Value of: 8 million dollars in dead cap space to NJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
if i were nj's gm i'd treat that cap space like gold. now if i were willing to take on a bad contract i'd try to start a bidding war and get max value. i wish my wild had cap space! if we had a 2nd to offer you to take pommer id do it instead of buying him out next summer. our gm has given away picks like halloween candy. cheers! last time i was in jersey i had a great sub sandwich in bridgeton a little place called harriets or hazels. i asked for a big pop and the cashier had no idea what i wanted!

Welcome to Jersey! You want a soda
Next time you are here get some pizza, you won't regret it

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Does anybody know haw the taxation would be affected if a low tax team like TB retains? Would the player pay tax to 2 states therefore saving on the retained portion?

They pay tax to their place of residence. Im assuming theyd have a permanent address for legal purposes and it would be paid there.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
if i were nj's gm i'd treat that cap space like gold. now if i were willing to take on a bad contract i'd try to start a bidding war and get max value. i wish my wild had cap space! if we had a 2nd to offer you to take pommer id do it instead of buying him out next summer. our gm has given away picks like halloween candy. cheers! last time i was in jersey i had a great sub sandwich in bridgeton a little place called harriets or hazels. i asked for a big pop and the cashier had no idea what i wanted!

This was your own fault.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
if I had to guess:

Greene-Severson
Moore-Lovejoy
Merrill-Santini

Mozik/Helgeson/Auvitu first men up

we definitely need another LHD IMO

That suggests that we could offer JJ, but I'm honestly not sure what would be good to ask for in return. I hesitate to move him only because 1) Werenski might not be ready yet and JJ's the backup plan in that regard, and 2) his remaining on the roster might be our best defense against Vegas poaching one of our young goaltenders.

As to the OP... y'all know that you're always welcome to take back Clarkson any time you like. ;)

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
if I had to guess:

Greene-Severson
Moore-Lovejoy
Merrill-Santini

Mozik/Helgeson/Auvitu first men up

we definitely need another LHD IMO

At this point in time, it seems like NJ should be looking at teams who are trying to sign RFA's before the season starts and could use the extra $$. I see three potential trade partners:

Winnipeg (so they can sign Trouba)
Calgary (so they can sign Gaudreau)
Anaheim (so they can sign Lindholm/Rakell)

- Stoner from Anaheim seems like a good bet, but is there another prospect that the Ducks can throw in to make it worth it for the Devils?
- It was just announced today that Ladislav Smid will miss the entire 2016-17 season, which is the final year of his contract. I know the Flames can LTIR him when the season starts, but maybe they want the flexibility now to sign Johnny Hockey - in which case maybe they throw in a prospect who's low on the depth chart (Klimchuk? Poirier? Hunter Smith?) and the Devils send back an AHLer?
- It seems like the Jets are stocked with good prospects, so would they part with one of them to get rid of Mark Stuart's contract? That seems like the best fit to me, since Stuart can actually play and might benefit the Devils.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
At this point in time, it seems like NJ should be looking at teams who are trying to sign RFA's before the season starts and could use the extra $$. I see three potential trade partners:

Winnipeg (so they can sign Trouba)
Calgary (so they can sign Gaudreau)

- Stoner from Anaheim seems like a good bet, but is there another prospect that the Ducks can throw in to make it worth it for the Devils?
- It was just announced today that Ladislav Smid will miss the entire 2016-17 season, which is the final year of his contract. I know the Flames can LTIR him when the season starts, but maybe they want the flexibility now to sign Johnny Hockey - in which case maybe they throw in a prospect who's low on the depth chart (Klimchuk? Poirier? Hunter Smith?) and the Devils send back an AHLer?
- It seems like the Jets are stocked with good prospects, so would they part with one of them to get rid of Mark Stuart's contract? That seems like the best fit to me, since Stuart can actually play and might benefit the Devils.

Anything the Devs are going to want will be there up and coming stud d men which Ana won't give up (and I understand that). I mean maybe Larsson but prob not, Montour is a farther ask and Theo is not going to happen (easy Ana fans). We come back to Fowler and we all know how that s*$t show ends up here. Not sure how Noesen has bounced back from his couple on injuries that might be something

With Cal option, I don't know those guys so cannot talk to that, we have some d men at AHL that might never make it so there is that. We have no RWs. G's we are keeping, our Cs are the only think of value IMO. How about Seth Hegelson?

In Winnipeg, Stuarts contract is not awful. Dano (poor *******, cant stick anywhere), Armia and the other guy I like is Petan.

The thing is, is Shero stocking up for a big run at a Shattenkirk or similar?

Interesting thoughts Goose

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
and it pains me to say it, but you should be talking to Calgary about taking Wideman off their hands. He's 5.25 AAV with 6 in actual salary, but they would be desperate to move him and would probably offer something pretty huge if you took the whole contract without retention. Think about the Teravainen deal to Carolina huge.
Why will they be desperate to move Wideman? Because people are so fixated on him being slightly overpaid and what happened with the official last year? With it being announced that Smid will not play this year, we aren't in a cap bind.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
No it isn't how can you not know what pop is?

The country started in the Northeast.

The Northeast calls it soda.

/discussion

In all seriousness, if the Devils are actually buyers for the first time in five years come the deadline, I'm all for Shero shaking things up if the situation calls for it. But this team, as they are built, should be given a legitimate chance.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay

Ducks definitely have some interest in dumping Stoner on NJ. However, I don't think they'll get a free young NHLer like Noesen. Noesen has always been hurt, but our weak winger depth right now could make him an NHLer to start the season. We do have a wealth of dmen in the minors, so one of the non-spectacular guys like Kenton Helgesen (D/LW) or maybe Andrew O'Brien could head the other way with Stoner for a 7th. He is a somewhat serviceable dman when he's on his game, so we aren't incredibly incentivized to give up a valued young prospect for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad