GDT: '24-25 Wolves/Bison talk

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Imagine being an AHL owner and being frustrated your NHL affiliate would rather prioritize development than winning.

My God, the AHL needs to kick the Wolves out of the league if this is how they are going to be. It is not healthy for either the AHL or NHL to have one franchise just unabashedly unwilling to do what is expected of them.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Seeing this interview certainly paints a clearer picture of why there was so much friction between Dundon and Wolves ownership :help:
The roster they got from the Canes is superb this year and as I recall 2 years ago the team had injuries but then caught fire in the 2nd half and just fell out of the playoffs. Perhaps it was their GM that sucked in rounding out the roster. Last year, totally on them.

And....it was under Canes that they won their last AHL championship.

Conclusion: he seems like an arrogant, self-important arse and it's apparent that the reason why they have turned over working with NHL teams is probably his management style/personality.

btw: that was a setup interview with his TV personality so I suspect pre-planned to lash out publicly....not what I'd recommend in attacking Canes Management (and not with Dundon as your partner).

Last edited:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I don’t know shit about shit so maybe I’m way off base here. But it really seems like the wolves cannot exist the way this dude wants them to. They can’t support themselves without an nhl club and apparently can’t (or maybe just won’t) support themselves unless they’re trying for a championship every year which just isn’t going to happen every year if you are a development team and certainly won’t happen often if you’re relying on non-nhl talent. Sucks for this guy I guess but also like… that’s just how it is

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Normally I’d say it’s a classic example of two hardheaded people clashing (Dundon and this dude), but considering the Wolves have a history of being difficult to work with throughout many years, I’d definitely lay more of the blame on this asshole’s shoulders.

Also, I don’t know what affiliation this Rinaldi tweeter has with the Wolves, but man does he love to selectively present information that makes the NHL affiliate for the Wolves look bad.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Normally I’d say it’s a classic example of two hardheaded people clashing (Dundon and this dude), but considering the Wolves have a history of being difficult to work with throughout many years, I’d definitely lay more of the blame on this asshole’s shoulders.

Also, I don’t know what affiliation this Rinaldi tweeter has with the Wolves, but man does he love to selectively present information that makes the NHL affiliate for the Wolves look bad.
Rinaldi is a mouthpiece for the Wolves owners. He consistently puts out stories for whatever agenda those owners want, often trashing the NHL affiliate of the team, whoever that is at the time.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Its called player development, dumbass. Its literally the point of the AHL

Oh, and reading the replies to the tweets. Its basically a buuuuunch of people from the Canes going "know your role", a few personalities from other previous NHL affiliates going "yeah, this isn't surprising from this asshole" and a lot of AHL beat writers saying the Canes are absolutely 100% in the wrong.

f*** this arrangement. Play out this year, buy another team and let Chicago die on the vine. They don't care about the needs of the NHL affiliate in this arrangement, all they care about is winning a title, even if that means actively avoiding playing players of the NHL affiliate, like they did to Kochetkov in the Calder Cup run. This guy is crying about not having enough AHL vets because we all damn well know those are the players he wants to play the most, to hell with prospect development.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Its called player development, dumbass. Its literally the point of the AHL

Oh, and reading the replies to the tweets. Its basically a buuuuunch of people from the Canes going "know your role", a few personalities from other previous NHL affiliates going "yeah, this isn't surprising from this asshole" and a lot of AHL beat writers saying the Canes are absolutely 100% in the wrong.

f*** this arrangement. Play out this year, buy another team and let Chicago die on the vine. They don't care about the needs of the NHL affiliate in this arrangement, all they care about is winning a title, even if that means actively avoiding playing players of the NHL affiliate, like they did to Kochetkov in the Calder Cup run. This guy is crying about not having enough AHL vets because we all damn well know those are the players he wants to play the most, to hell with prospect development.
What's mind-blowing is the cognitive dissonance that the ONE time he tried to do just that with AHL vets and no NHL affiliate, his team was the laughing stock of the AHL until the Canes loaned him some young guys and they started to improve slightly

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
just keep looking for the next AHL team to go on sale and buy them - good luck to whoever it is that gets stuck working with this temper tantrum throwing asshole when/if we move on.
lol

I’d leave the Canes in “one minute” & they would leave in “two minutes”.

Based on the interview I gather NHL/AHL strong-armed Levin.

Btw: I’d add bad mouthing players (they won’t be developed to perform)/team is not a ideal way to market your team at any point, particularly early in the season when you want to sell tickets.

He might want failure thus year to build case to push back on NHL too.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
lol

I’d leave the Canes in “one minute” & they would leave in “two minutes”.

Based on the interview I gather NHL/AHL strong-armed Levin.

Btw: I’d add bad mouthing players (they won’t be developed to perform)/team is not a ideal way to market your team at any point, particularly early in the season when you want to sell tickets.
And this kind of tantrum has to not just piss off Dundon, but also the front offices of every other team in the NHL. You don't want a AHL franchise openly antagonistic toward being a development program and openly trashing their NHL affiliate when they aren't doing everything in their power to win games, because, again, they want you to be a development program. Pining for AHL vets to get playing time over prospects is asinine, and it should be the kind of rhetoric that eliminates you from being an affiliate going forward. And quite frankly, if the AHL wants to continue its good working relationship with the NHL, they need to take a hard line against these kind of statements, else they risk other franchises going rogue as well, leading to the NHL looking elsewhere for a better affiliate league.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That is WILD lmao.

Pettiness almost to the point of having to respect it. Literally just like "these guys are gonna get clobbered out there!" about his own team lolololol.

I'm for it. The NHL and AHL should force these two franchises together until it stops being funny.
I mean it makes for a good sound bite, but in terms of actual relationship management between the AHL and NHL, its a terrible look for the owner of an AHL franchise, and something the league absolutely must get in front of. They really cannot have owners going rogue like this.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
(Also, am I crazy or is there actually a halfway decent stock of non-prospect vets on the Wolves? Jost, Jaaska, Joakim Ryan, Ty Smith, Josiah Slavin, Brind'Amour, Austin Wagner, Spencer Martin...)

I mean it makes for a good sound bite, but in terms of actual relationship management between the AHL and NHL, its a terrible look for the owner of an AHL franchise, and something the league absolutely must get in front of. They really cannot have owners going rogue like this.

Counterpoint: it's very funny.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad