Post-Game Talk: #46 Rangers @ Panthers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
My thought process after the game: Well, I suppose after 3 incredible games, 1 loss might not send everyone over the edge. The most I'll hear is people calling for Torts head after that world class dumb goalie-pull.

After opening the post game thread: Huh. These boards have thinner skin than Chris Rooney.

Seriously, this place is becoming more miserable every day.

This was a bad loss after a few really good wins. Such is the NHL.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
He is a very streaky player. That's his M.O. It'll take 1 big moment for him to start rolling and then he'll be a very dangerous player.

He has 3 goals - 2 his very first game, when he looked good, and one gift-wrapped for him by Ryan Miller. So far, he's mostly been Taylor Pyatt.

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
Glad I'm not the only one that realizes how fickle this board is. I mean seriously, I saw a mod put Callahan's status as captain in quotes as if the guy doesn't bleed for this team. Yeah, he had a bad game at a bad time, but show me a player that's never had a bad game in his career.

This board never ceases to amaze me.

tjs252

Feb 10, 2007
Only player that stood out to me was Moore. I also don't think it's possible for a "good" player to play worse than Callahan did tonight. I'm not even sure what he was doing on the PK in the third. He was aimlessly chasing. Directly led to the second goal.

I'd expect an enormous showing from him in Carolina. A player like him can't play that poorly in all aspects and not rebound.

Also, Richards continues to play well. That's encouraging.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He has 3 goals - 2 his very first game, when he looked good, and one gift-wrapped for him by Ryan Miller.

Clowe is actually very effective at working the puck along the boards, keeping possession and turning and making a pass back to center. Even when he's not having a great game he does a lot of good things. I see similarities between him and Dubinsky to be honest.

On another note, anyone else want to see Nash back with Stepan? At even strength him and Stepan work so well together. Even though we were winning with these lines , I think Nash should be back with Stepan. I want to see:

Hags-Steps-Nash
Clowe-Richards-Zuccs
Pyatt-Brassard-Cally
Kreider-Powe-Asham

Well, actually I'd like to see Kreider on Brassard's line, but we know it's not going to happen so there's no point in even putting him there. Then when Boyle comes back he takes Pyatt's spot, Pyatt slots down to Kreider's spot. If Dorsett can go, he supplants Asham.

At the very least, reunite Hags-Steps-Nash while keeping the other lines the same (Cally with Brass and Clowe).

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
And if Torts would have kept Hank in the mother****ing net we would be playing in OT right now.

I can't believe we lost on an empty net goal. They scored twice, we scored twice. And yet here we are with a loss. It feels so fake.

That's why you don't pull the goalie on the PP unless the remaining PP time > Time on the clock.

EN goal is a game winner, what a joke.

The EN goal only turned out to be the game winner because the Panthers had a 2-goal lead in the final minute and didn't play hard defensively. If it was still 2-1, the Panthers would've played much more aggressive defense and there likely would not have been a 2nd Ranger goal.

Simple situational dynamics. You can't rearrange events just to argue a point.

Torts did the right thing pulling HL to go 6-on-4 in the PP. That's what most coaches do at that point in a game, especially if they're not offensive juggernauts.

Still, the burden is on WPG, and they'll likely fall short anyway. Rangers still have a decent shot at 6th or 7th, not just 8th.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The EN goal only turned out to be the game winner because the Panthers had a 2-goal lead in the final minute and didn't play hard defensively. If it was still 2-1, the Panthers would've played much more aggressive defense and there likely would not have been a 2nd Ranger goal.

Simple situational dynamics. You can't rearrange events just to argue a point.

Torts did the right thing pulling HL to go 6-on-4 in the PP. That's what most coaches do at that point in the game.

Still, the burden is on WPG, and they'll likely fall short anyway. Rangers still have a decent shot at 6th or 7th, not just 8th.

Even still, with only 20 something seconds left on the PP, Torts should've waited to pull the goalie. We'd still have 1:20 or so time left to pull him after the PP expired. The Panthers aren't going to shoot for the empty net with a risk of icing. See if we can set up on the PP and get something to go, if not, when the PP runs out, then pull Hank.

Most coaches pull the goalie to go 6-4 with less time left, seeing as they're already on the PP. All it takes is for the D to break up a pass and they can shoot at the empty net from wherever.

If there were less time left in regulation than was left on the PP then, obviously you pull the goalie to go up 6-4 because you're going to be on the PP for the rest of the game, you have no choice. Here there was a choice and while he was close, he was premature on pulling Hank.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Glad I'm not the only one that realizes how fickle this board is. I mean seriously, I saw a mod put Callahan's status as captain in quotes as if the guy doesn't bleed for this team. Yeah, he had a bad game at a bad time, but show me a player that's never had a bad game in his career.

I mean, I get it, Cally was terrible tonight. Whiffed on 3 really good scoring chances. Nevermind that he's in the middle a 5 game point scoring streak that has him contributing 3 goals and 4 assists, he was bad tonight and that's all people are going to talk about.

He's been streaky this season. He was Godahan last game, and he's the "bad captain" this game. That's the same treatment this entire team gets. Girardi is Iron Man one moment, and terribad the next. We're 7-3-1 since the deadline, and we're also a last place team with anyone bud Lundqvist.

You learn to be selective with whose opinions you take seriously.

Wolfy*

Well I look at it this way. With a win tonight we would've clinched a playoff spot, something it all comes down to. We only had to beat the weakest team in the league.

But we just couldn't do it :facepalm:

It's simply laughable, this board is frustrated for a good reason.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I mean, I get it, Cally was terrible tonight. Whiffed on 3 really good scoring chances. Nevermind that he's in the middle a 5 game point scoring streak that has him contributing 3 goals and 4 assists, he was bad tonight and that's all people are going to talk about.

He's been streaky this season. He was Godahan last game, and he's the "bad captain" this game. That's the same treatment this entire team gets. Girardi is Iron Man one moment, and terribad the next. We're 7-3-1 since the deadline, and we're also a last place team with anyone bud Lundqvist.

You learn to be selective with whose opinions you take seriously.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to pick out the cliff jumpers. I don't even fault them, they're just running high on emotion and react accordingly. Doesn't necessarily make them worse fans or anything.

Bottom line is we're all Rangers fans, we all want the same thing: for the Rangers to win.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010

The problem with Cally this season has been his incredible inconsistency (in my opinion).

One game, we see Ryan Callahan the all star.
The next game, we see Ryan Callahan the fringe AHL'er.
We've even been treated to "Ryan Callahan the aspiring actor" this season, something that should be seen as exceptionally unbecoming for a player, and absolutely unheard of for a Captain.

So in my opinion, while Cally is a great player when he is on the top of his game, he has been seriously inconsistent (one could claim this goes for the team in general).

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Even still, with only 20 something seconds left on the PP, Torts should've waited to pull the goalie. We'd still have 1:20 or so time left to pull him after the PP expired. The Panthers aren't going to shoot for the empty net with a risk of icing. See if we can set up on the PP and get something to go, if not, when the PP runs out, then pull Hank.

Most coaches pull the goalie to go 6-4 with less time left, seeing as they're already on the PP. All it takes is for the D to break up a pass and they can shoot at the empty net from wherever.

If there were less time left in regulation than was left on the PP then, obviously you pull the goalie to go up 6-4 because you're going to be on the PP for the rest of the game, you have no choice. Here there was a choice and while he was close, he was premature on pulling Hank.

Eh. I'm a big proponent of pulling the goalie once there's less than 1:50 left (even better on the PP)---especially when you have a great defensive team--which the Rangers are. When that goalie is out, even teams with average defense kick it up defensively because they know that net is wide open. It's a major adrenaline tidal wave for the team that's trailing at that point and a reasonable gamble. Torts did the right thing.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Eh. I'm a big proponent of pulling the goalie once there's less than 1:50 left---especially when you have a great defensive team--which the Rangers are.

What does defense mean when you're in the other team's zone with 6 forwards on the ice? Especially when those 6 forwards aren't even setting up. Pulling the goalie as early as you say, to me, should only be done when down by 2 or more. Pull him with 1:20 or less when down by 1, it really depends on the situation.

In this particular situation, you don't look at the remaining time, you wait for the 20 seconds to tick off the PP clock so you don't get scored on your empty net and go down by 2 essentially losing the game with a minute and a half left. Then when the PP runs out, you pull Hank because now you have a 6-5 advantage and Florida can't shoot for the empty net. That's how it should be done. If there's 30 seconds left in the game, yeah go on the 6-4 pp because it's all you have. But when you have the option, you should wait, especially when after the PP ends, you will have 1:20 left with a pulled goalie.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
For all you people saying this board is over-reacting to this loss, you are out of their mind. We lost to what is essentially an AHL team tonight. Yeah we've won some games, but on a night where we could potentially clinch a playoff spot, you would like to see this team come out and play their ass off and bury a bad team in the first period. They lack that killer instinct on most nights, which is what pisses me off the most. Sometimes when they don't have it, Hank bails them out. He cant do it every night. Losing isn't what upsets me, its their lack of killer instinct that does.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
For all you people saying this board is over-reacting to this loss, you are out of their mind. We lost to what is essentially an AHL team tonight. Yeah we've won some games, but on a night where we could potentially clinch a playoff spot, you would like to see this team come out and play their ass off and bury a bad team in the first period. They lack that killer instinct on most nights, which is what pisses me off the most. Sometimes when they don't have it, Hank bails them out. He cant do it every night. Losing isn't what upsets me, its their lack of killer instinct that does.

OH, we're plenty upset. This was an unacceptable loss, that could potentially cost them huge.

The difference is that our perception of the team takes more than one game to change. If Hagelin makes one incredible shot, that doesn't make him a sniper. We win 4 in a row, it doesn't make us cup contenders. We lose a key game, it doesn't make us uninspired or chokers.

This isn't even a full season, and we're talking about a team we, honestly, don't know all that well. It's all very reactionary, and terribly unscientific.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
What does defense mean when you're in the other team's zone with 6 forwards on the ice? Especially when those 6 forwards aren't even setting up. Pulling the goalie as early as you say, to me, should only be done when down by 2 or more. Pull him with 1:20 or less when down by 1, it really depends on the situation.

In this particular situation, you don't look at the remaining time, you wait for the 20 seconds to tick off the PP clock so you don't get scored on your empty net and go down by 2 essentially losing the game with a minute and a half left. Then when the PP runs out, you pull Hank because now you have a 6-5 advantage and Florida can't shoot for the empty net. That's how it should be done. If there's 30 seconds left in the game, yeah go on the 6-4 pp because it's all you have. But when you have the option, you should wait, especially when after the PP ends, you will have 1:20 left with a pulled goalie.

I think Torts rightly figured this team needed time with a 2-man advantage to get the tying goal. If it was the Penguins, your plan would have made perfect sense.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
Inexcusable lack of urgency and effort tonight. Stupid spread of ice time......28:00 for Girardi and 3:40 for Kreider and Asham. 5:00 for Powe. Poetic justice would be a loss in Carolina and the Devils knocking us out on Saturday. Not hoping for it, but fearing it.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
OH, we're plenty upset. This was an unacceptable loss, that could potentially cost them huge.

The difference is that our perception of the team takes more than one game to change. If Hagelin makes one incredible shot, that doesn't make him a sniper. We win 4 in a row, it doesn't make us cup contenders. We lose a key game, it doesn't make us uninspired or chokers.

This isn't even a full season, and we're talking about a team we, honestly, don't know all that well. It's all very reactionary, and terribly unscientific.

My perception of this team hasn't changed because of this loss either. They are a tough hockey team to beat when they play their game for 60 minutes. Ihe only problem is they haven't done that on a consistent basis this year. I don't think this one loss makes them a bad hockey team. Its the NHL, you are going to lose games.

My main point was that people are going to be pissed and upset about this loss, and they have a right to be. I dont get why people are shocked at the anger on this board. It was a bad loss to a bad hockey team. Thats all I was saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad