Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
No not really the discussion at all. Someone said they’d bring in wheeler and marchy said there’s no need because there’s already a ton of competition for the position.

Not debating the word competition. Debating the amount of competition or lack there of

Sure, that's worth a few pages of conversation.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I can easily see this middle six starting every game

Marchand-Coyle-Lysell
Frederic-Poitras-Geekie

With Geekie and Lysell switching for important defensive draws or when up late in the 3rd. Brazeau bumping up to line 3 and Lysell hidden on line 4

It's just the reality of line shuffling. Monty does it all the time .

Lysell will get the rookie treatment. He'll get his opportunities and learn what he needs to do play in all situations but when the game gets tight, Monty will lean on the vets.

Not super worried about it. I just want to see him have success when he does get those chances higher in the lineup. I think he'll shine offensively.

Not sure how that line works out.

All 3 guys want to carry the puck. Have also heard Marchand doesn't have much patience for rookies. It could still click I guess. Just seems like not enough pucks for all 3.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I love the complete 180 everyone has taken on Debrusk now it’s truly stunning. That’s besides the point though.

Yes geekie had one less point and he was 3rd line. Now Geekie moves up to you in this hypothetical and there’s an unknown commodity on the 3rd line not Debrusk.

Big difference between debrusk/geekie and geekie/(one of brazeau/lysell)
It's stunning? Fans like a guy when he's on their team and shit on them when they leave literally everyday, in every sport. It's not the least bit surprising, hell it happens every offseason here

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
DeBrusk was a guy people wanted assigned to Providence at times.

I think we'd take him over Peeke+Korpisalo but his deal might end up being a benchmark awful contract.

And every Bruins fan should be chest thumping what we did to Vancouver in the offseason. They gave up assets for 2 players at the deadline that punked them and refused to sign with them only so they could be Bruins instead. And have soft ass Heinen to go along with headcase JDB.

Noone is putting Geekie or Fredric into the allstar game but they are in their contract years and in their primes and should be great on the middle lines.
If Frederic gets DeBrusks ice time and power play time he scores 25G 50P probably a bit more. That moves Geekie to 3LW, Poitras 3C with Wheeler or Brazeau at 3RW.

The forwards might not be the 72 Bruins but they will score enough.

Last edited:

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I can easily see this middle six starting every game

Marchand-Coyle-Lysell
Frederic-Poitras-Geekie

With Geekie and Lysell switching for important defensive draws or when up late in the 3rd. Brazeau bumping up to line 3 and Lysell hidden on line 4

It's just the reality of line shuffling. Monty does it all the time .

Lysell will get the rookie treatment. He'll get his opportunities and learn what he needs to do play in all situations but when the game gets tight, Monty will lean on the vets.

Not super worried about it. I just want to see him have success when he does get those chances higher in the lineup. I think he'll shine offensively.
Is Brazeau a more reliable player then Lysell holding a 1 goal lead late in the game. I'd strap Brazeau to the bench. Granted at least in his rookie year Lysell will probably be right next to him if they are both on the team.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
If Frederic gets DeBrusks ice time and power play time he scores 25G 50P probably a bit more. That moves Geekie to 3LW, Poitras 3C with Wheeler or Brazeau at 3RW.

The forwards might not be the 72 Bruins but they will score enough.
There's a whole lotta "ifs" that have to come true with this group of forwards, for this year's team to match last year's offensive production. Let alone improve on it.

But at least we dropped $5.5mil on a Derek Forbort/Kevin Shattenkirk replacement.......so its all good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It's stunning? Fans like a guy when he's on their team and shit on them when they leave literally everyday, in every sport. It's not the least bit surprising, hell it happens every offseason here

Yes and it’s a poor reflection on those fans.

People over exaggerating a players worth for years because they were wearing your teams favorite jersey only to undermine his ability because he’s no longer wearing that same jersey is crazy.

Not saying that’s you or anyone in particular but yes it’s crazy that happens

Reactions: Gordoff

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yes and it’s a poor reflection on those fans.

People over exaggerating a players worth for years because they were wearing your teams favorite jersey only to undermine his ability because he’s no longer wearing that same jersey is crazy.

Not saying that’s you or anyone in particular but yes it’s crazy that happens
You're too kind, I'm sure I'm guilty of it too lol

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

As he helped hand out hundreds of backpacks, binders, and folders to students at TD Garden last week in anticipation of a new school year, Johnny Beecher acknowledged the painful reality that used to set in at this point on the calendar.

“It was always kind of crazy when you were a kid and you knew the school year was coming back up,” the Bruins forward said with a smile at the Garden’s Back-to-School Celebration. “You’d walk into Target with your mom, and they’d have the back-to-school stuff. You kind of just put your head down and realize that reality was coming back.”

Of course, returning to school wasn’t all that bad for Beecher — and he’s not just saying that because his mother, Natasha, still teaches high school English back home in New York.

For Beecher, 23, the start of the fall also marked the beginning of a new year with his closest friends, as well as the start of another season on the ice.

And in a similar vein, that sentiment still stands for Beecher and fellow second-year pro Mason Lohrei as they brace for another NHL season.

“I felt pretty good about my game in the playoffs,” said Lohrei, who also attended Thursday’s event. “And obviously there are still a bunch of things I want to work on. So I went into this summer just trying to address those — but that playoff run just made me a whole lot hungrier for what’s to come.”

Lohrei and Beecher were two of five players who made their NHL debuts with the Bruins in 2023-24, with Lohrei carving out a spot on the blue line and Beecher on the checking unit.

Those roles should continue to grow this fall, as both skaters cut their teeth, endured the expected growing pains, and navigated several treks to Providence as rookies.

“I think going into the season, not many people were really expecting me to make that opening night roster and make an impact,” Beecher said. “I was able to do that, which was huge for me and my confidence.

“And obviously there were some ups and downs. Got sent down there for a little bit, but I felt like I kind of handled everything really well. I spent my time in Providence working hard, put my head down, just got my game back to where it needed to be to come back up here and help the team out at the end of the season and going into playoffs. And I was able to do that.”

Lohrei, 23, who showcased his blend of size and playmaking skill on the blue line over 41 games, appears to be well ahead of his projected developmental timeline.

Once viewed as a long-term project as a 6-foot-5-inch offensive defenseman, Lohrei held his own against a forechecking juggernaut in the Panthers during the postseason, a promising springboard for what should be a full-time role this season.

Though Lohrei could start off in more of a third-pairing spot following the signing of fellow left-shot defenseman Nikita Zadorov, general manager Don Sweeney said in July that reps on the second power-play unit should be available for Lohrei out of the gate.

“It means a lot,” Lohrei said. “Definitely helps with confidence when you’re hearing that kind of stuff.

“It’ll be nice to hopefully get those opportunities, but it doesn’t mean anything if you don’t go out there and perform. So just focus on the little things and go out there and try to make the right plays.”

Lohrei’s emphasis this offseason has been tacking more muscle onto his frame in anticipation of heavier minutes, while Beecher’s focus has revolved around developing a more consistent game.

Beecher’s faceoff skills (54.6 percent), skating ability, and size (6-3, 216) all fit the mold of a fourth-liner with plenty of room to grow, especially alongside other big-bodied skaters such as Max Jones, Mark Kastelic, and Justin Brazeau.

“I feel like I’m just getting started,” Lohrei said. “Just continue every day, take it day by day, and just show up to the rink and get better and learn as much as I can. Just continue to gain confidence.

“I want to be a full-time NHLer, so that’s my goal for the season. I want to be a top defenseman.”

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Not sure how that line works out.

All 3 guys want to carry the puck. Have also heard Marchand doesn't have much patience for rookies. It could still click I guess. Just seems like not enough pucks for all 3.
I think Lysell makes a ton of sense up there. They need some offensive creativity and they need speed.

I think Lysell's playmaking skills would also be huge for that line. Coyle and Marchand could really benefit from someone else making plays around them.

My biggest worry is Marchand has kind of lost a step and he cant bring the puck up the ice every time. Coyle only holds the puck when he's cycling down low.

Lysell has transition ability. He's going to push the defense back and basically become another option on that line who can drive play.

Lysell has this reputation of being selfish but his on-ice game is anything but. He makes players around him better and I think you try to use that guy with players who share a higher talent level to get in the right spots and finish plays.

Reactions: HustleB

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think Lysell makes a ton of sense up there. They need some offensive creativity and they need speed.

I think Lysell's playmaking skills would also be huge for that line. Coyle and Marchand could really benefit from someone else making plays around them.

My biggest worry is Marchand has kind of lost a step and he cant bring the puck up the ice every time. Coyle only holds the puck when he's cycling down low.

Lysell has transition ability. He's going to push the defense back and basically become another option on that line who can drive play.

Lysell has this reputation of being selfish but his on-ice game is anything but. He makes players around him better and I think you try to use that guy with players who share a higher talent level to get in the right spots and finish plays.

Seems you are giving Lysell credit for a lot of things he's never done at the NHL level.

Is he really going to make veteran NHL players like Coyle and Marchand better? I doubt that.

We haven't even mentioned the defensive liability he may be.

It would be great for the Bruins if Lysell could step right into the 2nd line RW spot. Seems to me to be wishful thinking at this point.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I’m in the minority but I would put Marchand with Lindholm and Pasta . He can’t do the heavy lifting anymore. We saw it in the playoffs. He is still capable of dominating a game but he can’t do that consistently anymore .

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I’m in the minority but I would put Marchand with Lindholm and Pasta . He can’t do the heavy lifting anymore. We saw it in the playoffs. He is still capable of dominating a game but he can’t do that consistently anymore .
Marchand is definitely starting to slow down, but he's still objectively the 2nd best play driver behind Pasta and if take him off that 2nd line they will have trouble generating offense against top 6 matchups. Think you kinda need to keep those two separated.

I do think it is time to start reducing Marchand's workload though. He's entering his age 36 season, it's just not smart to have him play 19+ min a game where he's playing PK1, PP1, AND getting really hard shutdown minutes at 5v5.

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I don’t disagree but Zacha - Coyle - Lysell seems concerning as a second line. Maybe we make that the third line and Frederic - Poitras - Geekie is line 2. At the end of the day I leave Marchand on line 2 until we prove there is another 2nd line that can provide offense.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I’d support Freddy getting a bump to L2
Marchand-Coyle-Freddy didn't play a ton together last season, but in the minutes they did play (~60 min between the regular season and playoffs) they had 4 GF and 0 GA with very good underlying numbers despite mostly getting dzone starts. If Lysell doesn't make the push the team seems to want him to make in camp that's probably the line they should go with.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Marchand-Coyle-Freddy didn't play a ton together last season, but in the minutes they did play (~60 min between the regular season and playoffs) they had 4 GF and 0 GA with very good underlying numbers despite mostly getting dzone starts. If Lysell doesn't make the push the team seems to want him to make in camp that's probably the line they should go with.
I like that line very much. I do think it makes the third line more of a dilemma. I’ve spent the whole offseason believing Lysell could not play with Poitras. I think Brazeau shouldn’t either. The third player on this line needs to be reliable defensively playing with a young center. Maybe Jones or Kastelic or even Beecher could step up.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I like that line very much. I do think it makes the third line more of a dilemma. I’ve spent the whole offseason believing Lysell could not play with Poitras. I think Brazeau shouldn’t either. The third player on this line needs to be reliable defensively playing with a young center. Maybe Jones or Kastelic or even Beecher could step up.
Geekie? I guess he’s your second in that scenario

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Seems you are giving Lysell credit for a lot of things he's never done at the NHL level.

Is he really going to make veteran NHL players like Coyle and Marchand better? I doubt that.

We haven't even mentioned the defensive liability he may be.

It would be great for the Bruins if Lysell could step right into the 2nd line RW spot. Seems to me to be wishful thinking at this point.
I posted less than 24hrs ago how he would likely be bumped down to the bottom six for a reliable player like Geekie during late game situations and important defensive draws. It happens to most rookies learning the NHL game.

I feel like people forget, Lysell was going to get a call-up late in the year but got injured. They have to feel like he is ready and not signing a single top nine forward to compete after losing Debrusk, Heinen, and JVR doesn't give us many options.

Regarding making Marchand and Coyle better players....its not unheard of. Rookies make an impact in lineups all over the league. Especially Lysell being a playmaking winger could certainly create opportunities for them.

I know it's been 7 years since we developed a top six forward, so maybe a lot of us don't think it's possible but Debrusk was given a spot next to Krejci his age 21 year. It worked out alright for us.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Geekie? I guess he’s your second in that scenario
So I did realize that I lost a player in the shuffle. I do think we could go with Marchand on line 1 though it’s not quite my preference.

Zacha/Frederic-Coyle-Lysell
Frederic/Zacha-Poitras-Geekie

I think this would work but I like the depth better with Zacha up top and Marchand anchoring line 2.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I posted less than 24hrs ago how he would likely be bumped down to the bottom six for a reliable player like Geekie during late game situations and important defensive draws. It happens to most rookies learning the NHL game.

I feel like people forget, Lysell was going to get a call-up late in the year but got injured. They have to feel like he is ready and not signing a single top nine forward to compete after losing Debrusk, Heinen, and JVR doesn't give us many options.

Regarding making Marchand and Coyle better players....its not unheard of. Rookies make an impact in lineups all over the league. Especially Lysell being a playmaking winger could certainly create opportunities for them.

I know it's been 7 years since we developed a top six forward, so maybe a lot of us don't think it's possible but Debrusk was given a spot next to Krejci his age 21 year. It worked out alright for us.

What is Elias Lindholm?

ZamboniGoalie

Jan 4, 2024
I love the new additions to this team. I think it's going to be a fun year. But here's a trade that I've been mulling over in my head. Maybe I'm dumb but wondering what you all think.
I'm a humongeous Brady Tkachuk fan and all I want is to see him in a B's uniform. The battle with Florida would be epic and I think this would definitely be a top tier cup contender.

B's send Swayman, Zacha, Frederic and 1st in 2025 to Ottawa
Sens send Brady Tkachuk and a 2nd in 2025 to Boston

First off, is that too much?? Not enough?

then here's my projected lineup. (I didn't figure out the exact cap number but off the top of my head this should work and we'd have a couple Million in cap space when completed):

Tkachuk Poitras Pasta
Marchand Lindholm Lysell
Jones Coyle Geekie
Beecher Kastelic Brazzeau
Tufte

Zadorov McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Lohrei Peeke
Wotherspoon

Korpisalo
Bussi

I know a lot of people aren't going to like Korpisalo as the starter, but with that team in front of him, some coaching and guidance by goalie Bob and some hard work, I think maybe that tandem would be fine.

Let me know what you all think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad