Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread VI

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tomorrow’s Globe:

You’ve got to hand it to Marchand​

Athletes are superstitious by nature, following game-day procedures precisely for fear of messing with the mojo.

Brad Marchand is not so much superstitious as he is a creature of habit. To wit: The Bruins captain despises breaking in new gloves.

While some players go through myriad mitts during a season, Marchand will use the same ones for seasons on end.

“I don’t go through any,” Marchand said when asked how many pairs he runs through over an 82-game season. “It’ll be years before I change them.”

Marchand said his current gloves are in their second or third season, but “I’ve had gloves for like six, seven years [in the past].”

He will repalm them about once a season.

“But I hate that, too, so I try to push it,” he said. “It’s the way they feel. They’re too stiff. I don’t like how stiff they are.”

Marchand is often described as having “filthy mitts,” and while that’s true, there’s no stink factor along with that filth, as he frequently has his gloves washed.

As for the future, Bruins fans can look forward to at least a few more seasons of Marchand.

“That’s a process to get new gloves,” he said. “I’m starting [to break in] my new gloves this year for 3-4 years down the road now. So, that’s how it goes.”

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Hard to know who/what this team is right now.

Our 2 losses came against the Stanley Cup champions but 2 of our 3 wins came against struggling teams.

Our goaltending has been inconsistent: Swayman is ranked 32nd (and Korpisalo 36) NHL Goalie Advanced Stats 2024-2025

Our defense isn’t in sync and the pairs are constantly changing.

Our first line can’t score 5on5. Our 2nd line is auditioning right wings. The third line has alternating healthy scratches… but our 4th line has been one of the best lines in hockey.

As a team we’re ranked 29th in xG%. The power play is 18th. The PK is 13th which is better but man Colorado scored on them like they weren’t even there.

Lots of work to be done.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hard to know who/what this team is right now.

Our 2 losses came against the Stanley Cup champions but 2 of our 3 wins came against struggling teams.

Our goaltending has been inconsistent: Swayman is ranked 32nd (and Korpisalo 36) NHL Goalie Advanced Stats 2024-2025

Our defense isn’t in sync and the pairs are constantly changing.

Our first line can’t score 5on5. Our 2nd line is auditioning right wings. The third line has alternating healthy scratches… but our 4th line has been one of the best lines in hockey.

As a team we’re ranked 29th in xG%. The power play is 18th. The PK is 13th which is better but man Colorado scored on them like they weren’t even there.

Lots of work to be done.

I just want them to find ways to win while working out the kinks in their game.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Time to make some changes. 6 games in, a month since training camp opened. They are consistently outplayed in the top9, can't score 5on5. The first line is ranked 32nd in xG%.
How many Bruins players in the lineup tonight were on the team this time two years ago?

Marchand, Pastrnak, Zacha, Coyle, McAvoy, H.Lindholm, Carlo, Swayman, ... Frederic?

Maybe 9 players from two years ago.

That's what 4 maybe 5 forwards, 3 defenceman, and a goalie?

Everyone else is new.

Any wonder they look out of sync?

Because of such turn over it's going to take a while for the team to jell.

I think I read somewhere that the Bruins are in the top 10 or 12 of youngest teams in the league.

Speculation:
They may need a coach that stresses strong positional play and a disciplined team defensive structure rather than a freestyle up tempo transition game.
Sweeney has said he wants the up tempo transition game, but he doesn't currently have the horses to run that game.
Something has to change.

To make matters more difficult I think we have 1 true first line forward, 3 second line forwards, and 1 tweener (high 3rd line low 2nd line) forward. Everyone else are 3rd and 4th liners. That is part of the 5 on 5 problem. Now figure out the lines.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Time to make some changes. 6 games in, a month since training camp opened. They are consistently outplayed in the top9, can't score 5on5. The first line is ranked 32nd in xG%.
Old days you would probably get a deal to shake things up but teams don't operate like that. Team just isn't that talented I guess up front? Guess you need to give it some time, but they are less than dynamic for sure.

Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
If you think the 4th line is going to shoot at 30% all season I dunno what to tell you.

Marchand, Coyle, Frederic, Geekie, Brazeau, Poitras, Jones and Tufte have a combined 2 goals.
However, that's why you need to wait until 20 games in. If Coyle, Marchand, Zacha, Frederic and Geekie continue to significantly underperform production wise at G20, they will be a legit DNQ possibility. I don't see that lack of production happening and they will start playing better and win more consistently.

Might be worth it to put Koepke with 63 and 13 against Nashville. Keep Beecher with Kastelic.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Any ideas as to what you would do as a GM or as a Head Coach?
First shop Carlo for a top 6 forward. Second Marchand goes to 1LW, Zacha is not a top line player. Sit Geekie or trade him, bringing nothing right now and looks like what he has been his whole career except last season, 4th line player. Leach new head coach.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
First shop Carlo for a top 6 forward. Second Marchand goes to 1LW, Zacha is not a top line player. Sit Geekie or trade him, bringing nothing right now and looks like what he has been his whole career except last season, 4th line player. Leach new head coach.
You are right Carlo, would be the guy to trade he has a good, tradeable contract but what are you going to get in return that you will be able to fit in your cap. Zacha and Carlo might have the best contracts on the team and the players most teams would like to have, I am not for trading either one of them, but they are your best chips. I know I am being harsh for many to read this, but Marchand is no longer a top six player. Lindholm and Pasta have zero chemistry, Poitras belongs in Providence, where he can work on his game and develop. I suggest before any major trades no possible line changes should be ruled out, I have also been critical of the way Lysell has handled himself, but I think it is time to bring him up and let him play second ,third line for several games, and he make fine if not move on from him. I have other thoughts but, this is enough to piss many off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad