Post-Game Talk: #46 Rangers @ Panthers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Top minutes for Florida went to Huberdeau, Fleischman, Kuba, Weaver,Goc, Campbell, Petrovic and Markstrom, a rookie, in net.

They couldn't beat those guys, people really think the Cup is even a possibility?

Petrovic, 2010 2nd rounder.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
I often let Callahan's horrible decision making (in every single zone) slide because he was out there busting his ass, hitting everything that moved and blocking shot after shot. He would also backcheck hard enough that he could make up for his mistakes (which he actually did once tonight).

He simply hasn't done the things that made him an "all-star grinder" in the past, and he's been easily this years most disappointing player.

Hmmmmm. Interesting.

*Bob Richards*

God, this makes me sound like such a bad fan and I'll apologize in advance, but sometimes I doubt everything so much, that the only thing keeping me interested in a playoff berth is our lack of a 1st.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
It'd be easier to forgive and forget Richie's penalty if our PK-ers didn't decide to go full Pejorative Slur while trying to clear the puck

Championship*

SAME. OLD. RANGERS. anybody who didn't see this one coming down broadway raise your hand, I got a bridge to sell ya. Lucky, that Winnipeg didn't win tonight, doesn't even BEGIN to describe it.

The Panthers.

I'm going to say that again.

THE. PANTHERS.

THE. WORST. TEAM. IN. THE. LEAGUE.

don't care how many shots they put up. In fact, it makes sense and i've just been waiting on it.

Did the Rangers score goals one week? Next week, NO GOALS!!!!!

Our only hope is to back into the playoffs at this point.

Championship*

God, this makes me sound like such a bad fan and I'll apologize in advance, but sometimes I doubt everything so much, that the only thing keeping me interested in a playoff berth is our lack of a 1st.

You and me both.

I mean, nobody really thinks the Rangers are going to do anything this post season, right?

That's what floors me about the "I want to play the bruins" or "i want to play X" crowd.

The Rangers aren't winning the cup this year. It doesn't matter who they play.

Our only motivation for making the playoffs is to not give columbus a lottery pick.

Kershaw

Not a bad fan if you're being realistic. Seeing the flaws of a team instead of blindly loving everything about them makes you a better fan in my books. And I agree with you, the only thing that keeps me interested is to prevent CBJ with a low pick.

*Bob Richards*

You guys are ridiculous. If you get in, you have a chance.

I know and that keeps me going too, because I don't want to write anything off but I won't lie. I find myself sitting down in my little introspective moments and thinking to myself, is playing Pittsburgh and losing in a miserable 5 game series really that much better than missing the playoffs?

I'd say yes, but barely if at all. It'd be one thing if we had some bite and tenacity a la Islanders/Winnipeg but we don't.

The thing is, I can see that Pittsburgh series now. Lose Games 1 and 2 in frustrating fashion, win Game 3 in an ugly late game win, and then lose the next two. lol

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Not a bad fan if you're being realistic. Seeing the flaws of a team instead of blindly loving everything about them makes you a better fan in my books. And I agree with you, the only thing that keeps me interested is to prevent CBJ with a low pick.

Like nobody is realistic. Everyone gets way way too low after every lost and marginally too high after each win. Everyone gets overly concerned with bounces and the score and neglects the process. Sometimes you play well and win. Sometimes you play well and lose. Doesn't make the second game any worse than the first. If you won every time you played well there would be no point in playing the game since we know the result. Bringing back the poker analogy it's like getting AA in pre vs KK. Even though you're in much better shape you still only win 80% of the time. Things happen. Sometimes the puck bounces the wrong way. Sometimes you don't get those huge saves out of your goalie. Sometimes the other goalie just plays great. Sometimes you hit a bunch of posts or just miss wide etc..

Additionally there is so much parity in the league that even in a 1 vs. 8 matchup the 8 seed is still going to be expected to win somewhat often. It's hard to find odds for all games but when we played Pittsburgh on april 5th the line was Pittsburgh -124 (taking out vig). Say Crosby will be back maybe you want to make it -140 (just making that up). -140 equates to a 58% chance to win a given game and an 80% chance to win the 7 game series (for the favorite of course). If you straight up use the -124 that was the odds last time that equates to 55% chance to win a given game or 70% chance to win the 7 game series. If you doubt the numbers I listed above then I guess you might as well start becoming a professional sports bettor because clearly you are better than the oddsmaker and can make it rich easily (not going to happen).

I try to just be rational and logical after each game regardless of the outcome. As I said before I think in general we played a pretty good game with a few exceptions: Callahan was completely inept at handling the puck, our PK repeatedly was unable to clear the zone, and our PP was typically useless. But for the majority of the remaining ~50 minutes of 5 on 5 we completely dominated the entire game.

Last edited:

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
funny how in Tortorella's post game conference he blamed the penalty kill for not being able to clear the puck, but didn't mention the crappy powerplay (against the worst penalty kill in league) that cost us yet another game. How long has he been here? powerplay gets worse and worse

Championship*

Like nobody is realistic. Everyone gets way way too low after every lost and marginally too high after each win. Everyone gets overly concerned with bounces and the score and neglects the process. Sometimes you play well and win. Sometimes you play well and lose. Doesn't make the second game any worse than the first. If you won every time you played well there would be no point in playing the game since we know the result. Bringing back the poker analogy it's like getting AA in pre vs KK. Even though you're in much better shape you still only win 80% of the time. Things happen. Sometimes the puck bounces the wrong way. Sometimes you don't get those huge saves out of your goalie. Sometimes the other goalie just plays great. Sometimes you hit a bunch of posts or just miss wide etc..

I try to just be rational and logical after each game regardless of the outcome. As I said before I think in general we played a pretty good game with a few exceptions: Callahan was completely inept at handling the puck, our PK repeatedly was unable to clear the zone, and our PP was typically useless. But for the majority of the remaining ~50 minutes of 5 on 5 we completely dominated the entire game.

It's great that we dominated the game. That domination didn't lead to a score that reflected that.

Playoffs on the line. Lost to THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

A good team locks this down. Good teams win the games they need to.

The Rangers should ask the Islanders for tips.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
funny how in Tortorella's post game conference he blamed the penalty kill for not being able to clear the puck, but didn't mention the crappy powerplay (against the worst penalty kill in league) that cost us yet another game. How long has he been here? powerplay gets worse and worse

Torts doesn't care/bother with the PP.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I know and that keeps me going too, because I don't want to write anything off but I won't lie. I find myself sitting down in my little introspective moments and thinking to myself, is playing Pittsburgh and losing in a miserable 5 game series really that much better than missing the playoffs?

I'd say yes, but barely if at all. It'd be one thing if we had some bite and tenacity a la Islanders/Winnipeg but we don't.

The thing is, I can see that Pittsburgh series now. Lose Games 1 and 2 in frustrating fashion, win Game 3 in an ugly late game win, and then lose the next two. lol

If it gives me another two weeks of frustrating Rangers hockey, I'll take it. I love the team, nothing worse then the season being over before May, with 5 months until the next game.

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
I had zero expectations for Richards because he sucked last year (contrary to what this board thinks).

So yes, it's definitely Callahan for me.

I agree about Richards, but thats what makes this all sad. Shouldn't we have high expectations we pay a guy 8 million dollars per to??? Thats why the problem for this team was and will be baby Dolan and his boy Sather. Just hand out terrible contracts to players who come to broadway to cash paychecks and nothing else. Mediocre has been the word of the day for the last 13 plus years.

Kershaw

Yes, I agree with what you're saying.

I do think the team played well enough to win, but again, no puckluck.

I'm writing this season off as a failure because we failed to bring the cup to New York. As a fan of the team that made it to game 6 of the ECF last year and supposedly added the missing piece, this is beyond frustrating to take in. We are essentially back in time to the 2009-10 season where we are building around one winger as our offense (Gaborik).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad