GDT: #7 | Flyers at Capitals | Wednesday, October 23rd, 2024 | 7:30 PM | TNT, 93.3 FM

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I love how this thread has turned into asking @JojoTheWhale to sift through the stats to find the worst Flyers dman of the last 2 decades.
It's like asking your grandparents how bad food rationing was during the War.

I, too, am very surprised that Hagg occupies the lowest rung on this mostly buried ladder. I would have thought Manning or Yandle. So much for the cataract-laden eye test.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Sorry for beating a dead Hagg after that conversation petered out, but he is my exhibit A for this franchise's failure to identify and develop talent. He had some offensive flair in juniors and I remember that most were pleased with nabbing him with a 2nd round pick. The Flyers braintrust tunnel-visioned to "big body, hitz, safe plays" which I believe was an immense disservice to his development. We then got to pleasure of seeing a player who had to remake his entire game and looked putrid for it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Zamula was better last season, for some reason, he's started this season in a mind fog.

Smooth skater, good passer, but below average speed and that frame will always limit his ability to gain leverage against stronger forwards, but it does give him a wide reach radius.

His physical limitations puts a priority on IQ, and that's what's been lacking this season.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Sorry for beating a dead Hagg after that conversation petered out, but he is my exhibit A for this franchise's failure to identify and develop talent. He had some offensive flair in juniors and I remember that most were pleased with nabbing him with a 2nd round pick. The Flyers braintrust tunnel-visioned to "big body, hitz, safe plays" which I believe was an immense disservice to his development. We then got to pleasure of seeing a player who had to remake his entire game and looked putrid for it.
#beaf***ingFlyer...

Reactions: BernieParent

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Sometimes you just gotta pull over, buy some 190 proof swill, and chug it in the parking lot and go to sleep.

That's one of those times

It was during that era that my local Shop Rite had gotten a shipment of Flyers-branded 24oz Labbatt cans. Deep in Devils/Rangers territory, they had gone mostly-untouched, so I bought out the whole stock and was set for the whole winter. Definitely had one open and the game on the second I was through the door.

I miss the times when I'd buy products simply because they had a Flyers logo on them—now I tend to avoid them. I also sometimes miss not being responsible for a small human so I could rip down 4 24oz Labatt cans on a random Tuesday, but that's probably for the best.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Zamula was better last season, for some reason, he's started this season in a mind fog.

Smooth skater, good passer, but below average speed and that frame will always limit his ability to gain leverage against stronger forwards, but it does give him a wide reach radius.

His physical limitations puts a priority on IQ, and that's what's been lacking this season.

Players regressing is a routine trend. Welcome to Flyers Player Development. We've been telling this since Hexall's shitty philosophies sank their claws in.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Players regressing is a routine trend. Welcome to Flyers Player Development. We've been telling this since Hexall's shitty philosophies sank their claws in.
Or he's not that good and opposing teams after watching film try to get pressure on him quickly and force him into bad passes? They pay the other guys, ya know.

It's not like Zamula is going to skate out of pressure.
Torts said before the season that Z has to speed up his decision making.
Now we're seeing why.

Every player who develops eventually hits a plateau.
The problem is predicting that plateau, then moving the player before the rest of the league recognizes there's no upside left.
Sounds so easy, even a caveman like Jo Jo can do it!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Or he's not that good and opposing teams after watching film try to get pressure on him quickly and force him into bad passes? They pay the other guys, ya know.

It's not like Zamula is going to skate out of pressure.
Torts said before the season that Z has to speed up his decision making.
Now we're seeing why.

Every player who develops eventually hits a plateau.
The problem is predicting that plateau, then moving the player before the rest of the league recognizes there's no upside left.
Sounds so easy, even a caveman like Jo Jo can do it!

If every other team is routinely figuring out our players this thoroughly and there is no answer to this, I do not understand how this absolves coaching and management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad