GDT: Young Stars Tournament - Game 1 - Jets vs Flames - Friday, September 13th - 6:00 PM CT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shlep

Sep 13, 2024
I get David Perron vibes. A cross between those two would be fantastic!!
Higher pace than Perron, better shooting (but worse awareness) than Tanev. He reminds me of a later round version of Evander Kane more than anything; a physical sniper with a high work ethic and tunnel vision. Absolute best outcome is a Zach Hyman type. Again, my opinion. Guy can absolutely snipe when he gets the chance though.

Shlep

Sep 13, 2024
Quick thoughts (why not? edition)...

Really like our late picks from this year, He, Walton and Loponen. Walton played at a good pace and showed he can make plays at speed. That's impressive for a 6'6" forward at 18 in this scrambly style. Loponen was also confident and sharp with the puck in the first half. LW He plays a fast energetic game and is confident with the puck, and loves to shoot.

Lambert looked a step above the rest, and you could see how most of his teammates just don't play fast enough to complement him.

Chibrikov showed some of his edge and skills, but played a loose game overall.

Yager has more speed than I expected and is confident with the puck. I think he'll be better with mores structured play.

Barlow wasn't very involved. Is he still getting back to full speed? He needs another step. But he is an opportunistic player that finds space and jumps on opportunities.

Salomonsson looked sluggish and probably hasn't played in such a scrambled game for a few years.

Kuzmin was fun to watch but I'm not sure how he translates that type of game beyond the AHL level.

Zhilkin and Julien were solid enough.

Torgersson might have been the best forward, but just can't finish.

Anhorn will be a steady AHL D.

Lots of chaos with Milic in net, and that's generally not good.
Milic has iffy rebound control but great fundamentals. When Hellebuyck came in my biggest concern was that he couldn't keep the puck in his glove. That's an easy thing to work on relative to something foundational like positioning.

If I had to choose between a goalie prospect that put up great numbers through pure athleticism and a goalie that put up great numbers through fundamentals, I take the fundamentals. You can train a goalie with a poor glove by shooting continuously at his glove. By the time a goalie has succeeded with pure athleticism it's much more difficult to replace that foundation.

Last edited:

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
I’m hoping to see more from Barlow. Honestly of all the games I’ve watched him I can say I have big question marks.

Lambert is good skill. He gives the impression that he is a step ahead of everyone else and the other players just can’t match. Will be interesting if that theory holds up when he plays with others that can match his abilities

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Too bad about gassing the breakaway at the end but overall I would say (quoting my favourite band from my college days in England) that The Kids Are Alright.

I'm also impressed with the camera work and angles from Penticton. Having heard how many millions must be spent to make an arena NHL-ready for broadcast, this little BC city is doing one helluva job.

Just ordered and received the collectors addition vinyl of Quadrophinia. One of my all time favorite albums thematically and musically. The photographs and story telling of that era are so well displayed in the liner notes. Listening to Moon and Entwhistle riff on “The Real Me” never gets old for me. Such an unconventional innovative rythem section. I was obsessed with the Who when I was in my early 20’s.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Honestly I love so many things about the game of hockey as a player but nothing can top just being wth the boys, goofing around and having fun.

I have so many great friendships from the sport.

Really like Julien, I think there is something there that will make a fantastic pro.
Yeah he wasn't on my radar at all but he was really impressive. When he gets up to man weight he is going to be a handful.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Milic has iffy rebound control but great fundamentals. When Hellebuyck came in my biggest concern was that he couldn't keep the puck in his glove. That's an easy thing to work on relative to something foundational like positioning.

If I had to choose between a goalie prospect that put up great numbers through pure athleticism and a goalie that put up great numbers through fundamentals, I take the fundamentals. You can train a goalie with a poor glove by shooting continuously at his glove. By the time a goalie has succeeded with pure athleticism it's much more difficult to replace that foundation.
Milic is also small for a goalie, and NHL shooters can exploit that unless he has very good positioning and challenges precisely. To me, he looks like he's scrambly in his crease and plays a bit deep under pressure. I have concerns that it will be tough to play like that at the NHL level. But he has a long time to develop his game.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My bold prediction:

Barlow will become the next HFJets whipping boy, even if he scores 35 a year
This kind of game isn't going to suit a player like Barlow because it's very scrambly and wingers that lack top speed can get lost in the scramble. I'd like to see him in a more structured setting to see how he uses his skillset, which revolves around straight-line hockey, structured fire checking, and finding soft areas in the offensive zone for scoring. He also has good anticipation in his zone and decent acceleration, as he showed on the OT winner last night.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
This kind of game isn't going to suit a player like Barlow because it's very scrambly and wingers that lack top speed can get lost in the scramble. I'd like to see him in a more structured setting to see how he uses his skillset, which revolves around straight-line hockey, structured fire checking, and finding soft areas in the offensive zone for scoring. He also has good anticipation in his zone and decent acceleration, as he showed on the OT winner last night.
I was actually pleasantly surprised by his skating yesterday

Not that I thought it was particularly strong, but it was better than I thought it would be after watching some OHL highlights

Mass chaos games like that will always be easier for the quicker/shiftier types to show well

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Really like Julien, I think there is something there that will make a fantastic pro.

I thought he was v good -- calm, composed, positionally smart, reads plays very well. Seems like a high-IQ player who will get better as he settles into his body and the level he's playing at. Maybe a Lowry-type defensive centre with better hands?

Liked Kevin He's game also -- very quick and disruptive player who also made some smart plays under pressure. Looks like another smart pick if he can stay on this trajectory.

Lambert's too good for this level, IMO. Good to see him in full flight but this feels like a TC tuneup for him. Feel the same about Chibby.

Salmo will get better as he gets used to the scattershot playstyle. Didn't look great esp on transition, which is a strong suit for him, but not worried.

Liked Yager's game overall, and Walton also. This is improv hockey, so IMO the more cerebral players are going to find it trickier than those with raw skill and speed / size who can fight through the chaos. I see it more as a venue for getting to watch players I don't often see here (UK) than an accurate gauge of player development or projection.

With that said, I agree that Barlow, who's got the physical tools, should be more involved than he was last night. He's a KFC-type shark player who can make chances out of nothing with that shot and underrated playmaking, but needs to drive things more, and clearly has the tools to do it. Have always thought he was a nifty passer, and impressed again by his top gear.

Thought the D were a bit better than advertised for the most part -- played to a plan and were generally focused.

Not much to say on the goalies -- impossible to tell much from these games, for me at least.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
1000014986.png

Heard it here first. Only let's you bet $10. Wanted to put $10 on mcgroaty too Incase he plays with Crosby, just a long shot of course, hope he fails 😁

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Just ordered and received the collectors addition vinyl of Quadrophinia. One of my all time favorite albums thematically and musically. The photographs and story telling of that era are so well displayed in the liner notes. Listening to Moon and Entwhistle riff on “The Real Me” never gets old for me. Such and unconventional innovative rythem section. I was obsessed with the Who when I was in my early 20’s.
You, sir, have excellent taste.

I wore out my first vinyl copy of "Tommy" and bought a second one. Wore that out, too. Now I've got various digital copies on different devices. Still the best record ever made.

• Love
Reactions: ps241

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
We need a new player for imaginary trade.scenarios every week - maybe we should make a poll to see who is thisnyears Travis sanheim
Well Konecny is off the board now. But Sidney Crosby is likely in his final year in Pittsburgh.
It's losing puck battles that is concerning. Offensive zone puck battles, that go the other way. If Barlow is 50/50 on the puck, the Jets top line would have sustained some chances...same thing in the defensive zone, lose those battles and the shifts can drag out. And then it is a scramble. Or in the back of the net.

A guy like Torgersson, who has more leg strength, played a strong cycle game, was a big reason why the 3rd line got some offensive zone time. Hounding the puck, moving it quickly, and getting to the net. Disruptive on the PK. I think Torgersson was the best winger out there, when you talk about translating a game to pro style, with less defensive break downs, trench work, that's what you want to see, though it's only one tuneup game.

I was surprised that Barlow didn't get 1st PP time, that it went to Levis instead. Then he gives up a SH goal, again getting beat to the front of the net, when he does get PP time. However, that's an area where his heavy shot will get him points. And as you say finding those soft spots in the zone, like Brett Hull used to.

I feel like his OT 2-0 was a bit of good luck, in a game of battles, and if Nikkanen doesn't win his, Barlow's on the wrong side of the puck, giving up a 2-1 in the low zone...one bounce can often be the difference between good offensive instincts, and bad ones, in hockey.

In the end I'm just glad hockey is back.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
We need a new player for imaginary trade.scenarios every week - maybe we should make a poll to see who is thisnyears Travis sanheim
I think you mean Travis Konecny?

For me, it is Thomas Chabot.
As good a LHD as JMo is.
8m AAV for 4 more years but actual pay is about 9.5m per year.
Can play both special teams and is good in his own zone.

Reactions: WolfHouse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad