Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v6 | Fri, Sept 13 | vs StL | 7pm ET/4pm PT | TBA vs TBA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If he had even a decent April we would be talking about this as arguably the best offensive season by a Blue Jay. As it is, he's a bit behind the big three (Delgado, Olerud, Bautista) but still closing the gap.

I just feel like everything that was discussed last season about how weird and unlucky of a year he had and how he really can replicate that 2021 season has been fully vindicated.

The amount of people legitimately thinking minor league stadiums pumped his stats up (while making everyone else worse???) was maddening.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I mean... of course they do. They sold off all their better bullpen arms that weren't hurt. So it stands to reason that what's left is cast-offs, waiver claims, call-ups, and also-rans.

They also won't need to spend that much because the relief market still way overpays for closers so you can pluck middle relivers and setup guys who are nearly as good off the market for a fraction of the price.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Green with 2 of the worst performances I’ve seen in years back to back.

Glad they lost but not ideal

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This reads as if he thinks there's someone out there who disagrees with him, which is weird.

Like... does he think management believes these post-deadline waiver pickups are the answer? They're all just temporary filler, with an outside chance that one or two can work their way into a depth role for next year.

The 'long been obvious' quote is also a bit weird. The bullpen was outstanding in 2023. It's been obvious that it's a problem since ... May.

Reactions: aingefan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The 'long been obvious' quote is also a bit weird. The bullpen was outstanding in 2023. It's been obvious that it's a problem since ... May.

That's the thing I also don't get. The pen heading into this year was constructed according to what he wants. Richards, Swanson, Romano, Garcia were all strong pen arms acquired and paid well to be the core of the pen.

And then it didn't work out, because it turns out that spending money on a risky position full of randomness and uncertainty is no sure thing. The only reason they have waiver claims and upside plays is because Romano is hurt and they sold off Richards and Garcia when it was clear they were struggling because it was a chance to bring in some assets for expiring contracts and things they didn't need at the time.

Making it sound like this pen right now is the one they built with the intention of competing is a laughable mischaracterization.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mr. August.

It was beautiful while it lasted.

(this isn't to say Francis still can't be a 'normal' good starter for this team moving forward)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So there are commercials during the game to say that Bravo is coming back as a channel, except instead of like theatre and culture and stuff it's just trashfire reality shows?

That's certainly a choice. Though I guess it shouldn't be a surprise since A&E and TLC both went the route of devolving from highbrow education and entertainment into a dumpster of garbage loser reality crap.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So there are commercials during the game to say that Bravo is coming back as a channel, except instead of like theatre and culture and stuff it's just trashfire reality shows?

That's certainly a choice. Though I guess it shouldn't be a surprise since A&E and TLC both went the route of devolving from highbrow education and entertainment into a dumpster of garbage loser reality crap.

Literally every TV station has devolved into a dumpster of garbage loser reality crap.

It's cheap to produce, stupid people love it, and most people are stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad