Confirmed with Link: 6 year extension for Kaiden Guhle (5.5m AAV)

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
My gawd! What’s going on here? Did all these players magically forget that Montréal is the highest taxed city in the league? 😮
How fast everyone forgot the team friendly 2nd contracts signed by Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher… #noplayerleverage

Pull off magic with UFA contracts, then I’ll be impressed

Reactions: rahad and Big Lurk

WG

Sep 9, 2008
They have zero cap issues next year. They are out of cap hell even with Gally and Anderson’s contracts still on the books.

I think they figure out a way to swap Anderson for some overpaid vet D next year and Gallagher they'll try to pull a Ryan Callahan to go LTIR for the last year or two. Fortunately cap won't really be an issue next summer either so there's time to figure it out.
Yup. Going into 25-26 season and rounding for easier math:

Suz-CC-Slaf =24M
Dach-Newhook-Demidov = 7M
Roy-X-X= 1M**
Beck-Gally-Andy = 13M
13F 14F =2M Total forward = 46M

(** two open spots to be filled by trade/UFA)

Math-Guhle = 10M
Hutson-Rein = 2M
AX-Barron = 3M
Struble = 1M Total D = 16M

Monty-Primo = 4M

That's 66M, cap will probably be 90M, so there's 24M to get two top 9 F, maybe a vet D and that's even with Gallagher and Anderson soaking up 12M. Now if Hughes can make both of those albatrosses disappear, that is a monster amount of cap room. But the team can manage easily even if those two are still around.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Hutson is a tough one to read. He has a high ceiling but he comes with major volatility too. I look forward to seeing it all unfold.

Vulnerability is overstated. Players with vulnerabilities are not the #1D of the US team at the WJC or in the top 4 in their sophomore season in the NCAA. And we already saw some NHL action where he didn't seem out of place defensively. Yes he made some rookie mistakes, he will for the next 3 years, we better get used to it because we'll see a lot of him in the meantime (price of getting a #1D like Fox/Hughes)

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think he sees guys coming but goes all Josh Gorges. Makes the play but thinks he’s made of rubber. Not strong enough to reverse hit nhlers yet either. I agree playing rhd has to be part of it for sure.

He does seem to be a father figure to these kids being both a hockey dad and agent on top.

edit wait is that a Gallagher / Berg reference?
Yes 😁

Guhle is better than Nurse I think.
Easily

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
How fast everyone forgot the team friendly 2nd contracts signed by Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher… #noplayerleverage

There's little reason to doubt that Hughes can't attract some good UFA when the time is right.

Unlike our previous regime, Hughes is establishing a winning culture and making Montreal a fun place to play. There's a buzz around the organization and other players are noticing.

We won't need to blame it on taxes to defend this management group. At the very least they should be able to attract some decent players like Gainey was able to do.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Problem is we had a GM that had these nice contracts and a 3rd overall pick and couldn’t manage to build anything remotely resembling a contender. Heck forget contender, he couldn’t even build a team that was simply fun to watch. Even the 2023-24 Canadiens provided more on-ice excitement than those Bergevin teams.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pretty much exactly what I expected. I’m not sure what posters were expecting Guhle to be paid, 6-7m per year? That would’ve been an overpayment imo. I like this deal.
I like the deal, but Guhle is very valuable, above and beyond his numbers. But it remains to be seen if he can stay healthy and what kind of dman he will be. He's tall, but not that heavy.

Problem is we had a GM that had these nice contracts and a 3rd overall pick and couldn’t manage to build anything remotely resembling a contender. Heck forget contender, he couldn’t even build a team that was simply fun to watch. Even the 2023-24 Canadiens provided more on-ice excitement than those Bergevin teams.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. MB was trying to break a record for the most grinders on a team to win a cup - or at least make the playoffs and see what happens. I think that was his idea of exciting to watch. It drove me bananas.

Reactions: le_sean

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I like the deal, but Guhle is very valuable, above and beyond his numbers. But it remains to be seen if he can stay healthy and what kind of dman he will be. He's tall, but not that heavy.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. MB was trying to break a record for the most grinders on a team to win a cup - or at least make the playoffs and see what happens. I think that was his idea of exciting to watch. It drove me bananas.
Valuable above and beyond his numbers eh? Sounds like wishful thinking. People talk about him as if he’s already become what they would like him to become. He’s not there yet, hence the 6 year deal at 5.5.
Still a very good asset imo, but more of a 2nd pairing guy than a #1. He doesn’t have the upside of a number 1 either imo.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well if Guhle was looking for $8M AAV on 7- 8 years then $5.5M on 6 is great. Mind you Guhle should not be getting $8M , even projecting out based on current play. If they didn't agree to the $5.5 I would have done a bridge. Hughes did did good and Guhle got a fair deal.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yup. Going into 25-26 season and rounding for easier math:

Suz-CC-Slaf =24M
Dach-Newhook-Demidov = 7M
Roy-X-X= 1M**
Beck-Gally-Andy = 13M
13F 14F =2M Total forward = 46M

(** two open spots to be filled by trade/UFA)

Math-Guhle = 10M
Hutson-Rein = 2M
AX-Barron = 3M
Struble = 1M Total D = 16M

Monty-Primo = 4M

That's 66M, cap will probably be 90M, so there's 24M to get two top 9 F, maybe a vet D and that's even with Gallagher and Anderson soaking up 12M. Now if Hughes can make both of those albatrosses disappear, that is a monster amount of cap room. But the team can manage easily even if those two are still around.

There's maybe space for 1 good player at 8-12m, the rest are salary increases.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Valuable above and beyond his numbers eh? Sounds like wishful thinking. People talk about as if he’s already become what they would like him to become. He’s not there yet, hence the 6 year deal at 5.6.
Still a very good asset imo, but more of a 2nd pairing guy than a #1. He doesn’t have the upside of a number 1 either imo.
I see Guhle becoming our version of Esa Lindell...just a solid, all-around dependable Dman, but not a top pairing guy.

Lindell's a very very good dman, so not like that's insulting either.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Good price for a #3.

If he becomes more than that, a win for the Habs.

He’s struggled a bit with injuries so he’s happy to bank the big contract now.

win-win

Kent sniping those D contracts.
1722515866735.jpeg

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Well if Guhle was looking for $8M AAV on 7- 8 years then $5.5M on 6 is great. Mind you Guhle should not be getting $8M , even projecting out based on current play. If they didn't agree to the $5.5 I would have done a bridge. Hughes did did good and Guhle got a fair deal.

I don't think he was looking for $8M, kind of don't make any sense.
Maybe more around 6.8M-7.3M on a 8 years was probably their target but no way he could have asked more than Slaf/Caufield/Suzuki.

Ad

Ad

Ad