GDT: #3 | Flyers at Oilers | Tuesday, October 15, 2024 | 10:00 PM Celsius Time | ESPN

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Interested to see their goalie decisions over the next week.

Ersson obviously gives them a better chance to win, but with Kolosov waiting in the shadows, you gotta play Fedotov to see what you have. They also cannot run Sam into the ground again

I think Fedotov likely gets the net tomorrow.
oh Torts will 100% run Sam into the ground..

Reactions: bennysflyers16

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
A top 6 center and a top 4 LHD would make this a much better team.
It would make every team a much better team.
Opposing ES TOI with Luchanko on ice:
Ekholm 7:07/Bouchard 6:40
McDavid 5:31
Draisaitl 5:24
Stecher 4:55/Nurse 4:12
Hyman 4:19
Brown 3:52
Henrique 3:48
Kulak 3:22
Podkolzin 3:19
Perry 3:16
This doesn't really mean anything, other than McDavid and Draisaitl play more at even strength in general. It's just the ES distribution minutes of EDM's forwards in general.

What do you want Jett to be , Laughton or Schiefele ?

Torts and Danny are so excited to make him another Laughton
More like another Justin Bailey.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
What don't you like about it and what do your prefer? It generated a pretty dangerous chance :dunno:.
I don't mind a box on a 5v3, it can work fine. I'd prefer 3 around the net, and staggered defense...Their issue last year was how spread out the box was. There was only one play to be made, to the center.

Most defensive 5v3 structures are designed to protect the middle of the ice, obviously. They are really passive in that they don't push out or chase once the PP is setup -- they sit in their triangle.

In order to open up seams, offensive teams will tighten up around the triangle and to get defenders to engage them directly. Once they get them to engage, a seam opens up, and can be exploited.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Tippett made some nice passes, he's actually a better passer than advertised, I think like TK, his lack of hockey IQ means he's better in "run and gun" situations than "half court" where you have to see the ice and anticipate the passing lanes.
TK does not lack hockey IQ. At least not nearly to the degree that Tippet does.
If Luchanko can hold his own, he'll develop faster at the NHL level (simply more resources in practice, and the focus will be on him), but not if he's overwhelmed. Which is why the coming homestand will make that decision for them.
We should be developing 18 year old in the NHL now? Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think one reason Zamula will get the benefit of the doubt is Michkov, but next season Michkov's English should be good enough that Zamula will have to earn his job.

Tippett made some nice passes, he's actually a better passer than advertised, I think like TK, his lack of hockey IQ means he's better in "run and gun" situations than "half court" where you have to see the ice and anticipate the passing lanes. The drive when he deked through two defenders and got his shot past Skinner (I think it went off the post) was awesome. And I like using him on the PK where he can play an aggressive style and force Sh scoring opportunities.

If Seeler isn't back, I can see Andrae getting a start against Seattle. Probably didn't want him paired with Drysdale against Edmonton.

If Luchanko can hold his own, he'll develop faster at the NHL level (simply more resources in practice, and the focus will be on him), but not if he's overwhelmed. Which is why the coming homestand will make that decision for them.

You said, repeatedly, for years, that the NHL is not a development league and players must do all their development in the AHL, and that it is therefore good that young players stew in the AHL indefinitely while veterans decline and degrade in what should be their NHL spots.

You also insisted that it was good that Frost was kept down needlessly because he never dominated the AHL, and thus is not an NHL player. We saw how that worked out, but Luchanko has never dominated any level.

So, what's up? Were you wrong for years? Or do you just make up whatever standard is needed to defend team choices?

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
- i didnt watched a lot the last 2 years. But when Poehling was that bad the last 2 years ive no idea how he is still a flyer. He was very bad that game. Lost a lot of pucks and was out of place a lot of times.

- Foerster was slow and invisible

- Couts is slow as f*** and max a 3rd line center these days. Why the f*** did he start fighting now? Its stupid!!

- Tippett is a sprinter without a brain. the most one trick pony ive seen in a long while. I give him that he is very good in creating this chances but i dont see him converting this things ofter enough in the future. And he isnt doing anything else for the team

- Michkov is doing great, although everyone can see that he still isnt 100% arrived in the NHL. But that is totally fine. Scoring nearly 3 goals without being arrived is f***ing impressive! Not gonna lie!

- Sanheim had a not so good game. Was outright bad in a few situations.

- Drysdale was whole lot better this game. Hopefully he can build on that!

- Laughts invisible. What did he do for us? Lockeroom presence i guess

- I believed in Ersson more than most other people around here. His problem was his low lows. He was so bad on bad days that he wasnt even an AHL Goalie. If he can stop being that bad on bad days i can see him being a solid starter in this league! Like his demeanor and his style of play.

- Frost is our 1. line Center. And that is not a good sign. I said years ago that Frost maybe can be a 2nd line center on a contender and i still think that way. But he cant be your best Center.

- Luchanko is a nice piece. But in my eyes its too early for him. But we all know why he is up with the big club! So nothing to discuss over this.

- Konecny had one of his bad games in my eyes. Sure he was unlucky in a few instances, but after that he tried too hard and wasnt his normal self. I dont liked his game this time. Nevertheless is he our best player!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You said, repeatedly, for years, that the NHL is not a development league and players must do all their development in the AHL, and that it is therefore good that young players stew in the AHL indefinitely while veterans decline and degrade in what should be their NHL spots.

You also insisted that it was good that Frost was kept down needlessly because he never dominated the AHL, and thus is not an NHL player. We saw how that worked out, but Luchanko has never dominated any level.

So, what's up? Were you wrong for years? Or do you just make up whatever standard is needed to defend team choices?
If Luchanko could go to the AHL it would be ideal (which is what some European prospects have done at 18-19). Watching him, he's probably too advanced for the CHL.

So it's a tough call, but one he'll make through his play.

Right now he hasn't shown enough to either keep or send down, that is, he's shown he can handle the NHL physically and mentally, but he hasn't shown enough that keeping him is a no-brainer.

But this is two games on a West Coast road trip, let's see how he fares in the 6 game homestand.

PS: Luchanko at 18 looks more NHL ready than Frost did at 20.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I get the feeling the Flyers don't really think Andrae is NHL material. He is one of the guys that just doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, for example like Zamula has all last season and this one as well.
and this is so (not)funny after bringing him up as one of the reasons why you dont draft a potential star dman!

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
TK does not lack hockey IQ. At least not nearly to the degree that Tippet does.

We should be developing 18 year old in the NHL now? Seems like a recipe for disaster.
oh they gunna burn a year off. about game 40 or so when hes completly overwhelmed they will send him down..

100% everytime they choose wrong.. even when its a slamdunk easy choice.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Watching him, he's probably too advanced for the CHL.

Deady. Respectfully. You're talking f***ing nuts.

I don't know exactly what it is you're trying to say and I don't want to put words in your mouth. It is impossible to go from what Luchanko did last year to "too advanced" for the OHL in a training camp and preseason at 18yo. That's not within the realm of possibility. That doesn't make him one tiny bit less of a prospect. It's just not how any hockey player on the planet works.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I think this season can be the inverse of last season if Couturier is no longer a top 6 C and Luchanko gets sent down as he should. There will probably a lot to like on the individual level but I think they won’t be as competitive as they were last year

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
In order to open up seams, offensive teams will tighten up around the triangle and to get defenders to engage them directly. Once they get them to engage, a seam opens up, and can be exploited.
This is what I want on all PPs tbh, keep forcing teams to collapse then get close/dangerous shots off. If the 5v3 pk stays passive and collapses, it makes the two top guys in the box more valuable because they can get closer. If you have a righty and a lefty at the top, they can easily switch spots depending on if you're qbing from down low or the top to open up all one timers.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Watching him, he's probably too advanced for the CHL.
1000008044.png

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If Luchanko could go to the AHL it would be ideal (which is what some European prospects have done at 18-19). Watching him, he's probably too advanced for the CHL.

Right now he hasn't shown enough to either keep or send down, that is, he's shown he can handle the NHL physically and mentally, but he hasn't shown enough that keeping him is a no-brainer.

But this is two games on a West Coast road trip, let's see how he fares in the 6 game homestand.

Just untrue all around. Goodness.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

#crickets...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I mean it's fully wild to determine that a player would be best served developmentally at a lower level, so therefore the NHL is fine. After years of insisting you cannot develop in the NHL. My brain is going to split in half sideways. Not even along the hemisphere

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

He is not too advanced for the CHL. Good lord give me a fn break. What a silly statement to make.

• Haha
Reactions: trostol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad