Proposal: 3-way trade between CGY, TOR, WSH

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
A rare 3-way trade that might work out for all teams IMO.

Toronto receives:
Andrew Mangiapane (5,8M x1yr UFA)
Rasmus Andersson (4,6M x2yr UFA)
Caps 1st 2026

Washington receives:
Mitch Marner (10,903 x1yr UFA)

Calgary receives:
Connor McMichael (2,1M x2yr RFA)
Timothy Liljegren (3,0M x2yr RFA)

This is just an atrocious trade for the Calgary Flames. Not only do they trade a very valuable asset for ten cents on the dollar, but they also somehow take on more money in the trade.

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
I have now revised the trade after hearing your thoughts, i do appreciate constructive feedback instead of slanter. Do people expect Andersson to re-sign in CGY with the Weegar extension? Is Weegar no1 or Andersson?

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
This is just an atrocious trade for the Calgary Flames. Not only do they trade a very valuable asset for ten cents on the dollar, but they also somehow take on more money in the trade.
Sorry, I've changed the proposal now, but that money the take on (500k) is offset by sending down someone to the minors as they get two players for basically the same money.

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
Caps can just wait 9 months to try and sign Marner for free.

Caps haven't moved substantial futures for many years now, there's no reason to start now.
I actually think it's time for them to sort things out with the youth coming in. This offseason sped up their rebuild a lot and they will be one of the teams to beat in the east with Marner on as well. Marner is in the same agegroup as Strome, Dubois, Chychrun, Wilson, Roy who will be the core moving forward after next year. Wilson and maybe Vrana/Carlson (if they re-sign) will be the only ones left from when they won the cup in 2018. They now have center depth but they dont have that go-to pointproducing forward.

so, OP is a Leafs fan?
I'm actually a Caps fan but didnt want to be a "homer", I've changed the deal after reading everyones opinions.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Haggins is a player they can build around. It’s all but guaranteed Washington’s 1st is a top 5 pick. I think this is terrible for Washington and meh for Toronto.
Highly, highly doubt that Washington ends up as one of the 5 worst teams in the NHL. Just off the top of my head San Jose, Montreal, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Philly are worse.

Reactions: MW6

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Lots of moving parts, more than one of which is a pending UFA or has one more year. Not easy to figure out value. Many of these guys are ready to move on from one city to another, without trades.

Except, of course, everything that Washington is giving up. From the Caps' point of view, they are trading away a good young forward who is now breaking out and has his whole career ahead of him, in McMichael, along with a first round pick that figures to be in the range of 13th to 18th overall. That is a lot of value in quality futures.

In exchange, they pick up a guy who is a pending UFA, who they have no reason to think wants to re-up with them. That is completely insane.

If your trade is predicated on the idea of such and such a player re-signing, as part of the deal, then say so in the original proposal. Otherwise, it's a roll of the dice for a guy whose contract is about to expire.

The Caps aren't even that good. They're making the second round, at best. Why are they acting like buyers? This is nonsense. This is a retool/rebuild that hasn't finished, not by a long shot.

Reactions: Random schmoe

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
Contingent
Lots of moving parts, more than one of which is a pending UFA or has one more year. Not easy to figure out value. Many of these guys are ready to move on from one city to another, without trades.

Except, of course, everything that Washington is giving up. From the Caps' point of view, they are trading away a good young forward who is now breaking out and has his whole career ahead of him, in McMichael, along with a first round pick that figures to be in the range of 13th to 18th overall. That is a lot of value in quality futures.

In exchange, they pick up a guy who is a pending UFA, who they have no reason to think wants to re-up with them. That is completely insane.

If your trade is predicated on the idea of such and such a player re-signing, as part of the deal, then say so in the original proposal. Otherwise, it's a roll of the dice for a guy whose contract is about to expire.

The Caps aren't even that good. They're making the second round, at best. Why are they acting like buyers? This is nonsense. This is a retool/rebuild that hasn't finished, not by a long shot.
Fair point regarding the extensions, i'll add that in the proposal.

Regarding the Caps, I think you're sleeping on where they are in the rebuild. Next year Backstrom and Oshie come off the books, that's 14,95M. The year after that it's Ovie and Carlson which is another 17,5M. I think they've made it clear they aren't in a "selling off" rebuild which means they have to go get the pieces they want instead of going the draft-route. Marner fits perfect in line with what they've been doing lately. Buying low on players in his age. Strome, Milano, Dubois, Chychrun, Mangiapane, Vrana have in total cost them a whopping Nick Jensen, a 2nd, a 3rd and Darcy Kuemper. Marner is a level above those, a 100 pt-player isnt available very often and he wouldn't be availible if he wasn't on his last year of his contract. Caps are deep down the middle right now with both McMichael and Protas playing on the wing. They'll also have Mirosnichenko and Leonard on the roster on ELC's at the start of next year at the latest.

Ovechkin-Strome-Marner
Protas-Dubois-Wilson
Mirosnichenko-Lapierre-Leonard
Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I actually think it's time for them to sort things out with the youth coming in. This offseason sped up their rebuild a lot and they will be one of the teams to beat in the east with Marner on as well. Marner is in the same agegroup as Strome, Dubois, Chychrun, Wilson, Roy who will be the core moving forward after next year. Wilson and maybe Vrana/Carlson (if they re-sign) will be the only ones left from when they won the cup in 2018. They now have center depth but they dont have that go-to pointproducing forward.

I'm actually a Caps fan but didnt want to be a "homer", I've changed the deal after reading everyone’s opinions

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary gets f***ed in this deal.
Nah, it’s fine if the pick is not protected

Lottery pick, a decent young center and a young dman is ok for Andersson. Not great but it is not shit. How much more do you think they can get for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad