Value of: 2C to the Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
im not a Flyers fan but i've lived in flyer country for the last 5 years and i hate to admit it but their future is looking pretty bright. Alot of people are pushing the need for a LW for the second line but i think they are better off trying to trade a defensive chip of their choice (Hagg/Morin) and maybe a + (laughton possibly) for a 2nd line center for this season and maybe the next until Rubstov is ready to try and make the jump. I love Coots game but i just dont think he is an offensively talented enough play maker/goal scorer to be giving Jake Voracek and probably Konecny (lots of high hopes for this kid) the chance to reach thier max potential. IMO coots is an average 2c or a very high end 3c that could give any third line a scoring punch and also be a shutdown line against big names. A couple names that popped to my head that i thought could be good fits. (Bryan Little, Mikael Backlund, Tomas Plekanec) how far off would a package around Morin/Hagg + get you to landing one of these guys or someone of better fit that i didnt think of.

**I know all these players might not be up for trade but im talking about from flyers perspective who i think would be perfect for vory and Company.
*Lets not turn this into a super block buster so dont counter propose anyone that you believe requires Sanheim or Provorov because they are untouchable to most flyers fans as they should be

Schenn-G-Simmonds
Voracek-Little/Back/Plek-Konecny
Raffl-Coots-Weise
bellemore-cousins-Read

Ghost,Prov,Sanheim,MDZ,Streit and Gudas pretty solid once those guns are ready to go

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sean Couturier is their 2C now and for the forseeable future. He was on pace for 50 points the last 3/4 of his season with elite defense. He is just about to enter his prime.

German Rubstov could potentially be their 2C in the future.

They will not be trading for one.

They may look at a top 6 LW or 3C though but again Konecny may be that too 6 LW and the jury is still out on Cousins/Laughton as 3C.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No interest in trading Little who has two years on his contract and is a very good two way forward who is great 2nd liner for opening post offer. Much sooner keep him. Pass from Jets imo

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sean Couturier is their 2C now and for the forseeable future. He was on pace for 50 points the last 3/4 of his season with elite defense. He is just about to enter his prime.

German Rubstov could potentially be their 2C in the future.

They will not be trading for one.

They may look at a top 6 LW or 3C though but again Konecny may be that too 6 LW and the jury is still out on Cousins/Laughton as 3C.

Actually, Couts was in pace for points for the entire year....but was on pace for 60+ from Nov 28th onward. Last 46 games, Couts paced for 62 points (35 points in 46 games)

tyler bozak.

If your looking for a short term fixture that is cheap bozak is a decent option.

Bozak is someone I have mentioned before is Hextall felt Cousins was not going to progress. But it would be in the 3rd line C role. He has 2 years left in his deal which bridges to Rubstov's arrival.

Couts is our #2 C.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
The Flyers don't really have a need to trade for a 2nd line Centre as of this time. I kinda understand where Voynovsparoleofficer is coming from, but the Flyers are Not ready to make an all out run for the Stanley Cup this season.

Couturier is without a doubt the best defensive forwards the Flyers have.
Sean plays against the opposing teams top offensive lines night in and nite out.

If the Flyers were ready to make a run for the Cup, I could see Couturier being the 3rd line shut down centre only when Rubtsov is on the Flyers roster as the 2nd line scoring/playmaking Centre.

It makes more sense for the Flyers to be patient and to let their prospects develop, then it would to acquire a 2nd line Centre via trade at the expense of Morin, Hagg, Laughton or any other prospect that the Flyers have.

Hextall is doing the right thing being patient and staying the course, building for a run in 2-3 years from now.

This is what the Flyers line up could look like 2 years from now.
LW Schenn C Giroux RW Konecny
LW Voracek C Rubtsov RW Aube-Kubel
LW Raffl C Couturier RW Simmonds
LW Lindblom C Cousins RW Weise

LD Provorov RD Gostisbehere
LD Sanheim RD Gudas
LD Morin RD Myers/Hagg/or FA signing

#1 G Lyon
#2 G Sandstrom
Extra's
Hagg
Lyubimov
Laberge
Allison
Vorobyov

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
OP I'm not trading Morin+ for a "stopgap" 2C.

Coots is more than gifted enough offensively and provides elite defense daily.

I would trade lesser prospects for stopgap 3C, one who could take some of the defensive burden off of coots and allow him to contribute more offensively like the 2C he can be.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm surprised that I'm the first to mention that Morin and Hagg don't have remotely close to the same value.

We also don't need a 2c. We need another defensively great 3c to let Couturier roam a bit, and stop relying on our top 2 centers to be our 3C as well. Couturier reads the game well enough to be a great 2c, he just doesn't have the opportunity due to his insane d zone starts and assignments.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
The Flyers have a great 2nd line center already. One of the best defensive players in the league, as a matter of fact.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
We can tell you're not a flyers fan because you admit coots is nothing more than a very good 3C. They should have signed Backes.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
OP, if you think Sean Couturier isn't a legit 2nd line center then you just don't pay attention. It's ridiculous to even suggest he is not.

Also, trading Morin for a rental is a horrendous idea.

This thread should just be closed.

lets not get too carried away. "ridiculous" to suggest a guy who has never even hit 40 pts isnt a 2nd line center?

how many NHL 2nd line C's have a career high of 39pts after 5 seasons?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
lets not get too carried away. "ridiculous" to suggest a guy who has never even hit 40 pts isnt a 2nd line center?

how many NHL 2nd line C's have a career high of 39pts after 5 seasons?

As has already been written, he was on pace for over 50 last year, 60+ since November, and that's with playing on the Flyers' abysmal PP2. Before this year he has never been given constant quality linemates better than Read (who was decimated by injury 2 seasons ago), injured has-beens like Umberger, or just run-of-the-mill dreck like Rinaldo and Talbot and Downie.

Only one player can say he sees equally hard usage and that's Patrice Bergeron. Except in years past, Coots didn't have Reilly Smith or Marchand or any real top 6 player on his wing. Obviously Bergy is in a class to himself, but Sean Couturier is a legitimate Selke caliber player on top of the 50+ points he was on pace to score. You're just showing your ignorance.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
bozak wouldnt necessarily have to be your 2c he could be your 3c. And he could also take some pressure off of couts, seeing as bozie is an amazing face off guy, he could take some of couts dzone starts. And bozie isnt worth much more then a 2nd right now.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Bozak a good fit, but needed as Leaf

bozak wouldnt necessarily have to be your 2c he could be your 3c. And he could also take some pressure off of couts, seeing as bozie is an amazing face off guy, he could take some of couts dzone starts. And bozie isnt worth much more then a 2nd right now.

HavocWreaker sums of Bozak's value very well. But for that reason he is needed for the Leafs.
Kadri, Bozak and Matthews are the Leafs top three centres....and not much as 4 and 5.
If Bozak was traded and Kadri ever hurt or suspended, wow it would fall on rookie Matthews.

It's almost the same for any JVR trade talks. JVR is really the only established scoring winger the Leafs have. Bozak and JVR are more valuable to Leafs than picks or prospects....at least for this year.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I agree Couts is getting there.

If the Flyers were to contend next two years, i would say yes, they need or can use a more production 2nd line center like Plekanec or Little. But they aren't, not now. So enough time for Couts to become a real good 2nd line C and develop Rubstov.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
As has already been written, he was on pace for over 50 last year, 60+ since November, and that's with playing on the Flyers' abysmal PP2. Before this year he has never been given constant quality linemates better than Read (who was decimated by injury 2 seasons ago), injured has-beens like Umberger, or just run-of-the-mill dreck like Rinaldo and Talbot and Downie.

Only one player can say he sees equally hard usage and that's Patrice Bergeron. Except in years past, Coots didn't have Reilly Smith or Marchand or any real top 6 player on his wing. Obviously Bergy is in a class to himself, but Sean Couturier is a legitimate Selke caliber player on top of the 50+ points he was on pace to score. You're just showing your ignorance.

Easy tiger. No need to put people down. I don't like using labels like 1c 2c 3c but I think it is an honest question whether you think to be a serious Cup contender in 2 or 3 years you wouldn't be better off with another dynamic center (wingers too but there is that in the pipeline) in addition to Couturier. Who knows what the centers in the Flyers pipeline will become but I don't think of them as the dynamic players I believe you need to beat the other top teams in the league.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Giroux is 1, Couturier is 2, Cousins is a very serviceable 3.

We need an LW, but we don't need a C yet. Especially with Rubstov on the way.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Not to be a dick, but this thread is dumb. Couturier will probably be one of the best 2nd line centers in the league next year. Flyers didn't give Coots a long term contract to be a 3rd liner, nor does he need to be.

These conversations are starting to get old honestly, if you think the Flyers are missing a 2nd line center, you're not paying attention hard enough. Coots has been elite defensively since his rookie year, at the very least he's a 2nd line center. If he continues to improve offensively, (which very young players due) he should have no problem carrying the play and being a 1st line option for Center. Odd's are he won't be as good as G offensively, but his size and D instincts, and natural skill, are a rare combination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad