Value of: 2C to the Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
How many 3Cs scored 39 points in 63 games and lead their team in 5 on 5 scoring per minute?

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ters&minutes=200&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Yeah agreed. No offense but Bozak wouldn't even come close to beating out Coots for 2nd line center. In fact, I don't think there are many players who would available that could. Once next season starts these concerns will be negated.

And again the Flyers lack of offense stems from the back-end. Not the center position, not the wing, but the D. It's the breakouts, and shots from the point that hurt this team. That's why Ghost's arrival was so noticeable. Wait until you have Ghost, DZ, Sanheim, Provorov dishing the puck out of the zone, everyone's stats will go up.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Flyers need a LW?

Not that these two teams would ever make a significant trade together, but what would you give NYR for Kreider or Miller? We need a RD.

MDZ can play the right side, Streit too. Really can't see a trade with a team that needs a RD, Flyers just have Gudas and he's worth more to the Flyers than his trade value would bring.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeh, we already have a 2C who is only 23 years old yet paced for 51 points last year and dominated possession while getting some of the toughest minutes in the league and being on a frankly awful PP2 where he was the best player.

Even if we got another '2C' Couturier would still play more minutes than them in all likelihood since he is glued to the oppositions best players.

So getting another 2C would just be an expensive frivolity really... especially as given Giroux is 1C and Couturier will get ~18+ mins a night whatever they would likely be getting ~15-16 mins a night at; effectively, 3C!

A better use of cap, resources etc would be getting a ~30pt 200ft 3C... or a ~45+ point LW. They are the two gaping holes in our forward group. But tbh one of them may be filled very soon.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Not to be a dick, but this thread is dumb. Couturier will probably be one of the best 2nd line centers in the league next year. Flyers didn't give Coots a long term contract to be a 3rd liner, nor does he need to be.

These conversations are starting to get old honestly, if you think the Flyers are missing a 2nd line center, you're not paying attention hard enough. Coots has been elite defensively since his rookie year, at the very least he's a 2nd line center. If he continues to improve offensively, (which very young players due) he should have no problem carrying the play and being a 1st line option for Center. Odd's are he won't be as good as G offensively, but his size and D instincts, and natural skill, are a rare combination.

With Giroux and Couturier they are set right now. We'll get a look at the potential 1C Vorobyov and 2C Rubstov, for the Russians at the WJC. If they both develop we could be set with big strong 2-way Cs for a while.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Patrick Marleau maybe. I think he's sticking with the Sharks but he asked for a trade before last season and may still want out.

- Can play left wing and center
- Still got speed to burn
- Great defensively and on the PK
- Still has some offensive pop
- Coming off his worst season in nearly a decade. That means he'll come cheap, but has rebound potential. His terrible season still saw him put up nearly 50 points in a defensive role though.
- Some of the best eyebrows in the game

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Sutter is pretty good when healthy, but you don't want to know who we'd have to send back to make him work under the cap going forward.

Was Bozak for Read not a thing that reached a pretty healthy consensus?

That's not bad except I think management want to try Cousins at 3C. Laughton and Raffl are other options there.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We can tell you're not a flyers fan because you admit coots is nothing more than a very good 3C. They should have signed Backes.

Just like I can tell you don't know what the hell you're talking about by the ignorance displayed in this comment.

:)

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Patrick Marleau maybe. I think he's sticking with the Sharks but he asked for a trade before last season and may still want out.

- Can play left wing and center
- Still got speed to burn
- Great defensively and on the PK
- Still has some offensive pop
- Coming off his worst season in nearly a decade. That means he'll come cheap, but has rebound potential. His terrible season still saw him put up nearly 50 points in a defensive role though.
- Some of the best eyebrows in the game

If they look like a contender he could be a deadline rental target but I think the Flyers are still one season removed from being contenders that make deadline acquisitions like that.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Flyers need a LW?

Not that these two teams would ever make a significant trade together, but what would you give NYR for Kreider or Miller? We need a RD.

We have nothing to offer in the way of RD.

We are using Gudas, Ghost, and Streit/MacDonald on RD going into this season.

Ghost is untouchable obviously and the Flyers can't afford to move Gudas for a forward because of his performance/age/contract/the state of their defense. Streit and MacDonald require no explanations lol.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ah, couldn't remember Schultz ever playing the right side.

It'd be helpful if he could play RD on the 3rd pair this year if we can move Streit or in the event of injuries.

MDZ - Gudas
MacDonald - Ghost
Provorov - Streit / Schultz

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
If they look like a contender he could be a deadline rental target but I think the Flyers are still one season removed from being contenders that make deadline acquisitions like that.

That's fair, but I think if the Sharks do deal Marleau this season, it will be either now (just to be done with him) or near the end of training camp (once they see if their young wingers are going to be able to step up). I really don't see the Sharks as sellers at the deadline unless Marleau is doing really terribly or if he is really desperate to get out.

He's a UFA at the end of this season though, so if you guys are still looking, he might be a decent free agent pickup as your year stopgap.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's fair, but I think if the Sharks do deal Marleau this season, it will be either now (just to be done with him) or near the end of training camp (once they see if their young wingers are going to be able to step up). I really don't see the Sharks as sellers at the deadline unless Marleau is doing really terribly or if he is really desperate to get out.

He's a UFA at the end of this season though, so if you guys are still looking, he might be a decent free agent pickup as your year stopgap.

The flyers can't take on 6.67 milion for Marleau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad