#87 Sidney Crosby Milestone Thread - History will be made (1600 points)

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Crosby already has the record of most PPG +1 consecutive seasons with 17 and this year would make it 18 but he already is in rarified air.

That's such an odd stat because it's counting 22 and 36 game seasons in it. He was easily going to be PPG in those season (37 points and 56 points) but it sort of takes the prestige out of it when it's less than half a season.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That's such an odd stat because it's counting 22 and 36 game seasons in it. He was easily going to be PPG in those season (37 points and 56 points) but it sort of takes the prestige out of it when it's less than half a season.
You could have just saved us the trouble and said you don't like Crosby.

There were only 48 games in the season where he scored 56 points.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
You could have just saved us the trouble and said you don't like Crosby.

There were only 48 games in the season where he scored 56 points.

You've exposed me, I hate Crosby (I don't think I've ever posted anything negative about him). I just feel there should be a minimum games played for a record like that to count, it looks out of place.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I agree it is an odd stat but the overall point is that Crosby's consecutive prime from rookie season until today has basically never been matched in absolute terms and less than a handful of players have had the consistency that Crosby has had.

Gretzky and Howe.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I agree it is an odd stat but the overall point is that Crosby's consecutive prime from rookie season until today has basically never been matched in absolute terms and less than a handful of players have had the consistency that Crosby has had.

Gretzky and Howe.

You put it very eloquently. Can't be that easy if nobody else has ever done it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Gretzky and Howe.

Bourque.....

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You put it very eloquently. Can't be that easy if nobody else has ever done it.
It's trivial though as over time the NHL hasn't always had high enough scoring and players careers are interrupted by war, injuries and didn't play as long or early so many different variables.

But for me, aside from the milestones I think Crosby in terms of overall impact is the most impactful Penguin ever, yes even more impactful than Mario.

My Big 5 would break down like this,

Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Crosby
Mario but even here at #5 I might take knowing what we know and how their careers unfolded with injuries ect a Dman like Potvin, Bourque, Harvey or Lidstrom but video game numbers right?

I eventually think McDavid will make it a big 6 BTW.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bourque.....
Not strictly in terms of consecutive years PPG +1 seasons but I do get your overall point.

NM I see that you were responding to my notion of actual consistency and I guess Bourque might be the poster boy for Dmen but not really on the level with Gretzky, Howe and Crosby.

Although while I write this I do wonder and these types of things are always impossible because people know how the rest of Bourque's career panned out, but which Dman had the best first 5 seasons in the NHL after Orr?

Bourque, Makar, Potvin?

I think there is a really strong argument that Bourque might end up 3rd on such a question.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Crosby already has the record of most PPG +1 consecutive seasons with 17 and this year would make it 18 but he already is in rarified air.
This year would make it 19, Gretzky has 18 I think, but not consecutive

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
I also happen to personally be a ppg over more than 40 years not playing the game.

Not to brag but that been kind of easy.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
It's trivial though as over time the NHL hasn't always had high enough scoring and players careers are interrupted by war, injuries and didn't play as long or early so many different variables.

But for me, aside from the milestones I think Crosby in terms of overall impact is the most impactful Penguin ever, yes even more impactful than Mario.

My Big 5 would break down like this,

Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Crosby
Mario but even here at #5 I might take knowing what we know and how their careers unfolded with injuries ect a Dman like Potvin, Bourque, Harvey or Lidstrom but video game numbers right?

I eventually think McDavid will make it a big 6 BTW.

Crosby is my favorite player since 20 years....but Mario was so much better...not even close.

I have seen both playerd at their prime and Lemieux was so dominant.

...with players like Brown and Errey on his line.

Crosby and Mcdavid could never stop playing at 31 years old..come back at 35 and score 35 goals in 43 games....

Actually not a single player in history of hockey could do it..and Lemieux did it in 2000 in the the dead puck era....

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Zero divided by zero is not one.

We don't know that... for all we know zero have no multiplicative inverse, so you can't make a valid calculation, but if you insist and try to calculate anyway then it's return 0=1

So 1 is still.. kind off the closest answer.
I know... fascinating... put an * to my record for all I care ;)

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
We don't know that... for all we know zero have no multiplicative inverse, so you can't make a valid calculation, but if you insist and try to calculate anyway then it's return 0=1

So 1 is still.. kind off the closest answer.
I know... fascinating... put an * to my record for all I care ;)

Zero divided by zero is undefined, like your NHL career.

In no Euclidean universe is it equal to one.

Reactions: GrumpyKoala

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Zero divided by zero is undefined, like your NHL career.

In no Euclidean universe is it equal to one.

Undefined is just because we haven't solved that equation just yet. I could also be a 42 ppg player for all we currently know.

Man I need to shut up.
Congratulations to Crosby for whatever next record he about to break.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Crosby is my favorite player since 20 years....but Mario was so much better...not even close.

I have seen both playerd at their prime and Lemieux was so dominant.

...with players like Brown and Errey on his line.

Crosby and Mcdavid could never stop playing at 31 years old..come back at 35 and score 35 goals in 43 games....

Actually not a single player in history of hockey could do it..and Lemieux did it in 2000 in the the dead puck era....
I'm old enough to remember Mario as well but my point was actual overall impact in terms of winning and losing leadership and their entire 2 way games and careers stack up.

I think a deep dive would reveal more than just video game stats.

AppreciateHockey

Dec 12, 2023
If I would guesstimate, I would say the period from 2010-2016 had the least PPG players since the Howe days or maybe ever so it would make the PPG record more impressive IMO. Most of those years only one guy broke the 100 point barrier and a handful with 80 points. Crazy.

Mario had Brown and Errey at some point, but are Sidney's linemates so much better? Kunitz, Dupuis, Guentzel, Rust are 2nd liners at best but pretty much just 3rd. Mario also got lazy at times and played no defense until Bowman showed up for the cup years. No doubt the player with the most innate talent ever though.

Reactions: authentic

Nathaniel Skywalker

DIG IN!!! RiGHT NOW!!!
Oct 18, 2013
You've exposed me, I hate Crosby (I don't think I've ever posted anything negative about him). I just feel there should be a minimum games played for a record like that to count, it looks out of place.
There's been no time in crosbys career where he's missed a ppg in a full season. If you want to believe that would cease to be a reality during his peak years. In seasons where he was 25, 15, and 20 points over a ppg....so be it

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
There's been no time in crosbys career where he's missed a ppg in a full season. If you want to believe that would cease to be a reality during his peak years. In seasons where he was 25, 15, and 20 points over a ppg....so be it

I said "He was easily going to be PPG in those seasons". Please don't try to imply something that wasn't said.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Sorry guys did not mean to derail the thread. What are the odds he hits 1600 points before the end of this season. He would require 52 points in 40 games. I think he can squeak it out.

deleted user

Dec 16, 2019
Sorry guys did not mean to derail the thread. What are the odds he hits 1600 points before the end of this season. He would require 52 points in 40 games. I think he can squeak it out.
I really hope he does.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Well it’s a pretty hard to predict. It’s more than a question of whether he CAN keep playing at this level, the other layer is “will he HAVE to keep playing at this level?”

At this point he is carrying the team on his back. The depth scoring has been brutally bad, which puts more of the onus on Crosby and his line to be producing at such a pace.

If the penguins get more scoring from the bottom 9 and the defense then it takes some responsibility off of Sid to continue scoring.

If the team as a whole is not in as many situations of chasing games every night then he won’t have as much opportunity or need to score as much.

Also it’s a tall order because he would actually have to increase his production to reach 1600. He’s currently scoring about 1.1 points/game, he would need to bump it up to 1.3 to get 52 points in 40 games.

Reactions: Dessloch

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Well it’s a pretty hard to predict. It’s more than a question of whether he CAN keep playing at this level, the other layer is “will he HAVE to keep playing at this level?”

At this point he is carrying the team on his back. The depth scoring has been brutally bad, which puts more of the onus on Crosby and his line to be producing at such a pace.

If the penguins get more scoring from the bottom 9 and the defense then it takes some responsibility off of Sid to continue scoring.

If the team as a whole is not in as many situations of chasing games every night then he won’t have as much opportunity or need to score as much.

Also it’s a tall order because he would actually have to increase his production to reach 1600. He’s currently scoring about 1.1 points/game, he would need to bump it up to 1.3 to get 52 points in 40 games.
Plus last year his production really tanked the last month of the season. Very likely to age and being worn down from, as you said, carrying a mediocre team on his back for 5 months or so.

Would be cool if the team around him could actually step it up for once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad