Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He's going to play in the NHL
That can mean a lot of things. Just once? A long time? At what level? Hopefully he can carve out a role where he is more than a sheltered back up power play guy otherwise I’m not sure how long he will be able to play in the NHL. I am rooting for him and like his mindset so I think he has a chance to prove the critics wrong.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Carving out a career like Samuel Girard's or Gostisbehere's to me is a reasonable hope. You also want to have guys on your bottom pair that can step up on special teams in case of injury beyond just serving on the 2nd unit. It's also especially interesting to me the idea that he could play forward in a pinch, he might become sort of a super-utility player like in a baseball lineup, but that's starting to get into more outlandish projections.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Sometimes i’m surprised that the expectations for Casey are so low. Is it really a size thing? I don’t know that i agree that similar players are out of favor in the current NHL.

I also think we’re hedging way too much on Casey’s ceiling. He outscored Frank Nazar from the same team/same draft class and put up 27 more points than the next highest scoring defenseman at Michigan as a 19yo. A third-pairing defenseman should be the expectation, not some lofty best-case projection.

EDIT: I’m just gonna delete a particular comparison ahead of time because basically saying Seamus Casey COULD win a norris trophy someday is probably and rightly gonna get me roasted.

But i still think a Torey Krug/Sam Girard sort of career is a pretty likely scenario for Casey.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Sometimes i’m surprised that the expectations for Casey are so low. Is it really a size thing? I don’t know that i agree that similar players are out of favor in the current NHL.

I also think we’re hedging way too much on Casey’s ceiling. He outscored Frank Nazar from the same team/same draft class and put up 27 more points than the next highest scoring defenseman at Michigan as a 19yo. A third-pairing defenseman should be the expectation, not some lofty best-case projection.

EDIT: I’m just gonna delete a particular comparison ahead of time because basically saying Seamus Casey COULD win a norris trophy someday is probably and rightly gonna get me roasted.

But i still think a Torey Krug/Sam Girard sort of career is a pretty likely scenario for Casey.

I think the issue is given Casey's size and specialty, there's just a lot of different outcomes - yeah, sure, there's Karlsson and Makar who are Hall of Famers, but then there's guys like Gostisbehere and Barrie who were once reasonably highly thought of but dropped off fairly quick, especially when they got put on PP2. Gostishebere had a 56 point season and signed a 3 year/3.2M AAV deal - that's what a third-pairing D signs. Barrie's just a year removed from a 55 point season and is without a contract as we near September.

I do think the sky's the limit for Casey but if he misses that even a little bit, he could just be a 2nd pairing/3rd pairing type guy who bounces around the league.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I do think the sky's the limit for Casey but if he misses that even a little bit, he could just be a 2nd pairing/3rd pairing type guy who bounces around the league.
i think that’s extremely likely, but i actually feel like (and maybe i’m just misreading the general attitude of the board here) that’s a much more optimistic projection than what i usually see around here.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
i think that’s extremely likely, but i actually feel like (and maybe i’m just misreading the general attitude of the board here) that’s a much more optimistic projection than what i usually see around here.
Well if Hutson goes first in a redraft you figure Casey goes second.

• Love
Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
That can mean a lot of things. Just once? A long time? At what level? Hopefully he can carve out a role where he is more than a sheltered back up power play guy otherwise I’m not sure how long he will be able to play in the NHL. I am rooting for him and like his mindset so I think he has a chance to prove the critics wrong.

As a lawyer you know better than to make specific recommendations

My3Sons

Sponsor
As a lawyer you know better than to make specific recommendations
Be as specific as you want just add the appropriate disclaimer. Nobody is going to give you grief for hoping for a player’s success or suggesting you see a specific ceiling. I want to hear from good posters like you who watch a player and have some thoughts on what they saw.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I think I don't see some of those posts, but I think you might be conflating Casey's projection with the fact that literally every trade proposal on this board includes Casey, and that's going to get people talking about how they think Casey won't be any good, etc.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I absolutely love Casey. He has amazing IQ, smart defensivly, elusive, great play making skills. He is a treat to watch and has Top 4 talent
IMO his talent speaks to 2/3 potential, but i think Casey’s peak is gonna come down to facets of his game that are harder to predict. His offense and puck moving are exceptional, but his ceiling is gonna be determined by how well he can defend and withstand the physical game.

But then again Adam Fox doesn’t really do either of those and he won a Norris so… :sarcasm:

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Be as specific as you want just add the appropriate disclaimer. Nobody is going to give you grief for hoping for a player’s success or suggesting you see a specific ceiling. I want to hear from good posters like you who watch a player and have some thoughts on what they saw.

Just a lawyer joke :) our corporate lawyers never give a firm opinion

Well I like his speed and intelligence. He makes plays on both sides of the ice and skates well. He has elite skills, so I can see him overcoming size as players with intelligence and elite skills have done before

My3Sons

Sponsor
Just a lawyer joke :) our corporate lawyers never give a firm opinion

Well I like his speed and intelligence. He makes plays on both sides of the ice and skates well. He has elite skills, so I can see him overcoming size as players with intelligence and elite skills have done before
We are trained to make suggestions based on currently available information and a whole host of other qualifiers. I can write a mean opinion letter if I choose to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad