OT: 58th Obsequious Banter Thread - Something Something Leier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Sadly, I will probably pay for a 64GB/128GB Pixel 2 XL when it comes out. I'm betting for all of that, that it could be 850+. I need a new phone badly and stock Android/directly from Google phones are hard to not have after having a Nexus phone.

I have a Pixel now. Great phone, I love it. And guess what, it doesn't have a home button!

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
How is Overwatch not relevant competitively? Just because it's not on the same level as LoL?

I only know what I've heard from people involved with the competitive Overwatch scene, but it appears as if Blizzard doesn't really know what they're doing and that the game isn't "esport ready". So it seems like Blizzard is doing a lot of big things with a game that might not be able to support this much being built around it.

On top of that I see a lot of complaints that the game is just too hectic to enjoyably watch, and I definitely understand that. It's just a rainbow tornado of colors and movement to the spectator.

Regardless of how ready it is or not, these are the types of things I'd expect to see out of a firmly established game, League, Dota, CSGO, etc. not one that's just starting out with a very unclear future.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I have a Pixel now. Great phone, I love it. And guess what, it doesn't have a home button!

Love my Pixel, took me maybe a month to adjust to no physical home button. The camera is great too.

Probably a dumb question but I don't know a ton about buying phones:

I'm very interested in the Pixel, but I have AT&T...is that a problem? If so/not, where can I get a Pixel? I usually only get phones when I'm due for an upgrade through AT&T, and I'm not sure Pixel's are eligible for that program. How much did you guys pay for it? (you can ballpark it if you'd prefer)

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I'm not sure if you can get it through at&t or not. I have Verizon. As far as price, I got mine this past Christmas and they had a special. With the new way they are charging, I pay $10 a month for 2 years. I only have the 32 though. My brother got the larger one and his is $15/month. Pretty sure they are coming out with the Pixel 2 soon.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I will never be able to wrap my head around E-Sports being a spectator event.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But, why....?

Anyone can play a video game. You can play it yourself instead of watching.

I don't get it :laugh:

You can play hockey yourself, instead of watching. But you watch because seeing the best 0.1% of people in the world do it is a whole different world than what you could ever hope to achieve when playing.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
But, why....?

Take League of Legends. I both play it (ranked, low though, I'm old with no time) but marvel at some of the engages and whatnot teams can pull off and execute in a complete storm of activity.

Same reason I watch baseball. The matchups, the pitching, strategy, etc. There was a great match in League the other day wherein one team had a strong early game composition and the other team a late game composition.

The early team needs to close out early and they dominated everything early. Then it started to shift as the early game team couldn't close it out. The late game team started to win all the battles, so they (early team) sent one player sneaking through the forest (it's dark) and by luck happened to miss all the vision wards (which would have made the backdoor noticed) and won the game. Was exciting.

Plus, some of the streamers are really amazing and funny (like Nightblue3). He always stays so positive regardless of how things are going.

Once you get a good grasp of the game, it's pretty bonkers what the pros can do. Thresh is one of the best designed champions and a great Thresh outplay is fantastic.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I will never be able to wrap my head around E-Sports being a spectator event.

I won't either, but I started thinking about it one time and I got the feeling that, while it is so not for me, it is just something so "new school" (in a way) that I just sort of missed it by being born too early and don't "get it" - I have the feeling that it is fine and not worthy of my hate (which, as you know, is utterly inexhaustible). I think the idea of it seems so ridiculous, but there's probably nothing actually wrong with it. At the end of the day, I can avoid it if I want to, so if other people are enjoying it, they can just carry on with their bad selves.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Indoor lacrosse is coming back to Philly YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!! I want the Wings name back and this is perfect!!!

Now if they could just bring the MISL back :cry: I have never stopped missing that league, at least as constituted from like 1978-1985. It was the bomb. The atom bomb. The St. Louis Steamers were the only hometown team I have ever loved, and the Steam Heat dancers ... there are no words.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

I'm going to really try for the Pixel XL for the replacement of my Nexus 6P. Apparently, with the one reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/com...op_rma_thread/

Anyone in NA with a 64GB 6P (like me and have bought from the Google Play Store) have been getting brand new 128GB Pixel XL phones. Not everyone, but when they do replace them. We'll see.

My Nexus Protect is good until the end of the month.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
E-Sports is crazy. It's really starting to take off. CSN Philly was broadcasting a Rocket League tournament a few weeks back, obviously you have the super huge followings of games like League of Legends, Star Craft, Halo, DOTA, etc. And now youre starting to see the professional sports leagues/teams making statements about jumping into the E-Sports scene for their individual sports. Theres bars starting to pop up that are totally dedicated to E-Sports, job opportunities for broadcasters, media personalities and the like.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
But, why....?

I can play, but I can still probably never be as good of some of the current professionals in the world. There still is a skill cap that requires years of effort and dedication to even scratch at, even if it doesn't really involve much in the way of bodily training.

Also, like any good modern sport, games like LoL, CS, Dota, etc. are just dripping with juicy narratives and emotion.

for example:

The International 2016 in KeyArena [Seattle] during one of the greatest comebacks in competitive Dota history.

Last edited:

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Fair enough. Thanks for the responses.

Not my cup of tea, but have at it! I did watch a Netflix documentary on it a few months back to see if I could see what made it engaging, but I still came away perplexed on why it's popular. I'm 32, so maybe I just missed the boat?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

Not my cup of tea, but have at it! I did watch a Netflix documentary on it a few months back to see if I could see what made it engaging, but I still came away perplexed on why it's popular. I'm 32, so maybe I just missed the boat?

If you haven't played the games you are watching it would be really hard to find it engaging unless its something very simple like Rocket League. It's hard to appreciate how hard some of the things these guys do without trying it yourself.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
E-Sports is crazy. It's really starting to take off. CSN Philly was broadcasting a Rocket League tournament a few weeks back, obviously you have the super huge followings of games like League of Legends, Star Craft, Halo, DOTA, etc. And now youre starting to see the professional sports leagues/teams making statements about jumping into the E-Sports scene for their individual sports. Theres bars starting to pop up that are totally dedicated to E-Sports, job opportunities for broadcasters, media personalities and the like.

Colleges are starting to form e-sports teams as well. Delaware has multiple tournament teams that go around against other schools. Its a club here, but I have seen some schools giving scholarships for e-sports (it was on Outside the Lines a few years ago)

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

I think with a lot of these games [League of Legends, Dota, etc.] there is just a huge barrier to casual viewing because the mechanics aren't relatable to anything in the real world. That's probably why you struggle because there isn't really anything that you can directly relate to without having actually played.

It's why third and first-person shooters [gun-based games] are already so popular because almost everyone can instantly understand the stakes of something resembling military combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad