#87 Sidney Crosby Milestone Thread - History will be made (1600 points)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If I would guesstimate, I would say the period from 2010-2016 had the least PPG players since the Howe days or maybe ever so it would make the PPG record more impressive IMO. Most of those years only one guy broke the 100 point barrier and a handful with 80 points. Crazy.

Mario had Brown and Errey at some point, but are Sidney's linemates so much better? Kunitz, Dupuis, Guentzel, Rust are 2nd liners at best but pretty much just 3rd. Mario also got lazy at times and played no defense until Bowman showed up for the cup years. No doubt the player with the most innate talent ever though.

Yep, this makes it all the more impressive. That period was worse than the dead puck era for scoring.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well it’s a pretty hard to predict. It’s more than a question of whether he CAN keep playing at this level, the other layer is “will he HAVE to keep playing at this level?”

At this point he is carrying the team on his back. The depth scoring has been brutally bad, which puts more of the onus on Crosby and his line to be producing at such a pace.

If the penguins get more scoring from the bottom 9 and the defense then it takes some responsibility off of Sid to continue scoring.

If the team as a whole is not in as many situations of chasing games every night then he won’t have as much opportunity or need to score as much.

Also it’s a tall order because he would actually have to increase his production to reach 1600. He’s currently scoring about 1.1 points/game, he would need to bump it up to 1.3 to get 52 points in 40 games.

I think his aim should be for a 50 goal season. He has all of next season to get 1600 points.

Reactions: Mr Buckles

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Sorry guys did not mean to derail the thread. What are the odds he hits 1600 points before the end of this season. He would require 52 points in 40 games. I think he can squeak it out.

Pretty low, but I don’t see why he won’t pass Esposito, which would also make him quicker to 1590 points (needs 42 points in his next 49 games to do it quicker).

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Well it’s a pretty hard to predict. It’s more than a question of whether he CAN keep playing at this level, the other layer is “will he HAVE to keep playing at this level?”

At this point he is carrying the team on his back. The depth scoring has been brutally bad, which puts more of the onus on Crosby and his line to be producing at such a pace.

If the penguins get more scoring from the bottom 9 and the defense then it takes some responsibility off of Sid to continue scoring.

If the team as a whole is not in as many situations of chasing games every night then he won’t have as much opportunity or need to score as much.

Also it’s a tall order because he would actually have to increase his production to reach 1600. He’s currently scoring about 1.1 points/game, he would need to bump it up to 1.3 to get 52 points in 40 games.

He's doing all that with a non-existant PP though. At some point that unit has to find some success you'd think. 13.7% down at 29th in the league.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I think his aim should be for a 50 goal season. He has all of next season to get 1600 points.
I think his aim is, and should be, to do whatever needs done to get the team to the playoffs and push as hard as he can to help the team win the cup.
He's doing all that with a non-existant PP though. At some point that unit has to find some success you'd think. 13.7% down at 29th in the league.
Very true, you’d have to think that would bolster his production, but it’s hard to tell what effect thst would have.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think his aim is, and should be, to do whatever needs done to get the team to the playoffs and push as hard as he can to help the team win the cup.

Very true, you’d have to think that would bolster his production, but it’s hard to tell what effect thst would have.

Agreed. Just narrowing it down to individual accomplishments I’m sure he would love to get a 50 goal season at this point in his career and it’s likely his last chance.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I am one of the biggest Crosby fan...but I have to be honest..:

He is the main reason why Pens Pp is so bad since a few years.

When he has the puck 9 out 10 tomes he pass the puck to the right d.....every single time.

He has no more creativity on the pp.....and I don't understand why he pass the puck to either Karlsson or Letang all the time

Reactions: WalterLundy

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

When he has the puck 9 out 10 tomes he pass the puck to the right d.....every single time.

He has no more creativity on the pp.....and I don't understand why he pass the puck to either Karlsson or Letang all the time
I think if one of those two guys + Malkin would be ripping more quick shots they'd have more success off of tips/rebounds with traffic. The problem is that EK/Letang and Malkin pass the puck back and forth 12 times and then take the most obvious shot, which gets blocked, just about every zone possession.

Reactions: Offtheboard412

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
Not a milestone, but I was surprised to see that Crosby, in the tail end of his career and more of a passer than scorer, is 9th in goals since 2016-17:

WechatIMG31.jpg

Reactions: Dessloch

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
I think if one of those two guys + Malkin would be ripping more quick shots they'd have more success off of tips/rebounds with traffic. The problem is that EK/Letang and Malkin pass the puck back and forth 12 times and then take the most obvious shot, which gets blocked, just about every zone possession.
Crosby should be looking to step forward towards the defense and looking to shoot first. He's beyond predictable at this point. For a guy with such incredible hockey IQ in most facets of the game it blows my mind that he's never seemed to pick up on that aspect of a successful power play. His creativity and aggressiveness attacking defenders has slowly declined to the point where it's basically non existant. If he bothered to develop a couple of reliable one on one moves to create space for his shot he would be so much more deadly on the power play.

It's why he's had the most success when the power play hasn't run through him and he instead looked to hang around the side of the net using his hand eye to tip pucks and put home rebounds They should also stop looking to set up Malkin for the one timer, his shot is nowhere near as lethal as it used to be. There's a reason the power play was it's most effective when they had Gonchar and later Kessel. It all built off the threat of them shooting first, the passing options open up when defenders know they have to step up and try to take away the shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slimmy

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Monday night was Sidney Crosby's 458th career multi-point game, which puts him ahead of Phil Esposito for the 10th most in NHL history:

#99 is not shaking in his boots though :D

LbdIFEJ.jpg
I hate to be another one of those what if guys, but I think it’s safe to say without missing those games over 2-3 seasons in his prime with the concussion, neck and jaw injuries that he’d be pushing for 2nd already, which is insane given when he’s played.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sorry guys did not mean to derail the thread. What are the odds he hits 1600 points before the end of this season. He would require 52 points in 40 games. I think he can squeak it out.
It could happen but I think Sid is going to do everything to lead the Pens into the playoffs and some points might be sacrificed.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Crosby should be looking to step forward towards the defense and looking to shoot first. He's beyond predictable at this point. For a guy with such incredible hockey IQ in most facets of the game it blows my mind that he's never seemed to pick up on that aspect of a successful power play. His creativity and aggressiveness attacking defenders has slowly declined to the point where it's basically non existant. If he bothered to develop a couple of reliable one on one moves to create space for his shot he would be so much more deadly on the power play.

It's why he's had the most success when the power play hasn't run through him and he instead looked to hang around the side of the net using his hand eye to tip pucks and put home rebounds They should also stop looking to set up Malkin for the one timer, his shot is nowhere near as lethal as it used to be. There's a reason the power play was it's most effective when they had Gonchar and later Kessel. It all built off the threat of them shooting first, the passing options open up when defenders know they have to step up and try to take away the shot.
I think it’s mostly on the PP coach…but what you are describing is someone trying to play it safe and maintain possession so keep it on the outside, back to D, etc and not take too many chances. I know they have given up SH goals in he past and normally it’s the result of D taking chances but not sure where they’d rank with rest of league. There is no question though, if you want a good PP, you have to take chances which does put you at higher risk of giving up chances, but that’s the way it goes. I really think they are not wanting to take too many chances, not necessarily to avoid SH opportunities, but not wanting to give up possession as it is so important to a PP....this is where the coach needs to make adjustments though.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
We got HFBoard members thinking they know how to play the game of hockey better than Crosby

Dam

We got HFBoards members that instead of directly quoting a person and stating where they disagree will make indirect passive aggressive statements to nobody in particular.

Damn.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011

Why isn't he down at the goal line like his golden days? His puck deflection skill has to be one of the best all time

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
6VR6Avq.png

Just a shame MAF stole an assist from him at the end when Rust managed to miss on an open net :cool:

Reactions: Dominance

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Wouldn't that be something if he manages to get 50 this year at 36 years old.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver

Yeah McDavid does this well at times

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Yeah McDavid does this well at times
McDavid is not soon to be 37 with 5+ concussions and some other serious injuries on his resume! Sid has kept it on the perimeter since returning from his year long break from hockey because of concussions and a fractured neck. Its a calculated move to avoid having his career ended by another concussion.

Reactions: Slimmy and sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad