Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They are both RH shots and stamkos spent his whole career where Pastas spot is on the PP.

He wouldn’t be as effective on his offside. You’d be taking away his biggest threat, his 1 timer.

Would be like getting Holmstrom or Andreychuk and putting them on the elbow.

I feel the same about the Laine talk.

Just put Stamkos in the bumper spot. Same with Laine. They are still receiving pass on their "off-side". Both are arguably two of the best natural shooters the sport has ever seen and have more shots in their toolbox than just a big one-timer. Reinhart just scored nearly 60 and a lot of them are just quick release snappers and one-touch wristers from the bumper and Laine or Stamkos are every bit the shooter Reinhart is.

And the PP used more movement this past year and tried not to be so stationary. When Pasta carries the puck or drifts over to the right-wing side, Stamkos/Laine slide out to the one-timer position.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
You have to think that Sweeney has to get in this years draft some how. To wait till the fourth round is crazy.
Who or what would you move to get a second or third round pick ,and what would be the sense either giving up a current roster player or a prospect that Sweeeney has lost faith in,but another team might still have some?

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
Marino is a fine player, but why does every trade have to include Carlo, he is young, on a solid contract, and yeah, he is a good player. I would not trade Carlo, unless you are vastly improving your team. Marino and some of these other names being thrown about, sorry not helping getting better.
So well said, same with Lohrei. They are supposed to keep the good ones!

Reactions: G Backup

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Just put Stamkos in the bumper spot. Same with Laine. They are still receiving pass on their "off-side". Both are arguably two of the best natural shooters the sport has ever seen and have more shots in their toolbox than just a big one-timer. Reinhart just scored nearly 60 and a lot of them are just quick release snappers and one-touch wristers from the bumper and Laine or Stamkos are every bit the shooter Reinhart is.

And the PP used more movement this past year and tried not to be so stationary. When Pasta carries the puck or drifts over to the right-wing side, Stamkos/Laine slide out to the one-timer position.
I thought about that too, but the bumper role has a lot of support to it, a lot of one-touch passing, a lot of tips and net front play. There's a lot more to that role than just shooting one-timers.

I think if a guy like Laine was on the team that would be the place to play him but I would expect a him to go from 12 PP goals on the elbow (his career avg) to 6 from the bumper. Bergeron was the best bumper in the game and he averaged 8 PP goals from there. And if Laine drops 6 goals a year, then he goes from being a 30 goal scorer to a 20 goal scorer... And are you paying him like a 30g guy or a 20g guy... Just seems like they're not good fits, role-wise, salary-wise.
Just my $.02

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Who or what would you move to get a second or third round pick ,and what would be the sense either giving up a current roster player or a prospect that Sweeeney has lost faith in,but another team might still have some?

The obvious answers here are Lysell and Merkulov. I like Merk, if he was better at Wing than Center, I think he'd be on the roster next year, but seems he is a much better center, and I don't believe the Bruins see him as a C here. If there was a team that did see him as a C and decided to come to Boston with an offer of picks, I could see Boston making a move , especially if they happen to have someone on their board they really like in the 2nd. Merk will be 24 at the start of the season, and this is the last year he will have waiver eligibility.

Lysell of course is the other option. I really don't know how boston views him, but I do believe it is likely that some of Diver's comments come from internal Boston sources. Obviously he has shown he can play at the AHL level. Is there some other org that really likes him?

I don't expect the Bruins to make a deal to acquire a pick today, on the other hand, I wouldn't be even the tiniest bit shocked if they moved either player in a deal

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I thought about that too, but the bumper role has a lot of support to it, a lot of one-touch passing, a lot of tips and net front play. There's a lot more to that role than just shooting one-timers.

I think if a guy like Laine was on the team that would be the place to play him but I would expect a him to go from 12 PP goals on the elbow (his career avg) to 6 from the bumper. Bergeron was the best bumper in the game and he averaged 8 PP goals from there. And if Laine drops 6 goals a year, then he goes from being a 30 goal scorer to a 20 goal scorer... And are you paying him like a 30g guy or a 20g guy... Just seems like they're not good fits, role-wise, salary-wise.
Just my $.02

I have no doubt Stamkos can do all of that. Laine too.

The overall fit I don't really know. I know I take either guy over everyone's darling Elias Lindholm. We don't know what Stamkos is looking for. I wouldn't rule out him or Laine just because of where Pastrnak plays on the PP.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
If Sweeney can get EL for this price, Oh happy Canada Day.
Buyer Beware: Five players to be wary of overpaying as UFAs

Part of the fun of NHL free agency is seeing which teams hand out instantly regrettable contracts. Here are five players who could cause a serious case of buyer’s remorse.

All contract projections are courtesy of AFP Analytics.
Trade tracker
Elias Lindholm
Position: Centre
Previous team: Vancouver Canucks
Contract projection: Five years, approximately $6.8 million annual cap hit

This year’s crop of free-agent centres lacks star power, which bodes well for Lindholm’s bank account. It is possible Lindholm gets paid like a No. 1 centre, which he has not been for a few years.

Since losing Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk on his wings after the 2021-22 season, Lindholm has become less and less of a needle-mover. He ranked 107th this season in offence-generating plays per 20 minutes out of 391 forwards who played at least 500 minutes. That is down from two years ago, when he was 61st out of 402 qualified forwards in the same category.

In simple terms, Lindholm has not been doing much to help his team score goals, which is part of being a highly paid centre. (Lindholm had 23 points at 5-on-5 in 75 games this past season — the same amount as Canucks teammate Teddy Blueger, who just signed a two-year contract with a $1.8 million annual cap hit.)

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Spitballing here but the lack os a Swayman signing could be the reason they picked up Korpi? Insurance in case the negotiations drag out?
I think it makes sense to have an NHL goalie on the roster for negotiations, I don’t think they want to go into the season with Korpisalo, but at least it’s a tiny bit of leverage.

I mean this from a Bruins front office perspective, not my own. I just want them to sign Sway.

Reactions: lopey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That would take him to 42 so a we don’t have the money to pay you right now,but we will pay you for when you’re probably not going to be playing later ?

They could have been wanting to front load the deal in real money, but stretch it out over 8yrs to keep the AAV low. So for the first say 4yrs 80% of his total contract (in real money) would have been paid out. Assuming 8yr / $3 million, that's $24 million. Years 1-4 he'd be paid out $19.2 million and years 5-8 the remaining $4.8 million. If the absolute worst happened and they needed to move him in any of those 5-8 years, he's a $3 million hit with an average of roughly $1.2 million in real money owed. Wouldn't at all be a hard contract to dump off.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
That would take him to 42 so a we don’t have the money to pay you right now,but we will pay you for when you’re probably not going to be playing later ?
I was thinking it would be a golden parachute situation where when he was ready to retire, they would buy him out so they would have a relatively low penalty, but he would get paid six or seven years into his retirement. It was also a clever way to try to circumvent the cap. if Stamos wants 28 million out of this last contract then instead of giving him $6m for 3 years they set it up so he would get paid what he wants just over a longer timeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00