Prospect Info: 2025 NHL Entry Draft

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Can’t believe they did away with one of the things the NHL does better then the other leagues.
Didn't make for a marketable spectacle like the NFL draft does. Large audiences didn't want to stare at a broadcast showing the draft floor and all the stuffy executive types.

A darn shame, really. For those of us who liked watching it the NHL draft was by far the best of the bunch. I don't care about the players, show me the behind-the-scenes!

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
the same thing they do at the nfl and nba drafts.
I don't have any interest in the NFL or NBA but I think the NHL draft is more compelling when you can see the GM's talking to each other and being intereviewed. Otherwise, it is just teenagers that most people have never heard of outside of the top few picks.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
I don't have any interest in the NFL or NBA but I think the NHL draft is more compelling when you can see the GM's talking to each other and being intereviewed. Otherwise, it is just teenagers that most people have never heard of outside of the top few picks.
This is the thing... You are exactly right. It's what makes the hockey draft good. The baseball draft hasn't even been mentioned here, but without the trade stuff, the NHL draft is basically a half step above MLB as far as draft entertainment goes.

Like baseball, hockey has maybe a few guys anyone has heard of and most of them are several years away from making the league. At least hockey let's you trade picks, is only 7 rounds, and you could have watched the GMs work on trades.

The NFL and NBA have so many trades, you've heard of the players through the first 3-4 rounds of the NFL draft and most of the entire NBA draft. You've seen them play, and they contribute right away.

At least there is now talk of going back to the in-person draft in the future.

Reactions: tomd

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Maybe the Sennecke moment being unexpectedly drafted #3 OA and being welcomed by the Ducks staff re-ignited the spark for in-person drafts. It also helped that the draft was held at the Sphere in Vegas.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
This is the thing... You are exactly right. It's what makes the hockey draft good. The baseball draft hasn't even been mentioned here, but without the trade stuff, the NHL draft is basically a half step above MLB as far as draft entertainment goes.

Like baseball, hockey has maybe a few guys anyone has heard of and most of them are several years away from making the league. At least hockey let's you trade picks, is only 7 rounds, and you could have watched the GMs work on trades.

The NFL and NBA have so many trades, you've heard of the players through the first 3-4 rounds of the NFL draft and most of the entire NBA draft. You've seen them play, and they contribute right away.

At least there is now talk of going back to the in-person draft in the future.
Exactly. Fans have watched most of the NBA and NFL prospects on TV playing in college for 1-4 years prior to being drafted. The players have visibility and will play in the pros right away. Heck, some even have paid sponsorships in college now! The NHL draft is indeed very much like baseball...anonymous teenagers who are years away from playing in the league...if ever.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Exactly the future top 6 despite having size and skill lacks any aggressiveness (power forward,big hitting)

Another left shot unfortunately but otherwise an early favourite for this draft. Looks like he'll be a wicked support winger, the type of skilled grinder who wins battles, plays in all the dirty areas and really gets after it on the forecheck. We'll need some of that to compliment the skill guys. Teammate of Tarin Smith, so our scouts will already be plenty familiar

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad