Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread VI

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Don't make the Zadorov signing and we have enough space to keep Debrusk. Don't make the Zadorov signing and also sell high on Geekie and we have enough space to retain Debrusk and Heinen. Would've needed to run a 22 man roster or sent Korpi down, but it could've worked.

Those are difference making deals.

They were not signing Debrusk. We could argue whether they should haven. but that was not going to happen. If they didn't sign zadarov they would have signed Heinen, and kikely would have signed a different physcal defenseman for the 2-3 million range if they didn't get Zadarov.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

SALT LAKE CITY — Coaches are often tasked with extinguishing fires, sometimes on the ice, other times in the locker room. It comes with the territory.

On Sunday morning, however, Jim Montgomery was looking to light a few.

Fresh off a disappointing effort in a 2-1 overtime loss Saturday night to the Utah Hockey Club, the Bruins coach led a spirited morning-after practice at Delta Center.
From the moment he stepped on the ice, it was clear Montgomery was unhappy with his club’s effort. So, he put a few turbo shots on their post-breakfast menu.

Montgomery was not pleased with “work habits and execution” of his players, a clear carryover from the night before.

“Not happy with the puck pressure, especially,” he said. “We’ve got to be, everybody’s got to be committed to checking and right now, I’m not seeing it, and my job is to emphasize those areas when they’re not being attained.”

Montgomery abruptly stopped several drills before their conclusion to point out his displeasure and make some pointed corrections. He said he did see improvements in his charges’ “neutral-zone forechecking,” but it was clear he was looking for more.

Several of the team leaders, led by captain Brad Marchand, also were outspoken and direct about what they wanted to see accomplished during the 45-minute workout, which featured a lot of two-on-two and three-on-two work with an emphasis on forechecking and backchecking.

“Our leaders have always been really good, and I was very happy to hear them being vocal during practice,” said Montgomery.

Montgomery emphasized the team’s record is not what has him concerned a half-dozen games into the new season.

“The last couple of years, we’ve gotten off to great starts and we played fast. I don’t like the pace we’re currently playing with,” he said. “Being 3-2-1 to start the year, you look around the league and there’s a lot of that, that’s fine. The record, I’m not worried about. Results, I’m not worried about right now. It’s the process and the process is not consistently to our desires right now.”

Veteran defenseman Brandon Carlo said it’s natural for coaches to get their dander up when things aren’t on the up and up.

“I think it’s great,” Carlo said of Montgomery’s practice passion. “I think his intensity shows and at times our group intensity needs to be up a little bit, so he’s leading by example in that facet, and I like to be as loud as possible out on the ice as well to kind of match it. So, it’s nothing to shy away from, but, obviously, just take it for what it is and have a good practice and I felt like we accomplished that today.”

Carlo said when it comes to polishing the process that Montgomery is concerned with, it comes down to being in the moment and staying consistently on point.

“I think you see it just from a shift-to-shift basis. We need to make sure that we’re honing in on one shift at a time,” he said. “We will get momentum one shift, kind of lose it the next. So those things, you kind of grow your game throughout the entire 60 minutes, but just remaining consistent and going out there, doing our responsibilities, each shift with reloads, with having good gaps as defensemen, with moving the puck as quick as we can to the forwards, just our collective game as a whole.”

Like Montgomery, Carlo thought the skate improved as the morning moved on.

“When you first get out there, there’s obviously going to be some bobbled pucks and whatnot, but throughout the practice we were starting to get more crisp with [the puck] and moving it the way that we wanted to,” he said. “So, I thought our intensity level was good, and it started with Monty.”

It was tough to gauge if Montgomery had lineup changes in mind for Tuesday’s game in Nashville as he didn’t run traditional lines during practice. Instead, the players were grouped by jersey colors.

Those in white included Marchand, David Pastrnak, Elias Lindholm, Mark Kastelic, Cole Koepke, Matt Poitras, and Justin Brazeau.

The forwards in gold jerseys were Pavel Zacha, Charlie Coyle, Trent Frederic, Morgan Geekie, Johnny Beecher, Max Jones, and Riley Tufte.

In line for more time​

Montgomery said he hasn’t considered moving Koepke, the Bruins’ leading scorer (3 goals, 6 points), off the line with Kastelic and Beecher. “I’m keeping the line together and maybe I just got to start playing them for like 16 minutes a night instead of 12:30 that I have been,” he said . .

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
It is quite disturbing how this organization treats young talent. Just try Lysell with Marchand and Coyle. How bad can it go? He might even make an offensive play that gets him benched.

And you wan to set an example? Scratch Coyle for a game. Send a real message. What the heck has Coyle done so far this season?

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

“Not happy with the puck pressure, especially,” he said. “We’ve got to be, everybody’s got to be committed to checking and right now, I’m not seeing it, and my job is to emphasize those areas when they’re not being attained.”

This quote does not sound like a coach who is looking for a Lysell or Johnson to come in and solve the problems. Lysell for sure will not be that person

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Don't make the Zadorov signing and we have enough space to keep Debrusk. Don't make the Zadorov signing and also sell high on Geekie and we have enough space to retain Debrusk and Heinen. Would've needed to run a 22 man roster or sent Korpi down, but it could've worked.

Those are difference making deals.

Yeah they weren’t going to run a Mitchell or Regula as 7D, tho. They were going to spend some of that money on D regardless.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
It is quite disturbing how this organization treats young talent. Just try Lysell with Marchand and Coyle. How bad can it go? He might even make an offensive play that gets him benched.

And you wan to set an example? Scratch Coyle for a game. Send a real message. What the heck has Coyle done so far this season?

Matt Poitras and Mason Lohrei are both on the team.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And you know this for certain?

What I know if is the coach thinks the problem with the team is they are not relentless on the forecheck Lysell is not going to be the person who fixes that problem. That isn't his game

And Beecher certainly made the team 1-2 years before people were expecting him in Boston

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I said during the summer I wanted the Bruins to acquire a playmaking center for the second line.
Either a veteran for short term or a player that was buried in another system.
But, alas no cap space.
Best case scenario at the moment would be to move Zacha to line 2 center or use Poitras there and live with the mistakes.
If Poitras at center have Zacha on his wing.
Montgomery could flip flop them at center according to game needs.
Marchand moves to line 1.
Coyle to line 3 center.
At least for the next 10 plus games.
It would put players at their better efficiency levels throughout the line up.
Still would need someone to claim 2 line RW.

• Love
Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

And you wan to set an example? Scratch Coyle for a game. Send a real message. What the heck has Coyle done so far this season

Lysell didn’t earn a spot. There is three inexperienced players on the roster, Poitras(who is younger than lysell), lohrei and Beecher. This team is clearly giving young players a chance.

Young players have to earn it. This isn’t a development league. Players have to show they are going to help the team win right now. What makes you think lysell with move the needle?

I don’t watch providence games so I can’t say for sure but Vinni lettieri is probably the guy who would get called up if there is an injury. I’m just going by stats though.

Reactions: PlayMakers

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Lysell didn’t earn a spot. There is three inexperienced players on the roster, Poitras(who is younger than lysell), lohrei and Beecher. This team is clearly giving young players a chance.

Young players have to earn it. This isn’t a development league. Players have to show they are going to help the team win right now. What makes you think lysell with move the needle?

I don’t watch providence games so I can’t say for sure but Vinni lettieri is probably the guy who would get called up if there is an injury. I’m just going by stats though.

Lysell if an offensive player. He will make mistakes. What has Brazeau done to 'earn' his spot? Max Jones? Tufte? Come on folks.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

SALT LAKE CITY — Coaches are often tasked with extinguishing fires, sometimes on the ice, other times in the locker room. It comes with the territory.

On Sunday morning, however, Jim Montgomery was looking to light a few.

Fresh off a disappointing effort in a 2-1 overtime loss Saturday night to the Utah Hockey Club, the Bruins coach led a spirited morning-after practice at Delta Center.
From the moment he stepped on the ice, it was clear Montgomery was unhappy with his club’s effort. So, he put a few turbo shots on their post-breakfast menu.

Montgomery was not pleased with “work habits and execution” of his players, a clear carryover from the night before.

Montgomery abruptly stopped several drills before their conclusion to point out his displeasure and make some pointed corrections. He said he did see improvements in his charges’ “neutral-zone forechecking,” but it was clear he was looking for more.

Several of the team leaders, led by captain Brad Marchand, also were outspoken and direct about what they wanted to see accomplished during the 45-minute workout, which featured a lot of two-on-two and three-on-two work with an emphasis on forechecking and backchecking.

“Our leaders have always been really good, and I was very happy to hear them being vocal during practice,” said Montgomery.

Montgomery emphasized the team’s record is not what has him concerned a half-dozen games into the new season.

“The last couple of years, we’ve gotten off to great starts and we played fast. I don’t like the pace we’re currently playing with,” he said. “Being 3-2-1 to start the year, you look around the league and there’s a lot of that, that’s fine. The record, I’m not worried about. Results, I’m not worried about right now. It’s the process and the process is not consistently to our desires right now.”

Veteran defenseman Brandon Carlo said it’s natural for coaches to get their dander up when things aren’t on the up and up.

“I think it’s great,” Carlo said of Montgomery’s practice passion. “I think his intensity shows and at times our group intensity needs to be up a little bit, so he’s leading by example in that facet, and I like to be as loud as possible out on the ice as well to kind of match it. So, it’s nothing to shy away from, but, obviously, just take it for what it is and have a good practice and I felt like we accomplished that today.”

Carlo said when it comes to polishing the process that Montgomery is concerned with, it comes down to being in the moment and staying consistently on point.

“I think you see it just from a shift-to-shift basis. We need to make sure that we’re honing in on one shift at a time,” he said. “We will get momentum one shift, kind of lose it the next. So those things, you kind of grow your game throughout the entire 60 minutes, but just remaining consistent and going out there, doing our responsibilities, each shift with reloads, with having good gaps as defensemen, with moving the puck as quick as we can to the forwards, just our collective game as a whole.”

Like Montgomery, Carlo thought the skate improved as the morning moved on.

“When you first get out there, there’s obviously going to be some bobbled pucks and whatnot, but throughout the practice we were starting to get more crisp with [the puck] and moving it the way that we wanted to,” he said. “So, I thought our intensity level was good, and it started with Monty.”

It was tough to gauge if Montgomery had lineup changes in mind for Tuesday’s game in Nashville as he didn’t run traditional lines during practice. Instead, the players were grouped by jersey colors.

Those in white included Marchand, David Pastrnak, Elias Lindholm, Mark Kastelic, Cole Koepke, Matt Poitras, and Justin Brazeau.

The forwards in gold jerseys were Pavel Zacha, Charlie Coyle, Trent Frederic, Morgan Geekie, Johnny Beecher, Max Jones, and Riley Tufte.

In line for more time​

Montgomery said he hasn’t considered moving Koepke, the Bruins’ leading scorer (3 goals, 6 points), off the line with Kastelic and Beecher. “I’m keeping the line together and maybe I just got to start playing them for like 16 minutes a night instead of 12:30 that I have been,” he said . .
Reading Monty say “The last couple of years, we’ve gotten off to great starts..." he must have forgot last season that everyone, including the players, credited great goaltending at season start masking subpar player efforts and winning games they should not have.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

Brazeau looks good so far this season. As does Jones and Tufte. heck, Geekie explosive too. Stop it. I think Lysell deserves a chance to show what he can do with good players. Don't call him up to play in a role where he set up to fail.

Lysell might be garbage, but I think he should be given a chance to show what he can or can't do.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Brazeau looks good so far this season. As does Jones and Tufte. heck, Geekie explosive too. Stop it. I think Lysell deserves a chance to show what he can do with good players. Don't call him up to play in a role where he set up to fail.

Lysell might be garbage, but I think he should be given a chance to show what he can or can't do.

Your claim is that it's disturbing how they treat their young talent. There's young talent on the Bruins. They don't feel Lysell is ready yet and will call him up when they feel like he is - not sure what the big deal is here.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Remember when Claude hated the kids?
Remember when Bruce hated the kids?
Remember when Monty…

It’s a myth. It’s old and it’s tired.

Reactions: goldenblack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad