Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread VI

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
They need to call up Lysell and put him on the 2nd line once they get home. You tried Geekie there and it didn't work. You tried Frederic there and it looked ok. You tried Brazeau there and it didn't work.

Enough is enough, these are all 3rd line players. You need to introduce some speed and offensive creativity. Someone to drive play, bring the puck up the ice and push the defense back. This team is just looking old (especially the 63 and 13 line).

The reason why the 4th line is looking good is because they are fast and quick on pucks. Lysell has a lot to learn about how to play and NHL game but he has the tools to actually play up there and we need to take the ups and downs to get the offense we need.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
First shop Carlo for a top 6 forward. Second Marchand goes to 1LW, Zacha is not a top line player. Sit Geekie or trade him, bringing nothing right now and looks like what he has been his whole career except last season, 4th line player. Leach new head coach.
I disagree with moving Carlo this season.
The player I would shopping is Frederic. Not sure what his value is, but he is a UFA at season end . With what I have seen so far in his career. I would be very cautious about giving him a long term contract .
I consider Carlo's contract one of the better contracts on the roster

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They need to call up Lysell and put him on the 2nd line once they get home. You tried Geekie there and it didn't work. You tried Frederic there and it looked ok. You tried Brazeau there and it didn't work.

Enough is enough, these are all 3rd line players. You need to introduce some speed and offensive creativity. Someone to drive play, bring the puck up the ice and push the defense back. This team is just looking old (especially the 63 and 13 line).

The reason why the 4th line is looking good is because they are fast and quick on pucks. Lysell has a lot to learn about how to play and NHL game but he has the tools to actually play up there and we need to take the ups and downs to get the offense we need.

Ever think maybe the problem isn't the RW on that line?

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
They need to separate the top 6 and the bottom 6 in terms of talent (and of course no offense to the “fourth line” which has been awesome early on)-

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Poitras*
Jones-Frederic-Geekie/Brazeau
Beecher-Kastelic-Koepke

* (I was against Poitras on wing but they need some GD talent in this top 6 so give him a try and some talent to play with).

Maybe even flip Zacha and Marchy for a bit to get Marchy going.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
They need to separate the top 6 and the bottom 6 in terms of talent (and of course no offense to the “fourth line” which has been awesome early on)-

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Poitras*
Frederic-Geekie-Brazeau
Beecher-Kastelic-Koepke

(I was against Poitras on wing but they need some GD talent in this top 6 so give him a try and some talent to play with).

Maybe even flip Zacha and Marchy for a bit to get Marchy going.
If only our top prospect was a speedy, playmaking RW. If only.

Also that third line would be unusably slow IMO

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
If you think the 4th line is going to shoot at 30% all season I dunno what to tell you.

Marchand, Coyle, Frederic, Geekie, Brazeau, Poitras, Jones and Tufte have a combined 2 goals.
I don't I don't but I don't think the first line is going to go scoreless much longer either Elias missed most of training camp and has no chemistry yet with 88 and 18 it'll come 63 missed most of camp as well and coming off three major surgeries he needs some time to catch up to speed it's very early they got seven points and six games it's not as if they haven't got any points take a deep breath look at the standings everybody is basically playing the same way in our division relax it's a long season we'll be fine

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Ever think maybe the problem isn't the RW on that line?
True, but the RW is still a problem.

I don't I don't but I don't think the first line is going to go scoreless much longer either Elias missed most of training camp and has no chemistry yet with 88 and 18 it'll come 63 missed most of camp as well and coming off three major surgeries he needs some time to catch up to speed it's very early they got seven points and six games it's not as if they haven't got any points take a deep breath look at the standings everybody is basically playing the same way in our division relax it's a long season we'll be fine
Lindholm and Pasta looked good in their first preseason game together. But I too think it will come.

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024

lysell is not even a legit threat at the AHL level he was giving the first few games of training camp and couldn't do anything against AHL players and you think he's magically going to jump onto the second line against NHL caliber players an make a difference he is a defensive liability and would hurt the team that is why he's in Providence
Elias Brad Potrais all missed significant amount of training camp they need to get up to speed not to mention the chemistry part takes time
We played six games we don't need to make any moves right now we just got to practice and work our way out of the scoring slump if you can call it that we do have 23 goals and six games which is four goals a game on average

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
lysell is not even a legit threat at the AHL level he was giving the first few games of training camp and couldn't do anything against AHL players and you think he's magically going to jump onto the second line against NHL caliber players an make a difference he is a defensive liability and would hurt the team that is why he's in Providence
Elias Brad Potrais all missed significant amount of training camp they need to get up to speed not to mention the chemistry part takes time
We played six games we don't need to make any moves right now we just got to practice and work our way out of the scoring slump if you can call it that we do have 23 goals and six games which is four goals a game on average
You can not like Lysell as a prospect if you want, but this is just a deeply unserious and objectively incorrect opinion.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
In my opinion, you can shuffle line combinations until you’re blue in the face and it ain’t gonna make a difference. Bottom line is that there isn’t enough goal scoring talent in that group and our forward groups have multiple holes. You can shuffle the lines, but you’re just shuffling the holes.

We had 50+ goals walk over the summer, and we added Lindholm (who’s been fine) and some 4th liners (Kastelic has been excellent). Problem is that nobody has filled the gap left by Heinen, DeBrusk, and yes, even JVR. Those were productive middle 6 guys who gave us at least SOME scoring depth.

Yeah, it’s easy to shit on those 3 guys individually as being expendable. However in total, we still haven’t plugged that depth gap. Lysell could have helped, and he had every opportunity to make this club and he still couldn’t do it. Throwing him in there now is a desperation move, but that’s where we are.

I know I keep harping on that Zadorov signing, but he was a player we didn’t need, and that money could have been better used elsewhere. That’s on Sweeney.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mick Riddleton

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
However, that's why you need to wait until 20 games in. If Coyle, Marchand, Zacha, Frederic and Geekie continue to significantly underperform production wise at G20, they will be a legit DNQ possibility. I don't see that lack of production happening and they will start playing better and win more consistently.

Might be worth it to put Koepke with 63 and 13 against Nashville. Keep Beecher with Kastelic.

Patience is, of course, a virtue. But I think a few things are clear to me already.

1) The top line isn’t right. It’s too soft and perimeter as a unit and I don’t think that will change with more chemistry. You are essentially hoping for a Zacha Krejci Pasta line with more goals from the center position which just seems like a regular season line. It’s just not a line that I think will succeed in making all these fancy big triangle tic tac toe plays from teams that are going to get in their face. Early on, I thought it needed Marchand and to go “perfection lite”, but maybe it just needs someone who wants to play north/south and battle down low and give them an option to score in a different way. Like Hagel with Kucherov or Bennett with Florida or Bertuzzi in Boston. Zacha I think is who they want to do that, but I just get the feeling that he is much better at buying into a more blue collar game when he isn’t the one being asked to drag everyone into the fight.

2) Marchand ain’t good enough to carry the 2nd line by himself and they don’t have enough offensive talent in the top 9 to just be losing Marchand to a shutdown matchup line that doesn’t score.

3) Poitras still has learning to do and I have no idea if playing on the actual 4th line by TOI, or getting pushed higher in the lineup with better players, or Providence is the best place for him to do that. He looked like a good top six center right now against LA, and like a guy playing in the wrong league in some of the other games. I don’t think the answer is throwing him on the fourth all season, but maybe it’s a case of you put him on that line for a couple weeks and then see if he earns a higher up shot or if he needs to go be 1C in Providence.

4) Having one of Geekie or Brazeau on the ice for half the game makes the team too slow. They were too slow last year, and swapping JVR for Brazeau and DeBrusk for Lindholm didn’t do anything for them, nor does Marchand looking a step slower (so far) help.

Figuring out if you are trying to build a real scoring line around Poitras or not just seems like the big thing that makes a lot more clear. And, if not, do you think he can survive at wing being near the boards all the time.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In my opinion, you can shuffle line combinations until you’re blue in the face and it ain’t gonna make a difference. Bottom line is that there isn’t enough goal scoring talent in that group and our forward groups have multiple holes. You can shuffle the lines, but you’re just shuffling the holes.

We had 50+ goals walk over the summer, and we added Lindholm (who’s been fine) and some 4th liners (Katelic has been excellent). Problem is that nobody has filled the gap left by Heinen, DeBrusk, and yes, even JVR. Those were productive middle 6 guys who gave us at least SOME depth.

Yeah, it’s easy to shit on those 3 guys individually as being expendable. However in total, we still haven’t plugged that depth gap. Lysell could have helped, and he had every opportunity to make this club and he still couldn’t do it. Throwing him in there now is a desperation move, but that’s where we are.

I know I keep harping on that Zadorov signing, but he was a player we didn’t need, and that money could have been better used elsewhere. That’s on Sweeney.

That's a 17-goal scorer, a 19-goal scorer and an 11-goal scorer.

That doesn't seem to be such a big gap in goal scoring to fill.

If they can't be replaced, yeah, that could be a problem.

Bruins were 12th in goals scored last season. They currently sit 7th.

Patience is, of course, a virtue. But I think a few things are clear to me already.

1) The top line isn’t right. It’s too soft and perimeter as a unit and I don’t think that will change with more chemistry. You are essentially hoping for a Zacha Krejci Pasta line with more goals from the center position which just seems like a regular season line. It’s just not a line that I think will succeed in making all these fancy big triangle tic tac toe plays from teams that are going to get in their face. Early on, I thought it needed Marchand and to go “perfection lite”, but maybe it just needs someone who wants to play north/south and battle down low and give them an option to score in a different way. Like Hagel with Kucherov or Bennett with Florida or Bertuzzi in Boston. Zacha I think is who they want to do that, but I just get the feeling that he is much better at buying into a more blue collar game when he isn’t the one being asked to drag everyone into the fight.

2) Marchand ain’t good enough to carry the 2nd line by himself and they don’t have enough offensive talent in the top 9 to just be losing Marchand to a shutdown matchup line that doesn’t score.

3) Poitras still has learning to do and I have no idea if playing on the actual 4th line by TOI, or getting pushed higher in the lineup with better players, or Providence is the best place for him to do that. He looked like a good top six center right now against LA, and like a guy playing in the wrong league in some of the other games. I don’t think the answer is throwing him on the fourth all season, but maybe it’s a case of you put him on that line for a couple weeks and then see if he earns a higher up shot or if he needs to go be 1C in Providence.

4) Having one of Geekie or Brazeau on the ice for half the game makes the team too slow. They were too slow last year, and swapping JVR for Brazeau and DeBrusk for Lindholm didn’t do anything for them, nor does Marchand looking a step slower (so far) help.

Figuring out if you are trying to build a real scoring line around Poitras or not just seems like the big thing that makes a lot more clear. And, if not, do you think he can survive at wing being near the boards all the time.

First two points are excellent.

Basically, Pasta and Marchand have to pick up their games.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
My biggest frustration is playing unserious players - Tufte and Brazzeau. None of us know what the lines should be/will be by the end of the year but based on the first 6 games/preseason - wtf has Tufte shown you to merit anymore time.

As for Brazzers - like the finish but he's just too slow to be on this lineup. If Boston was faster throughout the lineup maybe they could hide him enough but that's not the case

Sit Zadorov - 6 games with a penalty deserves a consequence.
Swap any and everything in the top 6 - pasta needs to drive play for 11 mil
Don't even think about sending Poitras down - active stick on D and he's not the bleak spot on his line so until then 🤷‍♂️

Start there

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
They sent Lysell to the AHL because he’s not even a threat in the AHL?

Sounds more like nonsense than fact.
They sent him to the AHL because he is not a threat in the NHL he is not an NHL caliber player if he was any good he would have made the team he has one goal so far in the American hockey League and you magically think he's going to make a difference here he would make our team worse what is wrong with you people I don't make the decisions for the team bruins management team collectively seeing he is not good enough and sent him down kope for an example won a spot by being a good NHL player I'm sorry but lyael is not

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Geekie is a significantly faster and more fluid skater than Brazeau or Frederic for that matter. Time will tell what happens but I'll give the time to players that have a track record like Marchand and and Coyle to improve their goal scoring rates to at least half of what they produced last year. As it stands now Coyle and Marchand have ONE GOAL BETWEEN THEM. They aren't staying at a pace like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad