#87 Sidney Crosby Milestone Thread - History will be made (1600 points)

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Only stat that matters is sid has more points while playing in 170 less gp
From day 1, back in 2005, I suggested Crosby will surely score more points and Ovechkin will score more goals.....I still think that will be the case, but crazy how close they still are in points.....health will obviously be the deciding factor.

The real crazy thing though is....these guys joined the league at the same time, both with lots of hype and both have actually exceeded that hype. They currently sit 17/18 in all time scoring and will likely finish this year at 15/16.....will likely finish their careers both in top 10.....and if you remove guys that played in the 80s, top 3/4

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
From day 1, back in 2005, I suggested Crosby will surely score more points and Ovechkin will score more goals.....I still think that will be the case, but crazy how close they still are in points.....health will obviously be the deciding factor.

The real crazy thing though is....these guys joined the league at the same time, both with lots of hype and both have actually exceeded that hype. They currently sit 17/18 in all time scoring and will likely finish this year at 15/16.....will likely finish their careers both in top 10.....and if you remove guys that played in the 80s, top 3/4
Close for sure. Sid has 9 more points. Although worth noting Crosby played in 167 fewer games (2 seasons)

but who's counting ;)

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think Sid's gonna have one last monster year this season.
Yes and maybe more than one season. The pro shinny style that is becoming the norm in the regular season - Fitness machines players like Sid, Bergeron, OV etc..... can extend playing at a high level into late their late 30s with more ease than ever before.

Last edited:

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Yes and maybe more than one season. The pro shinny style that is becoming the norm in the regular season - Fitness machines players like Sid, Bergeron, OV etc..... can extend playing at a high level into late their late 30s with more ease than ever before.
Maybe, maybe not. I think, in a lot of ways, it's harder to play later in your career these days. The game is so quick, it's harder and harder to keep up as you get older vs. where it was back in the 90s or 80s.

Crosby had explosive speed, but that wasn't the defining skill that made him who he is, so he may be able to adapt a little better than others. Right now, that's why I'm looking at McDavid and wondering how his career will go later in his 30's when his speed leaves him....right now, his big differentiator is carrying the puck with speed.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Maybe, maybe not. I think, in a lot of ways, it's harder to play later in your career these days. The game is so quick, it's harder and harder to keep up as you get older vs. where it was back in the 90s or 80s.

Crosby had explosive speed, but that wasn't the defining skill that made him who he is, so he may be able to adapt a little better than others. Right now, that's why I'm looking at McDavid and wondering how his career will go later in his 30's when his speed leaves him....right now, his big differentiator is carrying the puck with speed.
Indeed, Good points.

Nathaniel Skywalker

DIG IN!!! RiGHT NOW!!!
Oct 18, 2013
Hopefully sid continues n has another great year. Top 10 in scoring and top 5 in hart would be brilliant then some noise in the po

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
This record was beaten 1 hour after the tweet :) Sayonara Mario!

---

Last edited:
Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

It’s harder to play later in your 30s because of the cap. Teams just don’t want to give contracts, especially multi-year deals, to the 35 plus crowd.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Crosby having a great season so far. Up to 17th all time, 17 points off Teemu Selanne and 27 off Stan Mikita. Should pass both this season.

60 points to 1500. He could be top 10 by the end of next season.

Reactions: Dessloch

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
Crosby having a great season so far. Up to 17th all time, 17 points off Teemu Selanne and 27 off Stan Mikita. Should pass both this season.
On the verge of passing Stan Mikita in points. And kind of freaky how similar their career goal, assists and points totals are to each other.

Stan Crosby.png

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Old man trucking along even getting his first game misconduct after 18 seasons, there is still a pulse :D

Sid has passed Larry Murphy on the all time assists list and is now 17th, 1 assist behind Al MacInnis for 16th.

And back in the top 10 scoring list as well at 10th. with a couple of games in hand.

Last edited:

CorgiAttack87

Jan 26, 2019
20 points to 1500! Great season at age 35. Hilarious reading that Ovechkin thread when they tied in points a while back, don't look now (14 points lead).

Reactions: Mr Buckles

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crazy that some of these greats barely won any individual NHL hardware (tough as a forward during the Wayne/Mario eras).
Sundin, a TML legend, not a single NHL trophy...crazy.

Even without them there isn't one season he would'v won anything. He was just consistently a really good player and never close to the best.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
On pace for 99 points, would love to see him notch another 100 point season.

If only the PP could get to a decent level it would be done for sure! But thats not to be expected, so it will be a hard fought battle! As things usually tighten up during the stretch run I kind of doubt he´ll get there!

Reactions: CorgiAttack87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad