Confirmed with Link: 6 year extension for Kaiden Guhle (5.5m AAV)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Molson had to go just as much as Bergevin. They were a tandem and a terrible one at that. I’ve been a little bit impressed with Molson the last few years. He hired a real president finally and he seems to be letting them do their jobs. I was curious to see if he’d actually be willing to be patient without trying to step on toes and it seems like he is.
How many years ago was it that I said Molson the CEO should fire Molson the President. :laugh:
What a disaster not having a buffer between "the Clown to the left of us and the Joker to the right."

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Sleep in : check
Morning coffee: check
Another great signing by HuGO : Check

Great way to start my day lol
I don't know if it will be enough to win a championship but Damn HuGo is putting together a core group of very very likeable players.

He played 70 games last year...
Actually 80 with the World Championships.
HFHabs where Patrik Laine is not injury prone but Kaiden Guhle is. :laugh:

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's all in the ascent. The real trick is sticking the landing. We'll see.

I made the decision to not be a party pooper any more because we simply don't know, so why not look at the bright side until things shake out a bit more?

It also helps that Hughes made decisions that seem to be objectively ideal/optimal (including his wise decision to not sign any of the garbage overpaid UFAs this year).

I think this is exactly the right approach. I think a lot of people just enjoyed picking a side and sticking to it no matter what (i.e. now that Bergevin, who could do no right, is gone, Hughes, who can do wrong, is the best).

I like what HuGo have done since taking over the team but I'm not a Sens fan. There's nothing to brag about until the Canadiens do literally anything. The first 2-3 years should be the easy part for management. Now it's time to go out and improve for real.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I don't know if it will be enough to win a championship but Damn HuGo is putting together a core group of very very likable players.

Actually 80 with the World Championships.
HFHabs where Patrik Laine is not injury prone but Kaiden Guhle is. :laugh:
I honestly don't know either. But yeah, having so many likeable players. Does make watching the rough patches, much more enjoyable.

lol we are a goofy bunch. Which is probably why I luv the majority of you so much.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Excellent extension.

KH is meticulously setting this roster up for a big run.

Future is bright 😎
If you think about it it sends a message to all his other young Dmen.
Perform and gain our trust and this will be in your future too regardless if you have term left on your contract or not.
It's super motivation for Barron Xhekaj Reinbacher Mailloux Hutson and Engblom to all have strong seasons.
The beauty of it is we aren't going to be eating much if anything on the back end of these deals.
Hughes paints from the corners in as opposed to our predecessor who did the exact opposite.

Last edited:

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I don't hate it. Was ready to whine if it were a 8x7.5 (or more) deal similar to Sanderson

Eats 2 UFA years, in line with when we can expect this core to peak (and hopefully contend) since Cole and Nick will both be grandpas when this deal ends.

Why people expect him to get 7m+? He did nothing (yet) to prove he is worth 7.5m or more in the NHL. He also have multiple injury. 5.5 m for 6 years is a great contract for him.

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
6zeve8L.gif

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The different thing about Hughes compared to previous management is that he has an MO, a direction he tries to stick to. One is signing younger guys to deals that could backfire but could also be gold, depending on how the player develops.

Not surprised with this deal. I feel it's definitely fair and could even be great.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
This indeed. We need Rein and/or Hutson to transcend him. While we are at it, I think Mailloux can hit Guhle level, which will be the perfect scenario.
Reinbacher yes

I don’t see Hutson being more important than Guhle. More spectacular/offensive production yes but Guhle is gonna be more important/effective especially during the playoffs

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
It's funny because this is a key reason why the Leafs are in such a cap bind. They weren't able to get their young core to buy into an internal cap which has limited their ability to build an effective core. It was vital to avoid that situation here.
Also can't be understated how nice the Leafs have been to illustrate so clearly how disastrous it is when the core is overpaid. Must be really helpful to have a counter example during the negociations.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
They're building a culture here, and more guys buy in the more easier it gets to manage future contracts
Like in the corporate world, lots of people talk about culture, but most don't know what it really is, how it forms, and how to change it. They use it as a buzz-word/slogan to sound smart.

I'm glad Hugues and MSL understand it.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He just needs to learn how to keep his head up and not get hit so much
I wonder if a small part of some of the injuries is simply due to having a young team trying to learn the pro game but also trying to do too much (for certain players). Especially when considering the young D. The team D was bad, so they didn’t always have good support. Maybe a combination of these things resulted in some injuries?

Ad

Ad

Ad