World Cup: 4 Nations Tournament- Team USA (2025)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Fine with him on Wing because he sucks at Faceoffs, but leaving him off entirely would be hilariously stupid and some extreme overreaction. He's at 1.2 PPG since 2022-23.

If he were to be left off it would have nothing to do with his PPG. It would be his style of play and the roles they want to have on the team. I don't think they'll actually leave him off the team (he'd have to be playing really poorly for an extended period or be injured), but people are going to be surprised when they don't take all the smaller offensive guys they think they should.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If he were to be left off it would have nothing to do with his PPG. It would be his style of play and the roles they want to have on the team. I don't think they'll actually leave him off the team (he'd have to be playing really poorly for an extended period or be injured), but people are going to be surprised when they don't take all the smaller offensive guys they think they should.
Sure but there's a big difference between Jack Hughes and say, Cole Caufield.

USA did leave Phil Kessel off the 24 and Overs Team in 2016, so I guess you can never discount potential idiocy.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Sure but there's a big difference between Jack Hughes and say, Cole Caufield.

USA did leave Phil Kessel off the 24 and Overs Team in 2016, so I guess you can never discount potential idiocy.

Oh for sure, but it's not also just Hughes vs Caufield. A guy like Guentzel is in the same consideration group and he's safer to be on the team than Hughes. They're going to take a few smaller offensive guys, but I can already envision the endless whining that the team won't have all of Hughes, Keller, Guentzel, Caufield, Debrincat, etc.

I'd be shocked if Hughes didn't make it, but USAH would be stupid to leave behind top centers just because Hughes plays a hybrid center role. Hughes would do better here in a complimentary winger role.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Oh for sure, but it's not also just Hughes vs Caufield. A guy like Guentzel is in the same consideration group and he's safer to be on the team than Hughes. They're going to take a few smaller offensive guys, but I can already envision the endless whining that the team won't have all of Hughes, Keller, Guentzel, Caufield, Debrincat, etc.

I'd be shocked if Hughes didn't make it, but USAH would be stupid to leave behind top centers just because Hughes plays a hybrid center role. Hughes would do better here in a complimentary winger role.
I'd be OK if some or all those guys were left off

Reactions: William H Bonney

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
They should leave Kane off and have Hughes play his role as a playmaking wing on one of the top two lines. For me, the four centers are Matthews, Eichel, Miller, and Trocheck. I do think Larkin makes the team as well as Miller can also play wing. Might even see Thompson. Good problem to have.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

RD is loaded, but Faber looks like he's going to force his way onto this team this year. Helps that Guerin is the GM, of course.

If he's not a lock already (he should be), he's got to be close. He's got size, elite IQ, and he's already one of the elite 200-foot defenseman in the NHL. Very similar to Doughty when he made Team Canada for the 2010 Olympics and played a huge role.

Reactions: mphmiles

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
They should leave Kane off and have Hughes play his role as a playmaking wing on one of the top two lines. For me, the four centers are Matthews, Eichel, Miller, and Trocheck. I do think Larkin makes the team as well as Miller can also play wing. Might even see Thompson as well. Good problem to have.

Agreed. I think they want Kane to make it, and it'd be hard to leave him off if he's producing given how he shows up in big moments, but he's not at this point. Hurts his chances too that we have an abundance of smaller, highly skilled offensive players to pick from for a few spots.

Miller is a lock. Trocheck should be there for his versatility. Larkin should be there too. I'd take at least 1 more center beyond those guys that you'd feel comfortable taking a regular center shift as well.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Boeser
Boldy
Caufield
Connor
DeBrincat
Eichel
Guentzel
Hughes
Kane
Keller
Kreider
Larkin
Matthews
Miller
Nelson
Robertson
Schmaltz
Thompson
M. Tkachuck
B. Tkachuck
Trocheck
Tuch

22 Forwards by my count, these are the ones I'd put "in the hunt", I'd build your 13 out of this group.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Agreed. I think they want Kane to make it, and it'd be hard to leave him off if he's producing given how he shows up in big moments, but he's not at this point. Hurts his chances too that we have an abundance of smaller, highly skilled offensive players to pick from for a few spots.

Miller is a lock. Trocheck should be there for his versatility. Larkin should be there too. I'd take at least 1 more center beyond those guys that you'd feel comfortable taking a regular center shift as well.
I agree that they would like to name Kane. There's time for him to get going, but I don't think he's best on best worthy at this point though. Another guy that may be a shock exclusion is Connor. A guy that may be a shock add is Tuch. He's big, tough, skilled, and produces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad