PGT: 9/19 - Russia vs North America - Russia 4 North America 3 F

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
By my count, he missed the net twice..... put at 2 or 3 on net in a short period of time and one ended up in the back of the net.

Maybe his misses are more magnified because he shoots hard enough to make the puck do a complete lap?

This is kind of a problem with Team NA (predictably), they want to shoot high all the time, problem with that is if you miss, the puck is likely going all the way down the ice. Sometimes just shooting at the pads will get an easy rebound goal, but kids being kids ...

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
MacKinnon, McDavid, Nugent Hopkins, and Matthews I thought were creating something basically all night long aside from that lull in the 2nd period where all of Team North America looked like crap.

Gaudreau kinda woke up out his funk after getting off Eichel's line but by then it was already well into the 3rd period.

I'd run

Gaudreau-McDavid-Matthews-Reilly-Ghost on PP unit 1

Eichel-RNH-MacKinnon-Drouin-Parayko on PP unit 2

Though I think Saad maybe should be on one of the two units.

I believe they tried Mac and Eich and it wasn't pretty. Mac is a bit of a puck hog and Eich really seems to have to be the center (not positionally) of his line. He needs to dictate the pace and style to be most effective. I know it's just for PP sake, but I don't see the two meshing well.

I'd put Mac on the first and put Matthews on the point and put Ghost on the second PP.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This is kind of a problem with Team NA (predictably), they want to shoot high all the time, problem with that is if you miss, the puck is likely going all the way down the ice. Sometimes just shooting at the pads will get an easy rebound goal, but kids being kids ...

You can tell he adjusted after the 2nd high shot. The first one I remember was abysmally bad...like 5ft wide. 2nd shot was a laser but I think it wasn't too far off. After that all shots were low and on net. I just find the hyperbole strange when he only missed the net twice

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I believe they tried Mac and Eich and it wasn't pretty. Mac is a bit of a puck hog and Eich really seems to have to be the center (not positionally) of his line. He needs to dictate the pace and style to be most effective. I know it's just for PP sake, but I don't see the two meshing well.

I'd put Mac on the first and put Matthews on the point and put Ghost on the second PP.

Now, now kids, I want you to play nice with Eichel. He's new to this school and needs some friends. :sarcasm:

Tough tourney so far for Eich, just seems like whatever line he's on is thrown off.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
Auston Matthews was North America's best forward. His advanced numbers tonight were absurd. What a talent. Connor McDavid was great too. It's so much fun watching them play. This game was one of the best hockey games I've seen in a while. So fun

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You keep saying this, but the Matthews McDavid Scheif line were the best line in this game, so I think they more than earned their ice-time.

I thought the RNH-MacKinnon-Gaudreau line was the best line tonight. In fact, that should have been the line to get the 5on3 late in the 3rd period, especially after generating a PP goal earlier in the period.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Auston Matthews was North America's best forward. His advanced numbers tonight were absurd. What a talent. Connor McDavid was great too. It's so much fun watching them play. This game was one of the best hockey games I've seen in a while. So fun

I thought he kinda forced a few plays in the second half of the game, but first half was sublime.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Now, now kids, I want you to play nice with Eichel. He's new to this school and needs some friends. :sarcasm:

Tough tourney so far for Eich, just seems like whatever line he's on is thrown off.

I still think he's a fantastic talent, as are ALL the players on team NA. Some players adjust to change faster/slower than others.

This board really need to ease up on the ginger.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought the RNH-MacKinnon-Gaudreau line was the best line tonight. In fact, that should have been the line to get the 5on3 late in the 3rd period, especially after generating a PP goal earlier in the period.

They were only together for the last like 5 minutes of the 2nd and the 3rd period. They were definitely good, but the McDavid line was good all game. Maybe if they had thrown Gaudreau on that line from the start of the game they would have been the best. Nuge and Mack both had their best games of the tournament imo.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Eichel will be fine. Watching him in Buffalo was great when I could tune in. He's just not having a great tournament. He's already shown what he's capable of.

McDavid while absolutely fantastic is becoming pretty predictable. He's going to have to work on driving the net harder or pull up at the circles at hit the trailing man in. The ol backhander short side at full speed isn't working. Still insane how fast he is

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I still think he's a fantastic talent, as are ALL the players on team NA. Some players adjust to change faster/slower than others.

This board really need to ease up on the ginger.

This must be where a lot of the hate is coming from. HF must not like ginger "curly headed ****s" (step brothers joke reference for anyone who thinks I'm being offensive or vulgar).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Eichel will be fine. Watching him in Buffalo was great when I could tune in. He's just not having a great tournament. He's already shown what he's capable of.

McDavid while absolutely fantastic is becoming pretty predictable. He's going to have to work on driving the net harder or pull up at the circles at hit the trailer man in. The ol backhander short side at full speed isn't working. Still insane how fast he is

Not overly worried about Connor, he does need to add a little more variety, but for anyone who watched him all last season, he definitely didn't rely only on that move. He'd pull up plenty and wait for big slow Maroon to catch up or hit a trailing Dman and created some offence off cheeky stick work (LAK game comes to mind when he one hand slashed the puck off Lecavalier's stick and into the net, and stole one from him at the side of the net and found Maroon backdoor for the tap in). I'm actually happy that he's shooting the puck more tbh. Last year he would hardly shoot when he was in dangerous spots and passed off a little more than he should have. His shot still needs some work, but the willingness to shoot is definitely encouraging.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Not overly worried about Connor, he does need to add a little more variety, but for anyone who watched him all last season, he definitely didn't rely only on that move. He'd pull up plenty and wait for big slow Maroon to catch up or hit a trailing Dman and created some offence off cheeky stick work (LAK game comes to mind when he one hand slashed the puck off Lecavalier's stick and into the net, and stole one from him at the side of the net and found Maroon backdoor for the tap in). I'm actually happy that he's shooting the puck more tbh. Last year he would hardly shoot when he was in dangerous spots and passed off a little more than he should have. His shot still needs some work, but the willingness to shoot is definitely encouraging.
That's good to hear, I'm basing my opinion off this tournament since I don't specifically remember much last outside of the highlights.(I actually made an effort to watch Oilers games because of how good he is). I'm actually impressed with his shot, from inside the dots it's damn good and given his agility and speed...he doesn't need a Tarasenko shot.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That's good to hear, I'm basing my opinion off this tournament since I don't specifically remember much last outside of the highlights.(I actually made an effort to watch Oilers games because of how good he is). I'm actually impressed with his shot, from inside the dots it's damn good and given his agility and speed...he doesn't need a Tarasenko shot.

Don't get me wrong he still relies a lot on his speed as thats his bread and butter, but he does have a lot of other good aspects to his game. His shot definitely looks harder this year, probably from getting stronger this summer, but I still think its something he can use some work on so that he can beat some goalies clean more often when he's coming in wide, and so that he has another tool to use on break-aways. He definitely overuses his cut-back to forehand move when he's in all alone. It works sometimes, but being able to switch it up and beat goalies in other ways would really help him score more on breakaways (and he gets a ton of them). Its almost obvious when a goalie just guesses that he'll use the move because they don't bite at all on his fake. He honestly could take a page out of Nuge and Draisaitl's book and start going with the snap shot over the pad and outside the blocker. Those two are both really good at that and its one of the hardest saves for a goalie to make on a breakaway.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

McDavid while absolutely fantastic is becoming pretty predictable. He's going to have to work on driving the net harder or pull up at the circles at hit the trailing man in. The ol backhander short side at full speed isn't working. Still insane how fast he is

giphy.gif

Just because you can predict it doesn't mean you can do anything to stop it, see above, the only thing that stopped that from being in the back of the net is bad luck.

We're over analyzing every shift way too much here, yes maybe he should've gone backhand on that breakaway, but how many players in this tournament can even make that play happen in the first place?

There basically is no other player in this tournament where the puck can be in there own zone, and then single handedly it's in the other team's net in 10 seconds. He's can take the puck and drive it right down the throat of the opposition 2-3 times a game no problem, it's ridiculous.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
giphy.gif

There basically is no other player in this tournament where the puck can be in there own zone, and then single handedly it's in the other team's net in 10 seconds. He's can take the puck and drive it right down the throat of the opposition 2-3 times a game no problem, it's ridiculous.

Kuzy has something to say to that. If he has another goal vs a McDavid lead squad then there's something to this

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Kuzy has something to say to that. If he has another goal vs a McDavid lead squad then there's something to this

Kuzy has great skill but even he can't do a lot of the things McDavid can. Look at that gif, he just goes through 4 Russian defenders like he's on a morning skate and then perfectly gift wraps what should be a goal right to his teammate. Can't believe Schief didn't bury that.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
my prediction: NA - Sweden 4:1

Can't see it. This was NA's chance to go to the Semi final against a weak Russian D. Don't personally see them having nearly as good of a chance against the powerhouse Swedes.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Speaking of "hockey sense," Gaudreau seems to have lost his.

He turns the puck over a lot trying to do everything on his own. He really didn't create many chances when he was out there. He rode shotgun to RNH and Mack buzzing together.

He needs to use his line mates more.

RNH and Mack move the puck well to each other and cycle pretty hard. They create a lot of chances like that. Maybe Gaudreau should take a hint and join in on his line mates plays. He's shown he has the IQ 5o do that but maybe he wants to be the "Go to" guy but doesn't realize he's not good enough to go coast to coast all the time

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
neither Finland or Russia could neutralise Team NA's speed through the neutral zone and transition game but I didn't watch the 3-2 Czech Republic loss, I wonder what happened there

will be interesting to see if Sweden's best D in the world (if Lindholm is in) can neuter it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad