2024 World U17 Hockey Challenge

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Had to check.. Dravecky is 16. He was good enough for Hlinka but not the U17????
I believe this is 08 births (or later). Dravecky is a December 07 (similar to Gavin McKenna), so despite not being 17 yet, I think this is his Age 17 season for these sorts of purposes. So he is not eligible.

The World Juniors makes this the simplest because it straddles the New Year so the December 31/January 1 cutoff "feels" right. The Hlinka is the most confusing imo because it occurs over the Summer and is a U18 tournament so almost half the field are players that will be starting their "U18" (i.e., age 17) season that have not had their 17th birthday yet (i.e., are still 16) which "feels like" they're playing up.

Indeed, the IIHF U18 and Hlinka U18 tournament are only a few months apart, but cover different age groups because the IIHF U18 is at the end of the previous hockey season (April-May) and the Hlinka (August 2024) is at the beginning of the next one. It would almost clarify things better if they phrased the tournament in terms of the Hockey season covered, i.e., the 2023-24 IIHF U18 Tournament and 2024-25 Gretzy Hlinka Cup because referring to them as both "2024" would seemingly imply it would cover the same age group.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I believe this is 08 births (or later). Dravecky is a December 07 (similar to Gavin McKenna), so despite not being 17 yet, I think this is his Age 17 season for these sorts of purposes. So he is not eligible.

The World Juniors makes this the simplest because it straddles the New Year so the December 31/January 1 cutoff "feels" right. The Hlinka is the most confusing imo because it occurs over the Summer and is a U18 tournament so almost half the field are players that will be starting their "U18" (i.e., age 17) season that have not had their 17th birthday yet (i.e., are still 16) which "feels like" they're playing up.

Indeed, the IIHF U18 and Hlinka U18 tournament are only a few months apart, but cover different age groups because the IIHF U18 is at the end of the previous hockey season (April-May) and the Hlinka (August 2024) is at the beginning of the next one. It would almost clarify things better if they phrased the tournament in terms of the Hockey season covered, i.e., the 2023-24 IIHF U18 Tournament and 2024-25 Gretzy Hlinka Cup because referring to them as both "2024" would seemingly imply it would cover the same age group.
Thanks for this. Makes sense about Dravecky. Kind of funny if he left Slovak hockey to play for Czechs and they left him off. So then I wonder about the other Slovak we were given - Taliga?

Reactions: martygod12

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Thanks for this. Makes sense about Dravecky. Kind of funny if he left Slovak hockey to play for Czechs and they left him off. So then I wonder about the other Slovak we were given - Taliga?
Yeah I thought it may be because of this, nice to know. Taliga I think is too yound and unexperinced to play on the biggest U17 tournament out of the blue. I am sure he will get chance in some U17 or U16 NT games.

Novak as I look at it is probably injured, he played only 3 games and last was in early september so he is injured I guess, otherwise I am sure he would be there.

And what to think about the team is that the D group looks much more interesting then the F group.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
And what to think about the team is that the D group looks much more interesting then the F group.
Which is a trend. We've tried to overcorrect our problem. We used to be a nation of wingers. Now it seems goalies and D are our thing.

To be honest, that is so much better. I'll always take the team with stronger D and G over the team with stronger forwards.

Since I'm a geek... I rewatched the 2005 Gold win in Vienna the other day.. our blueline was 7 guys that played in the NHL...

1729353910566.png

We are a decade away from having anything like this again. Size and skill. Even worse, the season after this lockout one.. we had 22 NHL Dman...

Sorry, it was too big to screencap.lol

Today we don't have 22 skaters. 3 D and Jiricek about to make it 4 on the bottom pair in Columbus due to an injury.

I am declaring today as the rock bottom for Czech NHL D in HISTORY. Once Jiricek scores a few points and sticks to the big club, the comeback begins!

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Novak! That's the one that is missing for me. Wasn't he the guy at the Youth Olympic Games?

View attachment 918547

Thank you, I knew someone was missing. And Frolo seems to be in some kind of fight with our federation.lol He can join Svozil and Badinka.lol
Novák's absence is a big loss for the team. Last year, the first attack was far behind the rest of the team in terms of performance, especially at the Youth Olympics.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Which is a trend. We've tried to overcorrect our problem. We used to be a nation of wingers. Now it seems goalies and D are our thing.

To be honest, that is so much better. I'll always take the team with stronger D and G over the team with stronger forwards.

Since I'm a geek... I rewatched the 2005 Gold win in Vienna the other day.. our blueline was 7 guys that played in the NHL...

View attachment 918555

We are a decade away from having anything like this again. Size and skill. Even worse, the season after this lockout one.. we had 22 NHL Dman...

Sorry, it was too big to screencap.lol

Today we don't have 22 skaters. 3 D and Jiricek about to make it 4 on the bottom pair in Columbus due to an injury.

I am declaring today as the rock bottom for Czech NHL D in HISTORY. Once Jiricek scores a few points and sticks to the big club, the comeback begins!
Thats depressing lol, more czech Ds in 05-06 season then we have skaters right now lol. Rock botton was declared by all of us many times, I think this year might be it. And still hope I will look at NHL stats in 10yrs from now and will see at least 30 czech skaters playing full time with at least 10 Ds. Man can hope lol

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Thats depressing lol, more czech Ds in 05-06 season then we have skaters right now lol. Rock botton was declared by all of us many times, I think this year might be it. And still hope I will look at NHL stats in 10yrs from now and will see at least 30 czech skaters playing full time with at least 10 Ds. Man can hope lol
I declare it TODAY because Jiricek will get in the lineup today and stay in the lineup. That gets us to 4 full time NHL D who are important to their clubs.

Baby steps Marty, baby steps.lol

And obviously Dvorak, Svozil, Spacek and Hamara will all get NHL games this season as well.

I'll see myself out!

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
I declare it TODAY because Jiricek will get in the lineup today and stay in the lineup. That gets us to 4 full time NHL D who are important to their clubs.

Baby steps Marty, baby steps.lol

And obviously Dvorak, Svozil, Spacek and Hamara will all get NHL games this season as well.

I'll see myself out!
And Sale will crack Seattle lineup right after gold at WJC :D

What a bright future ahead of us lol

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
And Sale will crack Seattle lineup right after gold at WJC :D
Exactly this!

also Galvas will go in round 1 in his overage year after that same gold.

Round 1 will be Galvas, Benak and Mrtka. No doubt in my mind.lol

On a more serious note.. Badinka got his first in SHL this year and I'm thrilled they kept him in SHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dravecky is too old. Goes by date of birth, not age. He’s born December 19, 2007. You must be born no earlier than January 1, 2008 to participate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad