Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] D Brock Faber signs extension with the Wild (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Exact same situation as Sanderson, which I was against.

Would rather much have him go out and earn his cap hit than be given the cap hit, with all the criticism that comes with it.

You have a risk at them both not living up to that contract, to what? Save a million and a bit if he pops off?

If he goes out and plays the same way defensively and puts up 60 points on a 2 year deal to give me more of a sample size I’d gladly him do that and give him 9.5-10.

They are risking a player becoming a 4-5m player being paid 8.5 for the advantage that he might be a 9-9.5m player getting paid 8.5.

Risk vs reward isn’t there for me, if he goes out and wins a Norris how much are you really even saving by offering him this?

I guess it’s mitigated by the fact that he pretty much already is at 6-7m effectiveness and the cap is going up. This deal works because I’m really high on Faber but still.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
He's the type of defender that you secure because he eats big minutes and isn't remotely a black hole offensively. All situations on every top pair averaging 24:58 TOI. I can see why they locked him down for that price, budding #1 RHD like him are absolutely a premium in this league. Showed flashes of that this year but the Wild were very volatile at times and he is still very young for defensemen playing those minutes in this league

He will be under scrutiny during his sophomore season next year due to this signing, but I would bet he's going to be excellent for a long long time in this league. I think the contract is going to be more than friendly as the cap continues to go up

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
For reference:

Jake Sanderson signed for $8.05M per year x 8 years after 1 season of 4g + 28a.

Owen Power signed for $8.35M per year x 7 years after 1 season of 4g + 31a.

Faber just had 1 season of 8g + 39a and was the teams' #1 defenseman.

It's what the market for locking up young elite (or soon-to-be elite) defenseman long-term currently is. Even probably a bit of a discount too.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Faber played dam near 25 minutes a night on average as a rookie and didn’t look out of place.

Must also consider Faber didn’t have Spurgeon to lean back on and took on more minutes in Jared’s absence.

$8.5mil per is a great deal for Minnesota as Faber should get even better with more experience.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Would rather much have him go out and earn his cap hit than be given the cap hit, with all the criticism that comes with it.

You have a risk at them both not living up to that contract, to what? Save a million and a bit if he pops off?

If he goes out and plays the same way defensively and puts up 60 points on a 2 year deal to give me more of a sample size I’d gladly him do that and give him 9.5-10.

They are risking a player becoming a 4-5m player being paid 8.5 for the advantage that he might be a 9-9.5m player getting paid 8.5.

Risk vs reward isn’t there for me, if he goes out and wins a Norris how much are you really even saving by offering him this?
I don't see a scenario where a player like Faber turns into a 4-5m player.

Downside is probably like a 7M guy, upside is north of 10M. I think it's more likely that he's worth more than 8.5 than less over the term of this contract.
I guess it’s mitigated by the fact that he pretty much already is at 6-7m effectiveness and the cap is going up. This deal works because I’m really high on Faber but still.
Based on his play last year he's probably worth $9M+. He was a #1 defenseman.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Hopefully it’s not a Darnell Nurse signing but that’s quite a lot of cash for someone who hasn’t had a long time in the league.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Dahlin got 11 million after his 3 year bridge deal.

Cap is rising so let's say Brock Faber signs a 2 year 5 million dollar bridge.

Faber if he improves on his performance would be looking at possibly 12 or 13 million a year.

I think saving 4 million a year is worth it.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Dahlin got 11 million after his 3 year bridge deal.

Cap is rising so let's say Brock Faber signs a 2 year 5 million dollar bridge.

Faber if he improves on his performance would be looking at possibly 12 or 13 million a year.

I think saving 4 million a year is worth it.

There’s almost zero chance of that happening.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I get there's a risk, but some of the pushback is strange. The methods to get value contracts are to:

1) Sign young NHLers with elite upside before they've fully established themselves (betting on future value over past performance).
2) Sign undervalued players.
3) Trade for value contracts (whether or not due to retention).
4) Get Vets to take discounts to sign with you.

The first two are easier than the latter two and the first is by far the best way to actually build a core and to get a good contract with lots of term.

Faber was REALLY good in his rookie season, and arguably should have won the Calder. Locking him up long term, before the cap rises and for his prime makes all the sense in the world. The biggest issue with these kinds of deals is not everyone is willing to sign them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad