Russia vs North America - Russia 4 North America 3 F

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Loved the switch to put Gaudreau with RNH and McKinnon. With the McDavid Matthews and Scheifele line the top 2 lines are set. Be interesting how the bottom 2 lines get juggled.

Nb how many minutes did Larkin play?

I think he had maybe one shift after Eichel stopped and didn't pass to him on the that 2 on 1, the exact time was 5:33. I'm biased here but I don't think his play was bad enough for that. Drouin was glued to the bench for most of the last 30 as well. Meh, was cheering for NA all the same didn't affect my enjoyment of the game.

Honestly a little worried that he'll be scratched the next game, which makes me sad

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think he had maybe one shift after Eichel stopped and didn't pass to him on the that 2 on 1, the exact time was 5:33. I'm biased here but I don't think his play was bad enough for that. Drouin was glued to the bench for most of the last 30 as well. Meh, was cheering for NA all the same didn't affect my enjoyment of the game.

Honestly a little worried that he'll be scratched the next game, which makes me sad

Larkin seems to have been in the dog house for some reason. I like his game. I must have missed his big mistake to get stapled like that.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Remember in the 2010-2011 playoffs when McLennan shortened the sharks bench in the series against Detroit, so by the end of it their players were too exhausted to do **** in the next round? Yeah, he has a history of doing this

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Remember in the 2010-2011 playoffs when McLennan shortened the sharks bench in the series against Detroit, so by the end of it their players were too exhausted to do **** in the next round? Yeah, he has a history of doing this

They had their chances to win/tie the game, sometimes it just doesn't work out or a shot hits the post, like it did today.

They lost because they allowed 4 goals in like 6 minutes. That's where not having an Aaron Ekblad really hurts. Can't do that, but they still damn near pulled it off anyway.

I think letting the McDavid and MacKinnon lines basically run for the last 10 minutes was the right call by the way. McDavid did draw the penalty to effectively give them a 6-on-4 to end the game, they even got the shot they wanted. It just hit the post. The Russians were the team that looked gassed, not NA.

Eichel didn't have the greatest game but I think people are piling on him way too hard too. Sometimes a guy just has a bad game. Happens to everyone.

Median

Mar 4, 2010
Larkin is -2 after 5 minutes of ice time, Eichel -2 after 14m. Probably why they they didn't play as much as the other forwards.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I want Drouin in there, but you can't argue that Team NA didn't have an absolute barrage of chances towards the final minutes. The 2 lines did exactly what they were supposed to do, just couldn't beat Bob.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Larkin seems to have been in the dog house for some reason. I like his game. I must have missed his big mistake to get stapled like that.

He's been missing the net on a lot of his shots and I thought he's played pretty well defensively forechecking and maintaining possession. If he's been making some sort of huge mistakes I too have missed them.
He was scratched the first game and put on the lines of PP players which is limiting his ice time. Definitely think McLennan is throwing some shade his way.

I want Drouin in there, but you can't argue that Team NA didn't have an absolute barrage of chances towards the final minutes. The 2 lines did exactly what they were supposed to do, just couldn't beat Bob.

I didn't argue that. I also don't think he should've been out there then. I just don't think he should've sat for half the game.

Larkin is -2 after 5 minutes of ice time, Eichel -2 after 14m. Probably why they they didn't play as much as the other forwards.

Eichel wasn't getting much 5 on 5 time the second half of the game. Russia has 6 penalties(edit:just remembered one was 4on4) in the last 30 minutes... Eichel is on the PP.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Did you even watch how Matthews scored and got a lot of his chances. McDavid could maybe improve goal scoring but the number of chances he creates for linemates is mind blowing.

Lol exactly. Matthews superior hockey IQ sure showed on this play which McDavid created all by himself and should have been an easy tap in

And before anyone attacks me, I'm not criticizing Matthews, I love this kid. Just replying to the daily ridiculous comment by OKG. Some things never change around here.

He skated faster than the defender and didn't get a shot off because he deked himself into Bobrovsky? That chance?

You miss this play too?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
been said already on the SN intermission but if I'm McClellan I play Gaudreau 25min a game, not because he deserves it but to pad the points and usage and make Calgary pay

look at how many Leafs fans going Matthews #1 amongst forwards, Rielly #1 on the team all tourney !! it works

also I liked what I saw from Trocheck. Couturier had some prime scoring chances but didn't seem like he'd score

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Dont really know what Larkin did to get benched. That being said, North America definitely played better in the third with the shorter bench.

On defence, Seth Jones has looked really mediocre to me. He has really good defensive cover in Ryan Murray, but hasnt been jumping up the play, nor has he been great in his own end. Hate it when guys swing their sticks wildly at bouncing pucks and that cost him.

Ghost impressed me today. I still think he has some defensive limitations, but unlike Jones, he really played to his strengths. I do think he should not be playing the type of tough minutes he played today.

Parayko had a decent game again.... but damn the guys got to learn how to hit the net. Had so many shots miss the net

Ryan Murray just needs to play more. Plays a solid game.

Up front, need more from Eichel. He is doing a good job of getting the puck, but has done little with it.

Mackinnon again with a bit of a mindless game, but his energy has been an asset.

Really love what I am seeing from Ryan Nugent Hopkins. Makes it look silly at how many guys didnt have him on the team.

Couturier and Trochek have earned every minute of ice they have gotten. Great on the PK, and rarely a shift where they get pinned down low.

Overall not a bad game but the D will have to tighten up. The centers need to be a bit more defensively cautious.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I still like Jones more than Murray just because of the tools he displays. Hard shot, huge reach, and great skater.

Parayko, and especially Rielly are far more reliable and depended upon than those two.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Geezus people are so damn petty. Crapping on Drouin or Larkin, Eichel, Matthews, McDavid, Schef, or anyone else is so damn stupid in a tournament like this.

They are going against the worlds best and grown ass men. Veterans. Guys that are expected to carry their teams. The NA team obviously isn't going to go around tuning up everyone in a best on best. Honestly, everyone should be amazed at how skillful they have all looked while going against the best players in the world.

Eichel has made poor plays; McDavid isn't producing shots/goals; Ghost is making questionable passes; Matthews was gassed to no return at the end of the game... They all have imperfections BECAUSE they are going against other amazing players.

Where was OV tonight? Or malkin? Or Tarasenko. None of those guys just dominated end-to-end all night, yet no one would question their greatness, right?

Give it a rest on these guys and just enjoy the fact that you get to see this collection of young talent from opposing countries play with one another because even if they do this again, it is highly unlikely it will be nearly as skilled as this team is.

Just enjoy the hockey.

Pretty much this. 4 goals against on 4 shots was the difference in this one. To even come back and dominate in the 3rd was very awesome to watch. A bunch of kids.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Dont really know what Larkin did to get benched. That being said, North America definitely played better in the third with the shorter bench.

On defence, Seth Jones has looked really mediocre to me. He has really good defensive cover in Ryan Murray, but hasnt been jumping up the play, nor has he been great in his own end. Hate it when guys swing their sticks wildly at bouncing pucks and that cost him.

Ghost impressed me today. I still think he has some defensive limitations, but unlike Jones, he really played to his strengths. I do think he should not be playing the type of tough minutes he played today.

Parayko had a decent game again.... but damn the guys got to learn how to hit the net. Had so many shots miss the net

Ryan Murray just needs to play more. Plays a solid game.

Up front, need more from Eichel. He is doing a good job of getting the puck, but has done little with it.

Mackinnon again with a bit of a mindless game, but his energy has been an asset.

Really love what I am seeing from Ryan Nugent Hopkins. Makes it look silly at how many guys didnt have him on the team.

Couturier and Trochek have earned every minute of ice they have gotten. Great on the PK, and rarely a shift where they get pinned down low.

Overall not a bad game but the D will have to tighten up. The centers need to be a bit more defensively cautious.

Mackinnon was great tonight I dont know what game you were watching.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
People crying about McDavid playing too much is hilarious, the guy is a top 5 forward in the world and he's the best player on team North America.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I didn't watch the game - how did Trouba do?

He had a steady game, drew two penalties, killed a few penalties, and had an unlucky bounce off the glass while clearing the puck land on Kucherovs stick in the slot for a goal against. Overall, he was pretty solid.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Has any reporter asked Gaudreau why he stormed off the ice after the final whistle?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm not saying McDavid and Matthews aren't/weren't good, but what exactly justifies them(~45 games of NHL experience combined) to have nearly 4 minutes more ice than any other forward.

Because they converted a tap in after Russian's working off a hangover gave them a 2-0?

Also poor Sean Couturier.. Forever 3C.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He had a steady game, drew two penalties, killed a few penalties, and had an unlucky bounce off the glass while clearing the puck land on Kucherovs stick in the slot for a goal against. Overall, he was pretty solid.

Sounds like Trouba, not flashy but solid :nod:

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Has any reporter asked Gaudreau why he stormed off the ice after the final whistle?

Curious about that as well. Haven't really seen any mention of it. If he was angry about not getting out there for the 5-on-3, I'm curious to see how McLellan will respond to that behaviour.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
watching that 5 on 3 on the bench, just a guess

Curious about that as well. Haven't really seen any mention of it. If he was angry about not getting out there for the 5-on-3, I'm curious to see how McLellan will respond to that behaviour.

I'm not sure it was the 5 on 3. In the last minute, Gaudreau had a rebound that was almost an open net and he shot it wide. I think that may have frustrated him. I guess they didn't make him available for interviews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad