Post-Game Talk: #43: Flyers at Red Wings, Sunday, January 17, 2016

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Craig Berube.

When we were away from home he was incapable of line-matching... Hakstol can do what real bench bosses do and get his 1st or 2nd favoured match-up on at least half the time even with 1st change.

Hakstol has said that he doesn't worry about line matching that much at this stage, but just wants to make sure all 4 lines are playing with their rhythm.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hakstol has said that he doesn't worry about line matching that much at this stage, but just wants to make sure all 4 lines are playing with their rhythm.

Well, it would seem that his 'not worrying about it much' still means assigning at least option A & B to play against certain lines.

Couturier faces the opponents best lines more than he did last year this season (and that is not the opposition coaches plan!) and if Couturier is not against them Giroux almost certainly is. Both our top lines are combining for tougher QoC that last season

I don't think he is one of those guy who is super anal about getting his specific line vs line match-up though and in turns hamstrings himself with it... but instead generally happy so long as he 'option A or B' are against the guys he wants them to be most of the time.

Last edited:

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
detroit gets away with murder!! glad gudas jumped in when medvedev was getting ****ing choked out! thought he was gonna snap and slug a ref.

The pbp guy must've thought that too. Actually I don't know what he was thinking. Twice he mentioned thinking Gudas might get something. For what?? Skating too fast towards the scrum and looking mad? What a wuss. Sounds like the type of spineless worm who crosses the street constantly when he sees strangers coming.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Well, it would seem that his 'not worrying about it much' still means assigning at least option A & B to play against certain lines.

Couturier faces the opponents best lines more than he did last year this season (and that is not the opposition coaches plan!) and if Couturier is not against them Giroux almost certainly is. Both our top lines are combining for tougher QoC that last season

I don't think he is one of those guy who is super anal about getting his specific line vs line match-up though and in turns hamstrings himself with it... but instead generally happy so long as he 'option A or B' are against the guys he wants them to be most of the time.

Yeah well it helps when your top 2 C are Giroux and Couturier*. no bad matchup for them

edited

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Back in the 1988-89 season, Murray Craven scored the winning goal at Detroit in the game's last few seconds and then was mauled by a Red Wings' player named Miroslav Frycer who got a 10-game suspension as a result of a match penalty.

The nullified goal last night in the last second of regulation was without direct comparison but did offer a similarity in a potential last minute win. After that game, Craven said "my eye was pushed back in the socket" which could have been one of the many severe eye injuries the team had suffered over the years.

Instead, a dramatic breakaway goal by Murray Craven with just 13 seconds remaining helped blow away some of the gathering clouds around the Flyers as they defeated the Red Wings, 4-3, at the Joe Louis Arena.

Craven wasn't around to enjoy the relief of victory, however. Just before he shot the puck for the winning goal, he was hooked around the left eye by Detroit's Miroslav Frycer.

Source link: http://articles.philly.com/1988-11-...coach-paul-holmgren-brian-propp-murray-craven

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
taped game, just finished watching....never seen such bull**** reffing! wtf was that??

detroit gets away with murder!! glad gudas jumped in when medvedev was getting ****ing choked out! thought he was gonna snap and slug a ref.

ghost gets ****ing crosschecked in the teeth, goes down and gets mugged on the ice, then big bad det player talks **** to him, like ghost was diving? **** off!!

bull**** all night long. det players just couldnt believe it when they actually got called. including the blatant ****.

so amazed and happy v scored to win it. suck it refs. suck it red wings.

Pretty much. That game was oddly chippy. But Detroit was annoying as ****. Datsuyk was clearly holding Gudas' arm. Kyle Quincy is not a tough guy and Gudas would have killed Zetterberg.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
A kid in the Detroit thread was whining that Simmonds is a dirty player who just goes around trying to injure and will end up like Torres :laugh:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It wasn't that bad. Type of hit that should be allowed but due to lawyers and wusses, is no longer allowed.

They gave Farnham 4 for that garbage so White better get under 3.

I disagree. It was a predatory hit on an unsuspecting opponent and the head was the principal point of contact. These are the hits on which the NHL needs to crack down and reduce significantly from the game. We may miss the ol' Rock 'em Sock 'em Hockey videos, but too much is known about the severe and chronic effects of concussions to turn a blind eye.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He shouldered him in the jaw, there's a reason it's not allowed. How about someone takes a running jump into your head and we'll see who's the "wussy".

Last edited by a moderator:

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
I disagree. It was a predatory hit on an unsuspecting opponent and the head was the principal point of contact. These are the hits on which the NHL needs to crack down and reduce significantly from the game. We may miss the ol' Rock 'em Sock 'em Hockey videos, but too much is known about the severe and chronic effects of concussions to turn a blind eye.

News flash, just about all hits are predatory to some degree. Few hits are delivered where somebody doesn't mean to hit the target.

The hit was a tad bit late so I'm fine with some kind of discipline (I believe the match penalty was enough but in today's world he will get more).

I'm positive the microanylysis's of the world will surf through camera angles and go frame by frame till they find the one angle and frame that shows some kind of contact with the head, and then howl with delight as they hand wriggle in anticipation of another suspension but the fact is the puck carrier just released the puck, White didnt chicken wing him, didn't leap off the ice in Raffl Torres fashion and simply didn't deliever that terrible of a check.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
White was an idiot, he could have gone through the body and delivered a vicious, but clean, check and made his point, he jumped into the hit.

White really hasn't impressed me this year, people got excited over one month last year, but like most players, he's regressed to his "norm," which is a mediocre 4th line winger.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
White was an idiot, he could have gone through the body and delivered a vicious, but clean, check and made his point, he jumped into the hit.

White really hasn't impressed me this year, people got excited over one month last year, but like most players, he's regressed to his "norm," which is a mediocre 4th line winger.

This. It's not the fact that White's hit wasn't "bad", it's that all he had to do was adjust his body slightly and it would have been fine.

And yeah, White has looked particularly mediocre this year.

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
Pretty much. That game was oddly chippy. But Detroit was annoying as ****. Datsuyk was clearly holding Gudas' arm. Kyle Quincy is not a tough guy and Gudas would have killed Zetterberg.

Yes this was a very annoying game to watch. Detroit was getting away with a lot while we got a lot of bull**** calls against us.

Regarding Quincy, anyone remember Couturier dropping the mitts with him last year? I guess someone had to be a tough guy for Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00