2025 NHL Draft: Lose a ton for Porter Martone

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Martone 22 points in 10 games
Hagens 5 points in 4 games

Yes the NCAA is a harder league to score in but not literally twice as hard. There's no justification for taking the smaller less productive forward.

The real debate should be Martone vs. Schaefer. Schaefer is 6'2 and guaranteed to be a dman at the next level while Hagens is not guaranteed to play C.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
No bad choices for SJS this year in the top 4. Either Hagens or Misa to be 2C behind Celebrini, Martone to be a 1W power-forward, or Schaefer to be an all-situations 1LD.

Eklund-Celebrini-Smith
X-Hagens/Misa-X

Or

Eklund-Celebrini-Martone
X-Smith-X

Or

Schaefer-X
Dickinson-X

I'm very high on Schaefer, I think he has Norris potential. Turning down another 1C, or a rare 1W like Martone is really tough, but I think it's important to draft a top D man before you become too good to be picking in the top 5. Makes the timelines match up better, and Schaefer is special.

No bad choices, I think there's a good reason to choose any of the 4. I think it's probable that SJS will be in lottery contention next year, so maybe McKenna is on the table as well, but I would be very surprised if you guys are still lottery contenders for the 2027 draft, I think you'll be moving out of the basement by then.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Eklund-Celebrini-Smith
X-Hagens/Misa-X
This strikes me as too small of a top six to win in the current NHL. Maybe the next move is to trade Eklund for a defenseman but that projected lineup won't work in the long run.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Lets say we get Schaefer imagine a top 6 of

Eklund-Celebrini-McKenna
Musty-Smith-Chernyshov

with
Dupont-Dickinson
Schaefer-xxx

Askarov

after we lose the 2026 and 2027 lottos.
DuPont’s stats for a 15 year old are insane. Not saying he’s the next Bobby Orr, but quite a talent…

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I hope the Sharks are too good to draft DuPont but that kid looks so good.
Tons of time for anything to happen, wouldn't be the first time a crazy good player petered out between 15 and 18, but as of now he looks like an insane talent that any team in the league would drool over.

Even if we are still bad, chances are we won't get to draft him, but that's the kind of player that puts any team over the top, if he keeps his trajectory.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Tons of time for anything to happen, wouldn't be the first time a crazy good player petered out between 15 and 18, but as of now he looks like an insane talent that any team in the league would drool over.

Even if we are still bad, chances are we won't get to draft him, but that's the kind of player that puts any team over the top, if he keeps his trajectory.
Here is to hoping we finish 11th and win the lottery in 2027, our last lottery before becoming the best team of the 2030s in the NHL!

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This strikes me as too small of a top six to win in the current NHL. Maybe the next move is to trade Eklund for a defenseman but that projected lineup won't work in the long run.
The 2019-2022 Tampa Bay Lightning are the best team of the salary cap era, they won a President's Trophy, 2 Stanley Cups and 1 more Prince of Wales trophy, they did not have a single top-6 forward bigger than 6'1"

Your obsession with size is both stale and inaccurate, talent matters far more than size,

Auston Matthews is 6'3" and plays like a wimp, Brayden Point is 5'11" and plays like a warrior, this is lazy player evaluation at best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad