30 Years of Canadian Franchises Losing in the Cup Final

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
NY Rangers (1st overall) vs. Vancouver Canucks (14th overall)
Result: US franchise wins in 7 games

Tampa Bay Lightning (2nd overall) vs. Calgary Flames (12th overall)

Carolina Hurricanes (3rd overall) vs. Edmonton Oilers (14th overall)

Anaheim Ducks (3rd overall) vs. Ottawa Senators (8th overall)
Result: US franchise wins in 5 games

Vancouver Canucks (1st overall) vs. Boston Bruins (7th overall)

Tampa Bay Lightning (8th overall) vs. Montreal Canadiens (18th overall)
Result: US franchise wins in 5 games

Florida Panthers (4th overall) vs. Edmonton Oilers (9th overall)

You'll notice a pattern here...

So, the past 7 times a Canadian franchise has made it to the Cup Finals, it lost. And in five of those seven times, it lost in game 7.

Maybe the case of 2021 Tampa - Montreal, you'd expect the stronger team to win... which it did, in 5 games. But I'd say in all the other six cases, the Canadian franchise had at least a good chance (obviously, as five of six went to 7 games). Yes, the Canadian franchise lost every single one. That's 7 in a row, people. SEVEN in a row.

Is this the inevitable result of bringing in an NBA guy to run a growing league that sells a Canadian-shaped sport as well as free-agent preference for warmer weather and lower taxes? Or, are all seven in a row somehow easily explicable?

Anaheim was a much better team than Ottawa in 2007. Sens were basically carried by the Pizza Line. No depth at all and you aren't winning any cups with Wade Redden as your #1 defensemen.

Reactions: torontoblood

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
lower taxes
I've made many posts about this topic on the main board. Yes, generally speaking, tax rates are lower in the US than in Canada, but I don't see it as a huge difference because:
  1. "Jock taxes" - some places tax athletes based on the games played in that jurisdiction, which helps to normalize the tax rates across teams.
  2. Tax planning - some players can use various strategies to lower their tax burden. It appears that Auston Matthews, for example, pays substantially less in tax than most of his Toronto teammates, due to how he's structured his affairs.
  3. RCA - this is a tool that can help high income Canadians (including professional athletes) defer their taxes. (In fact, it's so powerful that the NBA has banned Toronto Raptors players from using it).
  4. Rate differences - the tax rates vary in each state and province. For example, rates for higher-tax US teams (ie Kings, Sharks, Ducks, Rangers, Islanders) aren't very different for lower-tax Canadian teams (ie Oilers, Flames).
I know this is a tangent, and I'm not suggesting that you're doing this, but I've seen a lot of people on the main boards dramatically exaggerate the difference in tax rates.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
There's currently 25 US-based teams and 7 Canadian-based teams. So, even if everything was equal, we shouldn't necessarily expect a big number of Cups by Canadian teams.

I have no doubt that players generally preferring to play for US-based teams is a factor, but the question is how big of a factor? I suspect it's somewhat of a small factor.

Canadian-based teams are still able to build good hockey teams. Imagine if Edmonton had drafted a little better over the past several years - they could've had a couple more impact players at low cost.

And I'm sure there are several US-based teams for which players generally prefer not to play for either.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Of course there are plenty of good Canadian-based clubs over any period of time. However, I still think there is starting to be an evident competitive disadvantage for Canadian franchises, as 7 consecutive Finals' losses suggests.

In the salary cap-era, the advantage of any one club over another is so small that ease of things like ability to sign free-agents can tip the scales in one team's favor. And that's not tipping it in Canadian clubs' favor....

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Of course there are plenty of good Canadian-based clubs over any period of time. However, I still think there is starting to be an evident competitive disadvantage for Canadian franchises, as 7 consecutive Finals' losses suggests.

In the salary cap-era, the advantage of any one club over another is so small that ease of things like ability to sign free-agents can tip the scales in one team's favor. And that's not tipping it in Canadian clubs' favor....
I think that the general preference of players to play for US-based teams is a factor (even more so with an increasing number of American players in the NHL), but I don't think the 7 consecutive losses in the Finals is the best way to study it.

And there are other factors that give (some) advantages - everything else being equal - to some teams over other teams.

So, any study should consider all the factors.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Humans as a species are exceptionally good at identifying “patterns” in random data.
I think we're long passed the point of random data, or statistical noise. Likely something that started out the way (especially with the period beginning long after a period of a bunch of Canadian teams winning Cups with Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary collectively accounting for 8 out of 10 Cups from 1984-1993) but likely did morph into a "thing" (probably especially so the case post-salary cap). 30 straight tries though, when there are a good number of Canadian teams has a bunch of factors, but pure randomness alone wouldn't account for it.

Probability of Canadian NHL Teams Winning the Stanley Cup​

The calculated probability for the number of Stanley Cups Canadian NHL teams should have collectively won over the past 30 seasons is set forth below. There was a higher chance, based on weighted probability that Canadian teams would have won 15 cups, than 0 Cups. 6-7 Cups would have been the modal outcome.
  • Probability for 0 Stanley Cups: 0.0005
  • Probability for 1 Stanley Cup: 0.0042
  • Probability for 2 Stanley Cups: 0.0176
  • Probability for 3 Stanley Cups: 0.0477
  • Probability for 4 Stanley Cups: 0.0934
  • Probability for 5 Stanley Cups: 0.1407
  • Probability for 6 Stanley Cups: 0.17
  • Probability for 7 Stanley Cups: 0.169
  • Probability for 8 Stanley Cups: 0.1408
  • Probability for 9 Stanley Cups: 0.0998
  • Probability for 10 Stanley Cups: 0.0607
  • Probability for 11 Stanley Cups: 0.032
  • Probability for 12 Stanley Cups: 0.0147
  • Probability for 13 Stanley Cups: 0.0059
  • Probability for 14 Stanley Cups: 0.0021
  • Probability for 15 Stanley Cups: 0.0006
  • Probability for 16 Stanley Cups: 0.0002
  • Probability for 17-30 Stanley Cups: 0.0

Reactions: MadLuke

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I think we're long passed the point of random data, or statistical noise. Likely something that started out the way (especially with the period beginning long after a period of a bunch of Canadian teams winning Cups with Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary collectively accounting for 8 out of 10 Cups from 1984-1993) but likely did morph into a "thing" (probably especially so the case post-salary cap). 30 straight tries though, when there are a good number of Canadian teams has a bunch of factors, but pure randomness alone wouldn't account for it.

The calculated probability for the number of Stanley Cups Canadian NHL teams should have collectively won over the past 30 seasons is set forth below. There was a higher chance, based on weighted probability that Canadian teams would have won 15 cups, than 0 Cups. 6-7 Cups would have been the modal outcome.
Well, no. You are obviously assuming here that all teams are equally likely to win the cup, but in what world was an Arizona or Montreal winning a cup with the same likelihood as Tampa or Boston? "7 losses" means nothing if most of the finalists were Cinderellas that had no business being a finalist in the first place.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Well, no. You are obviously assuming here that all teams are equally likely to win the cup, but in what world was an Arizona or Montreal winning a cup with the same likelihood as Tampa or Boston? "7 losses" means nothing if most of the finalists were Cinderellas that had no business being a finalist in the first place.
I think you missed my point, lol.

Reactions: MadLuke

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005

Thanks for providing those numbers, as I was curious what the odds were. But I still don't see it as something outside the realm of reasonable probability.

Everyone knows that the seven Canadian teams have not won a Cup in the last 30 years. But neither has Philadelphia, or Buffalo, or the Islanders, or San Jose. The Coyotes should be there too as they've been based in the U.S. for 27 of those 30 years. Nashville, Columbus and Minnesota have been around over 20 years and not won a Cup yet. I'm guessing the odds of none of those teams winning a Cup would be as high as none of the Canadian teams winning. It just happens like that sometimes.

The probability of Canadian teams winning 0 Stanley Cups of 0.0005 works out to about 2000-to-1. Sounds highly unlikely. Then again, the odds of Buffalo missing the playoffs 13 years in a row are over 8000-to-1, yet it happened.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The probability of Canadian teams winning 0 Stanley Cups of 0.0005 works out to about 2000-to-1. Sounds highly unlikely. Then again, the odds of Buffalo missing the playoffs 13 years in a row are over 8000-to-1, yet it happened.
The odd of a team missing the playoffs 13 years in a row are much higher than Buffalo in particular doing it (not sure if it is 100 time higher or something, but much higher and I think that the better way to look at a team missing the playoff 13 time in a row, any would have do for your example), but also this is the odds if everything being equal and bad management, high tax or cold Buffalo weather do not exist. Would there be a significant difference between Buffalo or Canada in power to attract player.

They are a short walk from Canada in one of the very well taxed jurisdiction of the world for a rich person, according to this:

Single person at 7.5m start at 52.15% effective tax rates (not marginal, effective) before the tricks.

The coyotes are not a team that spend to the cap some years, they are far from odds as anyone else to win type, Canadians team spend to the max about every year, 2000-1 events do happen that is true, but that completely fair to assume this is not the case here, that a factor exist.

That Pronger did not stay in Edmonton for reasons that are inherent to some Canadian city could be true and that those same reason make it harder for Calgary-Edmonton-Winnipeg to win it than a California or Florida team. The Nordiques lefts for a reason (and without those would have had a good chance to win a cup in Canada), so did the Jets.

Vancouver is one of the most beautiful place, Toronto is the meca of hockey with tons of resource that got one of the biggest FA in the cap era if not the biggest, those 2 not winning are just a mix of things happen and Vancouver could very well win it soon and got close, the Leafs could win next year. Those 2 have probably way better odds to win a cup in the next 20 years than many US cities.

Montreal is probably an average destination, that was just not specially well run since Savard and a lot of the old brain left, when the dollars was low they did seem to cut spending a bit (Recchi-Damphousse for prospect-picks move could be seen as saving some) so it could have been a factor. But we can easily point to some decision that have nothing to do with their location of why they were not in the mix for long period of time, Koivu-Price injury and Roy/Turgeon mismanagement were not about being in Canada (I would guess the Leaf would be in that boat, just do not know as much about them).

Not that it would move the numbers a lot but was this made with some Nordiques leave in 1995, Jets in 1996 and return in 2011

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The odd of a team missing the playoffs 13 years in a row are much higher than Buffalo doing it (not sure if it is 100 time higher or something, but much higher), but also this is the odds if everything being equal and bad management, high tax or cold Buffalo weather do not exist. Would there be a significant difference between Buffalo or Canada in power to attract player.

They are a short walk from Canada in one of the very well taxed jurisdiction of the world for a rich person, according to this:

Single person at 7.5m start at 52.15% effective tax rates (not marginal, effective) before the tricks.

The coyotes are not a team that spend to the cap some years, they are far from odds as anyone else to win type, Canadians team spend to the max about every year, 2000-1 events do happen that is true, but that completely fair to assume this is not the case here, that a factor exist.

That Pronger did not stay in Edmonton for reasons that are inherent to some Canadian city could be true and that those same reason make it harder for Calgary-Edmonton-Winnipeg to win it than a California or Florida team. The Nordiques lefts for a reason (and without those would have had a good chance to win a cup in Canada), so did the Jets.

Vancouver is one of the most beautiful place, Toronto is the meca of hockey with tons of resource that got one of the biggest FA in the cap era if not the biggest, those 2 not winning are just a mix of things happen and Vancouver could very well win it soon and got close, the Leafs could win next year. Those 2 have probably way better odds to win a cup in the next 20 years than many US cities.

Montreal is probably an average destination, that was just not specially well run since Savard and a lot of the old brain left, when the dollars was low they did seem to cut spending a bit (Recchi-Damphousse for prospect-picks move could be seen as saving some) so it could have been a factor. But we can easily point to some decision that have nothing to do with their location of why they were not in the mix for long period of time, Koivu-Price injury and Roy/Turgeon mismanagement were not about being in Canada (I would guess the Leaf would be in that boat, just do not know as much about them).

Not that it would move the numbers a lot but was this made with some Nordiques leave in 1995, Jets in 1996 and return in 2011

Before the bergevin era, I don't think Montreal had much problem retaining ufas that they wanted to retain.

Perhaps an exception is souray but he had unique circumstances. Things didn't work out for souray that summer either. Regardless the Habs immediately replaced him on the ufa market with Roman hamrlik.

It's the external marquee ufas where they struggle. The biggest external ufa name they lured was prime Mike cammalleri which isn't a huge brand name.

Last edited:

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
445588514_997818955135188_427577432833543517_n.jpg

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yeah it’s waited probability based on number of Canadian teams per year, which ranges from 6-8, relative to the total number of teams.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
OK so the Leafs are the richest NHL franchise (as of 2023) worth $2.8 billion with a huge fanbase. The Canadiens are 3rd and the Oilers are 7th.

You'd think the NHL would want the Leafs to win a cup?

FYI the Panthers are 4th LAST

NHL franchise value by team 2023 | Statista.

I think the leafs are a matured cash cow but not alot of room for growth compared to large American markets.

If the NHL wants to make a significant breakthrough, their dream would be to somehow tap into those large American markets and turn them into mightier cash cows too.

To be clear, I'm not saying the nhl is rigging games. I'm just saying that this would be their dream.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I've made many posts about this topic on the main board. Yes, generally speaking, tax rates are lower in the US than in Canada, but I don't see it as a huge difference because:
  1. "Jock taxes" - some places tax athletes based on the games played in that jurisdiction, which helps to normalize the tax rates across teams.
  2. Tax planning - some players can use various strategies to lower their tax burden. It appears that Auston Matthews, for example, pays substantially less in tax than most of his Toronto teammates, due to how he's structured his affairs.
  3. RCA - this is a tool that can help high income Canadians (including professional athletes) defer their taxes. (In fact, it's so powerful that the NBA has banned Toronto Raptors players from using it).
  4. Rate differences - the tax rates vary in each state and province. For example, rates for higher-tax US teams (ie Kings, Sharks, Ducks, Rangers, Islanders) aren't very different for lower-tax Canadian teams (ie Oilers, Flames).
I know this is a tangent, and I'm not suggesting that you're doing this, but I've seen a lot of people on the main boards dramatically exaggerate the difference in tax rates.

I agree that this factor has been exaggerated. I mean, it's not a non-issue but I think generally speaking, the intensity of the canadian markets and lack of privacy are even bigger detriments.

Anyways, I look at these as excuses more than anything. Yes there are certain challenges, but making sound management decisions for the big picture and hitting on draft picks are things that will have the biggest impact on cup prospects.

Last edited:

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
also, it's pretty rare that a top free agent becomes a key cog on a stanley cup winning team. i'm hard pressed to think of any since hossa in chicago and chara in boston. + probably the biggest free agent signing of the last few years was tavares in toronto. i imagine that this tax stuff isn't make-or-break for a lot of players even if there is some credence to it. and even then it doesn't come close to explaining why canadian teams haven't won the cup in 30 years. which has a lot more to do with random chance and a bit of mismanagement.

somebody mentioned that canadian teams won almost every cup between 1984 and 93... well edmonton, calgary and montreal were also the top 3 regular season teams in that span. in the last 30 years cumulatively the top canadian teams by points% are toronto and vancouver at 14th and 15th... i wouldn't expect them to win any cups with the kinds of teams they've been icing. vancouver in the early 2010s was really the only time a canadian team was a sustained contender in that span.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
also, it's pretty rare that a top free agent becomes a key cog on a stanley cup winning team. i'm hard pressed to think of any since hossa in chicago and chara in boston. + probably the biggest free agent signing of the last few years was tavares in toronto. i imagine that this tax stuff isn't make-or-break for a lot of players even if there is some credence to it. and even then it doesn't come close to explaining why canadian teams haven't won the cup in 30 years. which has a lot more to do with random chance and a bit of mismanagement.
It depend how extensive we talk about it, if we include player accepting to never become free agents or became and stayed with their teams, now it would be quite common I think.

Without free agency, maybe Nordiques stay, maybe they win.

Sakic was not a fully free agents I think, but him not leaving was a big reason the Avs won a second cup, would a non Toronto Canadian team paid or lost him ?
Fedorov not leaving the Wings, Ducks winning with Pronger, Dallas with Hull-Belfour those 2 where 2 great FA singing directly linked to the 1999 cup.

How to describe those 2002 wings, in the cap era made it rarer and more complicated, but the ability to keep them at good price seem easier in Florida than Chicago and higher, but that just an impression.

But it would match the general population if true and match common sense that California-Florida are quite nice place to live if you have the choice and will not live in the city you grew up anyway (and will travel by plane making distance from it a bit irrelevant), preference:
  • Florida, Texas and North Carolina are the country’s top three states for net migration, Millennials favor the South, with Texas, Georgia and Florida
Who around say 2000 would have predicted (with climate change and other talk) that south would be that popular versus the north in the mids 2020s, making prediction about stuff like that even short range timeline seem nearly impossible and could reverse.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
In 2005, Ron Wilson said that a Canadian team will never win the cup again. It was such a hyperbolic statement, but so prescient in hindsight...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad