2025 NHL Draft Thread

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Watching the Hlinka Gretzky in Edmonton, there is plenty of reason for optimism for the 25 draft. The Hawks should continue to get some great players through the draft.

This McKenna kid is going to be a generational talent. He is so much better than anyone at the tournament. I can't imagine the Hawks are anywhere close to getting him in 26 unless they win the lottery

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
This McKenna kid is going to be a generational talent. He is so much better than anyone at the tournament. I can't imagine the Hawks are anywhere close to getting him in 26 unless they win the lottery

He is insane. I think he's going to be McDavid level. Bedard is an insane talent and his cousin might be even better than he is.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Not sure. He's a decent bit older than Bedard was at the same point and Bedard outscored him in a lower scoring WHL on a way worse team. Medicine Hat is absolutely stacked.

I don't think either reach McDavid anyway. CHL numbers aside, McDavid was always a way more unique talent.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Desnoyers has stood out a ton, has everything we need in a top 6 center big, physical, aggressive, and has been incredible on draws. Other guys that I’ve liked so far are Travis Hayes, Brady Martin, Jackson Smith and Matthew Lansing for US and Canada teams

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Desnoyers has stood out a ton, has everything we need in a top 6 center big, physical, aggressive, and has been incredible on draws. Other guys that I’ve liked so far are Travis Hayes, Brady Martin, Jackson Smith and Matthew Lansing for US and Canada teams

Corey Crawford's Jr Team .

Grant McCagg commented this would complete the Habs prospect pool . I kind of feel the same when i hear the comments about this kid in terms of Blackhawks prospect pool. He sounds like a similar (more finished ) version of Sasha Boisvert . Having Sasha and Caleb would be sweet , both guys are what we need . Grit, Size , Speed and talent .

Last edited:
Reactions: ChicagoHockeyFan

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Wheeler's projected 1st round and even honorable mention section is a nice fit for the Hawks weaknesses and strengths. 5 RHD in the top 19, 6 in the 1st round, and 4 more in the honorble mention section should help push other players toward the Hawk choices as I can't see a RHD being a big priority with Levshunov and Rinzel in the system with Jones signed for quite a while. Where the Hawks need some help, forwards with some size, there are 10 first rounders 6'1+ and another handful 6'0+. Should be some good option with one or both of the 1st rounders to add some size to the forward mix.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
After watching the Hlinka, Matthew Schaefer might be a legit contender for #1 oa. He has the full package. If we go defense again, he should be a target

He's very promising. That is one kid it doesn't matter what hand he shoots. Probably the only D I would even consider at the moment (make no mistake, this class is weaker on D compared to this past draft).

But I highly doubt we go D at all. Maybe after the 1st or 2nd round. THIS is the year you get that top 6 forward talent on this team.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He's very promising. That is one kid it doesn't matter what hand he shoots. Probably the only D I would even consider at the moment (make no mistake, this class is weaker on D compared to this past draft).

But I highly doubt we go D at all. Maybe after the 1st or 2nd round. THIS is the year you get that top 6 forward talent on this team.
As much as I want that, still have to go BPA

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Think its a little early to be talking about Schaefer at 1.01. He had a great tournament and I really like the kid but need to see his season for Erie. He's one of the youngest players in this draft year and a leader, easy to like.

I'm less on the BPA train than I have been in the past. Taking another LD in the Top 7 wouldn't make sense to me. Less opportunities to go around and I think you can stagnate the growth of a player that way. A player needs to have runway to grow into the player he can become and if you have 6 LD that can all play NHL minutes I just think you're not providing the players the best environment to grow.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm less on the BPA train than I have been in the past. Taking another LD in the Top 7 wouldn't make sense to me. Less opportunities to go around and I think you can stagnate the growth of a player that way. A player needs to have runway to grow into the player he can become and if you have 6 LD that can all play NHL minutes I just think you're not providing the players the best environment to grow.
The point is that you draft assets, not players.

Instead of looking at it as Best Player Available, look at is as Most Valuable Player Available.

They kind of actually did that with Lev, due to the position he plays.

While your point is true, if you don't have the space to develop a prospect properly because there's a logjam, that means you can trade from a position of strength in order to fill a hole elsewhere.

Reactions: Drumman44

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
There will be some great players in the top 10 which I would assume Chicago will be selecting:

Hagens
Schaefer
Martone
Frondell
Hensler
Misa
Desnoyer
McQueen
Spence
Ryabkin

Schaefer is elite for sure. Hamilton from Canada is one kid who didn't get much love.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
After watching the Hlinka, Matthew Schaefer might be a legit contender for #1 oa. He has the full package. If we go defense again, he should be a target

Hawk fans may lose their minds, but f*** it, I’d consider taking Schaefer if he projects as a true difference making 1D.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Martone, Misa and McQueen are my favorites of the top forwards not named Hagens.
Desnoyer might be one of those guys who will grow on you by the end of the season. He has a lot of the tools that make up a quality two-way NHLer—speed, skill, and size.

Schmidt is another good player who can fly. He played well alongside McKenna, so you know the kid has a brain for the game too.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Would be fine with Schaefer at this point as long as it’s not at 1 then we go with Hagens pretty easily. I don’t think our current LD prospects are good enough to hold back Schaefer he would be the clear future 1LD

Reactions: HawksDub89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad