GDT: #7 | Flyers at Capitals | Wednesday, October 23rd, 2024 | 7:30 PM | TNT, 93.3 FM

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe the dumbest thing I have seen here.

Rebuilding teams must have big expectations to improve year after year and build a system.
Quite the opposite, if you're going to play a lot of young players, you're going to be inconsistent.
I think they're not fixated on winning.

They want to be competitive, b/c it's a better environment for player development, but they're not making moves to make the playoffs by adding veterans.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Quite the opposite, if you're going to play a lot of young players, you're going to be inconsistent.
I think they're not fixated on winning.

They want to be competitive, b/c it's a better environment for player development, but they're not making moves to make the playoffs by adding veterans.

They absolutely expected to be in the playoff bubble race, and if they backslide to the bottom 5-8, it's not what they envisioned. You can already see the panic setting in with the scratches, lines, talk around the team. What says patience about this? And they didn't make moves to add veterans because they already have plenty of veterans they won't move (they just re-signed 2 of their oldest players). That's how Brink and Foerster still get scratched, with Luchanko not playing.

They're also less young than they appear. Luchanko will be sent down; Andrae is on the bench. Their goalies average out as 26 years old but might very well be near the statistical bottom or out of the league. Their youngest defenseman is Drysdale, but he's in his 5th NHL season and might simply be bad. Next is Zamula, and he's on borrowed time. Their 25 year old, 8-year term cornerstone player is a forever inconsistent middle 6 player. Being 27 years old (Konecny) means nothing when they are years away. I think one of Farabee or Frost gets traded for a similarly aged player this season.

If the Flyers were the youngest team in the league, it doesn't matter because it doesn't speak to talent. The Flyers believe they are near their requisite talent level.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
"Youngest team in the league" is such a misleading statement, considering the age of many of their important players and how often they scratch their youngest players for washed veterans.

It's pure propaganda, and the Flyers are the masters of that craft.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just have no expectations the next two seasons and you'll be fine.

When Fletcher was GM, you insisted we'd be contending by now because his rebuild would be complete. Every year, you insist that in two years things will be good.

Never mind that he was obviously never rebuilding, just as they obviously aren't rebuilding now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When Fletcher was GM, you insisted we'd be contending by now because his rebuild would be complete. Every year, you insist that in two years things will be good.

Never mind that he was obviously never rebuilding, just as they obviously aren't rebuilding now.
You know I never said that b/c Fletcher never tried to rebuild anything.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wait, I was told the vets won't block the kids.

And Fletch only made 1 mistake.

And Torts is a great coach and no players dislike him.

So confusing.

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They can and should be younger, but they chose not to actually rebuild.
They shouldn't be younger, b/c no one in LHV is NHL ready right now.

Lycksell (25) and Andrae (22) are the closest.
Lycksell isn't beating out Cates (25).
Andrae might challenge Zamula (23) at some point.

Ginning (24) and Attard (25) failed to win jobs last year and this season.

The rest are a year or two away, Avon (21), Tuomaala (21), Desnoyers (22), McDonald (22), Samson (21). Grans (22) has flatlined, Rizzo (23) is a disappointment,

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
They shouldn't be younger, b/c no one in LHV is NHL ready right now.

Lycksell (25) and Andrae (22) are the closest.
Lycksell isn't beating out Cates (25).
Andrae might challenge Zamula (23) at some point.

Ginning (24) and Attard (25) failed to win jobs last year and this season.

The rest are a year or two away, Avon (21), Tuomaala (21), Desnoyers (22), McDonald (22), Samson (21). Grans (22) has flatlined, Rizzo (23) is a disappointment,
Nick Seeler at age 27 still wasn't NHL ready, and you know what happened? The Flyers picked him up and played him and actually invested the ice time to turn him into an everyday NHL player. And now he's the stabilizing force of an entire NHL defence core!

Maybe playing these players you think have failed won't change anything. Maybe it would. We'll never know, and the team refuses to even try and turn them into something like they did Seeler, and chooses to play the Johnson's of the world instead.

It costs the team nothing not to resign washed veterans and instead invest the NHL minutes they would have given them into maybe making something of these AHL players. And don't give me that "...the NHL isn't a development league" BS after the Luchanko debacle, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad