Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Shit we running the table this year

25.jpg

Reactions: Mrfenn92

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Sharks are the only team that are clearly worse than us on paper.

We are in a tier with Flames Ducks Montreal and Blue Jackets after that.

top 6 pick IMO

I would love Hagens Frondell Martone or Mcqueen at this point. Ryabkin after that.
Misa belongs in that group too. Kind of surprising how little shine he's getting at this point for an Exceptional Status kid who has more or less lived up to the billing

Reactions: HawksDub89

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Misa belongs in that group too. Kind of surprising how little shine he's getting at this point for an Exceptional Status kid who has more or less lived up to the billing
He was a borderline ES kid (good enough to still go 1st in OHL Priority) that they likely gave it to because he was rumored to be interested in the Chicago Steel tender -> University of Michigan path. Good prospect but I don't think quite at that level of "shine" where I think Hagens and Frondell are more deserving of hype at this point. Probably Martone too after the U-18s he just had.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
He was a borderline ES kid (good enough to still go 1st in OHL Priority) that they likely gave it to because he was rumored to be interested in the Chicago Steel tender -> University of Michigan path. Good prospect but I don't think quite at that level of "shine" where I think Hagens and Frondell are more deserving of hype at this point. Probably Martone too after the U-18s he just had.
I get why those guys are frontrunners for sure but I've seen him ranked by Pronman, for example, as low as 8th. He broke McDavid's points per game record for an OHL 15 year old and had a good 2nd year despite his playing time dropping on a team that loaded up to host the Memorial Cup. I'm not necessarily saying he's going to push for #1 but he certainly belongs in the early conversation for elite players in the class.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The improvements made mean that we have a legitimate NHL roster now, but it’s still a bad one. They’ll pick in or around the top 5 still
The beauty of it is there are 2 halves of the season. I will venture to say this team (if Hall and other vets stay remotely healthy) will play strong for the first 40 plus games, meaning better than expected by most. Does this group have the legs to last the entire grind? Doubtful and the likelihood is a number of the vets will be traded off at or before the deadline. We will see some competitive hockey for stretches but the 2nd half of the season is where this team will settle back in and pick in that 5-10 range imo. This team isn't as bad as some are hoping for, but KD has the power to make sure by the end of the year we do get a solid pick.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The beauty of it is there are 2 halves of the season. I will venture to say this team (if Hall and other vets stay remotely healthy) will play strong for the first 40 plus games, meaning better than expected by most. Does this group have the legs to last the entire grind? Doubtful and the likelihood is a number of the vets will be traded off at or before the deadline. We will see some competitive hockey for stretches but the 2nd half of the season is where this team will settle back in and pick in that 5-10 range imo. This team isn't as bad as some are hoping for, but KD has the power to make sure by the end of the year we do get a solid pick.
I was thinking about that too, but would it look bad to sign all these UFA deals and then flip them at the deadline?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I was thinking about that too, but would it look bad to sign all these UFA deals and then flip them at the deadline?
I would imagine any veteran who signs a 1-2 year deal here is hoping they get flipped. They know by coming here they have a chance at more ice time/opportunity to get one more run for a cup somewhere else. They get to be leaders here then if playing well enough, dealt to a contender which I am sure they all would want. This is a win/win for the team and those players. It is why these guys sign here and have the past few years imo.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I would imagine any veteran who signs a 1-2 year deal here is hoping they get flipped. They know by coming here they have a chance at more ice time/opportunity to get one more run for a cup somewhere else. They get to be leaders here then if playing well enough, dealt to a contender which I am sure they all would want. This is a win/win for the team and those players. It is why these guys sign here and have the past few years imo.
Solid. I wonder how many retention slots we have left. Let me just go check Capgeek...DAMNIT

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

Some big right handed defensemen in the teens in Carter Amico (6'5", 205) and Radim Mrtka (6'6, 198). Wouldn't be surprised if they continue to add to the right side pool.

I'm kinda surprised to see Lynden Lakovic ranked 84th after seeing him in some top 32 lists already.

Cole Reschny just seems like he'll be another small player who ends up being pushed down due to size, but ends up being a DeBrincat/Stankoven-level prospect.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
we have 3 spots and right now its only mcabe, donato, maroon, smith don't need rentention really. the best way to get value on a retention slot is either on a really good player. Hall if he is healthy or on a player with multiple years. So I would think murph and hall make the most sense. there were so many teams that had space and slots last year you can find someone to retain on a contract on a one year deal pretty cheap. what ever cap space you have to start the year it roughly Quads so tons of teams have space. plus some have players on LTIR with space. my guess is for AA, Martinez. we could get someone to retain for 5th if we used up our slots. as rebuilding team i would actively try and retain on 2 or even 3 year deals. lets say Mzarek goes all world next year and our backup is very good. what would 1.25 years of mzarek get you at 50% retention. my point is the cost to dump contracts dropped the last few off seasons and the cost to have a 3rd party retain on 1 year deals is going to as well,

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
AD - how do you rate the Hawks for next year against the other likely non-P/O teams:

Hawks very likely better than: SJ
Likely equivelent to: ANA, CGY, PHI
Likely a little worse than: CLM, MON
Very likely worse than: UTA, SEA, OTT, NJ, BUF

Unless there is some bad lottery luck (or Bedard goes absolulely bat-shyte crazy), I don't see the Hawks being any better than that top 5/6.

Reactions: Wally1112pac

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
AD - how do you rate the Hawks for next year against the other likely non-P/O teams:

Hawks very likely better than: SJ
Likely equivelent to: ANA, CGY, PHI
Likely a little worse than: CLM, MON
Very likely worse than: UTA, SEA, OTT, NJ, BUF

Unless there is some bad lottery luck (or Bedard goes absolulely bat-shyte crazy), I don't see the Hawks being any better than that top 5/6.
Personally feel the Hawks on paper are better than most every team listed there except NJ and Buff. All those teams have flaws, injuries can impact them even greater...there are a few of those teams trying to crash down for tanks while we at least are trying to move forward. I just don't see this Hawks team inside the top 5 unless the goalies get hurt and we trade the vets away very early. We are going to see some really bad hockey teams this year imo.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Just feel like there are a couple young teams who underperformed last year that are primed progression (MON, OTT, CLM) and who are highly motivated. There are also a couple teams in SEA and UTA who made significant additions.

Reactions: Crow

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The biggest difference will/should/god damn better be that we don't have the worst offense in the league next year. Hopefully Bedard is a PPG+ player next season but in general I think we score more than 179 goals.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Just feel like there are a couple young teams who underperformed last year that are primed progression (MON, OTT, CLM) and who are highly motivated. There are also a couple teams in SEA and UTA who made significant additions.
It's very possible, hard to call it either way right now. Never underestimate a group of motivated veterans that have been brought in to help the youth here. Our goaltending isn't going to be a weakness either, this team is going to win more games in the first half than many believe imo...health for the Hawks is a major factor of course, we aren't deep to sustain many injuries. I am also optimistic overall so take that with a grain of salt lol. But a number of those teams listed have many issues/holes that can either put them below us or right with us. I don't think the gap will be that wide between the bottom 5-6 teams this year.

Utah needs to make a statement for their new fans, but just not seeing it yet- maybe in 2 years though they did add some solid pieces to their defense (so did we)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad