OT: 87th Obsequious Banter Thread: Don't be Brash

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I don’t know the in’s and outs of your business but it’s likely not a case of it being a bubble but more of supply chain issue.

It’s tough to get products and yet the demand is still there so simple supply/demand tells you price will go up.
Hence why gas prices are where they are and not the same as a year ago. It's not just because one pipeline got shut. It's a combination of more demand and the supply chain being out of whack.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
My point wasn’t that big pharma is all bad or that they created Covid to get rich. It’s that fully trusting pharma companies with a vaccine that has barely had any time to be tested is naive. I got the first shot about two weeks ago and go back for the second in a couple weeks so I am not anti vax.

I do think there are good people inside the industry who only want to do good but the companies themselves are only there to make money and will sell you out for it. And there are always more than enough people out there they can find to do shady crap.

Apologies if I misrepresented what you said. I do tend to go on tangents that don't necessarily align with the original post, particularly on topics in which I am passionate. I don't disagree with your point. I will say that while we didn't initially have the length of testing usual for new medications, we more than compensated for by the breadth of testing. Israel was practically a whole nation of Phase 3 analysis. Plus, the mRNA vehicle had been under testing for decades and the Oxford team that developed the AstraZeneca vaccine previously produced a similar one for another coronavirus called Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS). The introduction of these vaccines was certainly not without risk but this definitely underlines the severity of this crisis for an unprecedented number of vaccines to receive emergency approval in such a short time frame.

The rules around drug development have been tightened over the past few decades, including publication of negative study results. Several years back, I was working on an educational program surrounding HDL (the good cholesterol) because one company was developing an agent to boost it. Logically, this would make for a good add-on to current treatment that lowers LDL, and they were intent on prolonging the patent life of their statin through combination with the new drug. One day my boss walked into the room I was in, surrounded by binders of research papers, and said the project was cancelled because the drug study was halted. The experimental agent was causing more heart-related issues than placebo.

The bad guys still exist, though, and I am more pessimistic about where the industry will go in the currently supercharged political climate.

Reactions: Embiid

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I don’t know the in’s and outs of your business but it’s likely not a case of it being a bubble but more of supply chain issue.

It’s tough to get products and yet the demand is still there so simple supply/demand tells you price will go up.

We deal with factory automation equipment and the likes.

Definitely a supply chain issue; the whole chip shortage is causing chaos on a lot of the parts. Parts that typically take a week to get are out 100 working days and they don't expect this to return to normal until sometime next year.

You can only raise prices so many times without being able to deliver product in a timely matter. Prices on everything have gone up in the last year, but I doubt the salary of the average american has gone up to help offset those costs.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Definitely a supply chain issue; the whole chip shortage is causing chaos on a lot of the parts. Parts that typically take a week to get are out 100 working days and they don't expect this to return to normal until sometime next year.

You can only raise prices so many times without being able to deliver product in a timely matter. Prices on everything have gone up in the last year, but I doubt the salary of the average american has gone up to help offset those costs.

My high school job was at a repair shop for industrial automation controllers. I mostly worked in shipping/receiving and making cables. Two of their contracts were with a cigarette factory and a chicken processing plant. One guy handles both, because he had his sense of smell burned out in Vietnam. The chicken units were the worst. The smell is indescribable.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I thought two were mnra and one was a traditional vaccine.
I’ll just toss this onto the large pile of shit I don’t understand.
big-pile-of-shit-jurassic-park.gif

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017

Not to highjack your conversation but the one bright side of this pandemic is the salaries structure at the lower end of the spectrum. Wages have been stagnant for many years and my hope is the wage increases we see are permanent.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
My high school job was at a repair shop for industrial automation controllers. I mostly worked in shipping/receiving and making cables. Two of their contracts were with a cigarette factory and a chicken processing plant. One guy handles both, because he had his sense of smell burned out in Vietnam. The chicken units were the worst. The smell is indescribable.
We had an application just recently where the customer wanted to use a camera to look at chicken's feet and sort out the chickens this way. I've always heard chicken facilities are the worst. We also do jobs for Hatfield Meats, that place ain't pretty either

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We had an application just recently where the customer wanted to use a camera to look at chicken's feet and sort out the chickens this way. I've always heard chicken facilities are the worst. We also do jobs for Hatfield Meats, that place ain't pretty either

Apparently everything is slathered in grease/fat. It gets into everything. It's a wonder anything works as long as it does.

We dealt heavily in those Modicon rack based units where you could easily swap stuff out.

Reactions: Cody Webster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad