OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

ChaosLord

Jan 16, 2010
So the Jets fire their head coach 4-5 weeks into the season (which in of itself makes no sense), and then they go out today and trade for Davante Adams, one of the best WRs in the game.

You tankin', or going all in, New York? Now wonder you haven't won anything since 1969.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So the Jets fire their head coach 4-5 weeks into the season (which in of itself makes no sense), and then they go out today and trade for Davante Adams, one of the best WRs in the game.

You tankin', or going all in, New York? Now wonder you haven't won anything since 1969.
Given the relationship with Rodgers/Adams and the meeting the night before the firing with Rodgers and the owner it's not hard to read the tea leaves.

Saleh probably didn't see eye to eye with Rodgers, who thought he was bigger than the team/coach, and ownership wanted to make AR happy. So they cut Saleh loose and brought in Adams.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Given the relationship with Rodgers/Adams and the meeting the night before the firing with Rodgers and the owner it's not hard to read the tea leaves.

Saleh probably didn't see eye to eye with Rodgers, who thought he was bigger than the team/coach, and ownership wanted to make AR happy. So they cut Saleh loose and brought in Adams.
This is much more thoughtful than my immediate response: they're jus Woody Johnsoning,

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’d be shocked if this was this dudes first rodeo with this. Literally.

Who says “I don’t lose” after one altercation?
That’s a summary of current AND past performance.

It’s akin to “I am inevitable” by Thanos. You need some past cred to have that belief.

So FAK this guy. Hope he’s arrested and made a pariah. GTFO man
Looks like the cops are going after this guy and need the victims identities so they can press charges

1729038897159.png

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Definitely going for it. They’d just keep the coach if they were tanking. Rodgers is 40 and has been non-committal about playing next year so it could be now or never. The defense seems good enough to win a championship but the offense has scored the same number of points through last night’s game that the offense under Zach Wilson scored last year in the same number of games. It’s Super Bowl or bust this year for them.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yes if we can add a CB1, edge player who can get 10 sacks 1v1 and a WR2 .. then we can do some damage. Damage being winning a WC game.

But unless we are adding all that mid season via trade (spoiler = we arent).... Id suggest from my keyboard we stay the course. 6 games in, we dont need to throw our long term plans out the window bc Jayden and Terry connected for a few tough throws and catches.

We all agree, improve the team when you can at all times, never stop looking to improve. Its the "if the value is there" subjective part that no one can agree on. If there are 20 or so of us .. there are going to be 20 or so varying opinions on what is value.

Adam Peters we trust. I trust he will be patient and go big name hunting this offseason like he said a few months ago.

.. unless theres value.
In GMAP we trust. I feel towards him as I do to GMBM (even if he’s not GM), and GMME (Orioles). We have some great GM’s going these days. With GMAP being the chef’s kiss, right now.

So, I get that fully.

The whole argument of:
“I *think* we should wait wait wait” ……….when we *KNOW* we have 5 cost controlled years of JD5, doesn’t jive for me. We know that we have 5 cost controlled years. Period End. And that’s all we really know.

So, maximize ALL those years, it totem. I’m not saying “sell all futures, now is the time!!!” Like not at all. This is a 2-3yr build and they need to plug the gaps in all manners (just like the Niners, Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers, etc have done, and the Patriots used too). Starting right now.

But now could be the time. At least to give this team a chance to experience a large building block wrt to “learning how to win”. That Ravens game was one.

A playoff game (or 2?!?) would be huge for everyone invested in this franchise.

Learning To Win.

Reactions: ynotcaps

ChaosLord

Jan 16, 2010
Definitely going for it. They’d just keep the coach if they were tanking. Rodgers is 40 and has been non-committal about playing next year so it could be now or never. The defense seems good enough to win a championship but the offense has scored the same number of points through last night’s game that the offense under Zach Wilson scored last year in the same number of games. It’s Super Bowl or bust this year for them.
Tall order considering they play in the same conference as the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens and Texans.
Jets just be a cursed franchise.

Edit: BTW Sycamore sent down to the minors. I've been meaning to change that username for some time now :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Good stuff, as always, from JT

I know it was a loss, and there weren’t as many big highlight plays. But, in terms of operating from the pocket, and consistently making pure NFL throws - this may have been one of JD’s best games. Especially, in the face of a Ravens D that does a lot of pre-snap disguises.

Last edited:
Reactions: ynotcaps

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Building in NFL is so different than NHL. In NFL, you can pivot quickly. I would do that on offense right now. We have a star in JD. He has proven he can move an offense. Outside of TML, people are just outperforming their contract/ability. So go get a stud number 2 right now.
I fully admit I know nothing (I thought picking a QB with no ability to prove him was dumb, but the OL has been performing well and JD is JD).

But.

Making moves for a WR when our defense is so porous feels like conceding the fact that we can't win without putting up 42 every game. If it was my money and draft capital, I'd want to spend it on every level of the defense before boosting the offense.

Just my 2 cents

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Not to put it out there, but if TML, um, caught a really bad flu that knocked him out for a month or 2 or 3, what would our offense look like then?

Well, as long as we're giving guys fictional illnesses, isn't it just as likely that the wideout you trade for will, um, accidentally slam his pecker in a car door and be out for a month or 2 or 3? Then what?

Guys get injured. You're basically arguing, "We only have Terry! So let's give up some draft picks to get WR2 or 1b or whatever so that if Terry gets injured we will be right back where we started, which I'm saying is not good enough!"

If you're also saying, "OR they both stay healthy and the new guy gives us a real chance to win a Super Bowl," I would remind you that we just got very steadily handled by a team with a can't-miss offense because they can score at will AND stop a strong opposing offense from scoring more. We don't have that.

If you think we're trading for that WR AND enough players to shore up our defense, you've bumped your head. Patience. Maybe Terry won't get that fictional flu.

Our D is at least 2 players from being good -- either 2 DBs or 1 rusher and 1 DB -- and honestly, possibly more.

Our O is one player away from being almost unstoppable.

So we have basically the worst D in the league, and marginally improving our offense is going to overcome that? I'm all for you and Rid's "Let's live in The Now!" mentality, but I'm also a fan of living in reality. We're not one receiver away from doing something incredible.

It wouldn't upset me if the team made a reasonable trade for a Higgins, for example. But if they do that and nothing else, all it likely does for us this year, if anything, is to win maybe a little more. Giving up picks to lower our draft position seems counterintuitive to me.

There will be plenty of talent in free agency next year. It's like we've been shot in the chest, stumbled into triage, and you're prioritizing the scrape on our elbow over the sucking chest wound.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Well, as long as we're giving guys fictional illnesses, isn't it just as likely that the wideout you trade for will, um, accidentally slam his pecker in a car door and be out for a month or 2 or 3? Then what?

Guys get injured. You're basically arguing, "We only have Terry! So let's give up some draft picks to get WR2 or 1b or whatever so that if Terry gets injured we will be right back where we started, which I'm saying is not good enough!"

If you're also saying, "OR they both stay healthy and the new guy gives us a real chance to win a Super Bowl," I would remind you that we just got very steadily handled by a team with a can't-miss offense because they can score at will AND stop a strong opposing offense from scoring more. We don't have that.

If you think we're trading for that WR AND enough players to shore up our defense, you've bumped your head. Patience. Maybe Terry won't get that fictional flu.

So we have basically the worst D in the league, and marginally improving our offense is going to overcome that? I'm all for you and Rid's "Let's live in The Now!" mentality, but I'm also a fan of living in reality. We're not one receiver away from doing something incredible.

It wouldn't upset me if the team made a reasonable trade for a Higgins, for example. But if they do that and nothing else, all it likely does for us this year, if anything, is to win maybe a little more. Giving up picks to lower our draft position seems counterintuitive to me.

There will be plenty of talent in free agency next year. It's like we've been shot in the chest, stumbled into triage, and you're prioritizing the scrape on our elbow over the sucking chest wound.
If our new WR slams his pecker in the car door, we still have a #1 receiver in the new guy. If we don't get a guy and our #1 slams his pecker in a car door we're -- peckerless.

And it seems to me your argument is "let's not invest in the O this year because with this defense, we're not going to win the SB this year." Well, you don't put all the pieces of an SB winner in one year, you build that team. If a couple of thirds in the next 2 years could yield you a 25-year old #1-caliber WR that you can lock up for the remainder of your rookie QB's contract, why wouldn't you? This isn't a 30 yo Cooper and a 32 yo Adams. This is guy entering his prime, and we can get all of it.

I can guarantee you that third rounders in '25 and '26 aren't going to yield immediate starters that are going to improve our chance of winning in JD's first contract window. But guess what? It's not like the assets we would spend on getting TH in the door are the only assets we have to improve this team. We still have our 1sts and 2nds, which might, and still plenty of cap room for FA's or pending FA trade targets.

I honestly don't understand the mentality of "if you can't fix everything, don't fix anything," or even "if you can't fix the most important thing, don't fix anything."

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

lol ok Larry…
That's, uh... crazy? Yeah, that's the word. Crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad