OT: 87th Obsequious Banter Thread: Don't be Brash

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think a lot of the anxieties and attitudes seen in Millennials is fully explained by having to watch The Brave Little Toaster as children. Holy shit, who thought that was a good idea?

I mean now I think that movie is an underrated masterpiece, but that shit was too dark to play repeatedly on the Disney channel during the day.

You just have to adjust the setting to lighter.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
FLYERSFAN18 said:
Big pharma for sure is a real enemy. They knowingly allowed and wanted addiction to opioids. They knew the crisis would happen and let it happen. Now they say hey look we have this new drug to cure your opioid addiction, but you have to take it for the rest of your life so we can continue to get rich off your addiction.

To think those turds aren’t making big money off Covid is naive. And if there was something wrong with their vaccine they would not care and they wouldn’t tell you until someone outs them.

It is painfully true that Big Pharma collectively ran out of closet space for their skeletons quite a long time ago. Purdue’s aggressive marketing of OxyContin despite the ocean of red flags – mixed metaphor? – was likely the lowest point of the history of the pharma industry and they were rightly put out of business by the legal action taken by government and class action suits. The thalidomide crisis actually compelled the FDA to take a vastly more extensive involvement in drug oversight and establishment of regulations for approval. Parenthetically, do read about Frances Oldham Kelsey, who singlehandedly blocked FDA approval of thalidomide at the time and therefore prevented the widespread tragedy experienced in other countries (including Canada).

Vioxx was removed from market long after FDA approval due to cardiovascular complications, which only came to light when Merck got greedy and ran a trial to get another indication. And the list goes on.

However, I consider them to be more greedy and dishonest than Bond villain type. Plus, it is difficult to throw a blanket over an entire industry, particularly one that has developed countless life-saving medications. And the FDA, for all its warts, maintains some pretty robust checks and balances for the steps required to get a drug approved.

With respect to inventing diseases to treat, Forbes ran an article in 2018 that pointed out how extensive the lie would have to be for a pharma company to turn a profit with a new medication.

I will now divulge my Conflict of Interest statement here that I owe a 30-year career and all its earnings to Big Pharma. Heck, one company indirectly paid for a big chunk of my honeymoon back in the days before spending regulations. So take my perspective with the necessary grain of salt.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Speaking of big pharma, I went to cvs today. Checked out at the pharmacy and they asked if I wanted to pay with the credit card I have saved on file.
I NEVER GAVE THEM f***ING PERMISSION TO SAVE MY CREDIT CARD INFO.
I have zero faith that they removed my info from the system after complaining and have no idea how to go about finding out.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Speaking of big pharma, I went to cvs today. Checked out at the pharmacy and they asked if I wanted to pay with the credit card I have saved on file.
I NEVER GAVE THEM f***ING PERMISSION TO SAVE MY CREDIT CARD INFO.
I have zero faith that they removed my info from the system after complaining and have no idea how to go about finding out.
You're the blowtorch master you know how to fix this problem
200w.gif

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It is painfully true that Big Pharma collectively ran out of closet space for their skeletons quite a long time ago. Purdue’s aggressive marketing of OxyContin despite the ocean of red flags – mixed metaphor? – was likely the lowest point of the history of the pharma industry and they were rightly put out of business by the legal action taken by government and class action suits. The thalidomide crisis actually compelled the FDA to take a vastly more extensive involvement in drug oversight and establishment of regulations for approval. Parenthetically, do read about Frances Oldham Kelsey, who singlehandedly blocked FDA approval of thalidomide at the time and therefore prevented the widespread tragedy experienced in other countries (including Canada).

Vioxx was removed from market long after FDA approval due to cardiovascular complications, which only came to light when Merck got greedy and ran a trial to get another indication. And the list goes on.

However, I consider them to be more greedy and dishonest than Bond villain type. None of which I am aware have concocted Plus, it is difficult to throw a blanket over an entire industry, particularly one that has developed countless life-saving medications. And the FDA, for all its warts, maintains some pretty robust checks and balances for the steps required to get a drug approved.

With respect to inventing diseases to treat, Forbes ran an article in 2018 that pointed out how extensive the lie would have to be for a pharma company to turn a profit with a new medication.

I will now divulge my Conflict of Interest statement here that I owe a 30-year career and all its earnings to Big Pharma. Heck, one company indirectly paid for a big chunk of my honeymoon back in the days before spending regulations. So take my perspective with the necessary grain of salt.
Exactly. Corruption and greed run rampant in human endeavor, period. Fact of the matter is "big pharma" has saved, prolonged, and improved the lives of millions on billions of people over the years, sans a few unfortunate faults.

Not to mention people misconstrue "big pharma" as the reason healthcare is so expensive in the heaven on Earth, the greatest country in the world, the best country in the world, from sea to shining sea, the wonderful godforsaken US of A.

Insurance companies are in the government's pockets more than "big pharma". They are the reason for healthcare expenditure out of pocket. The neutering (preferably abolishment) of insurance companies would go a long way in more accessible healthcare. Sort yerselves ote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad